wire strippers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, May 11, 2004.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

this ought to be in diy section, but it gets read so little, I thought I would try here.

anyone know of some good wire strippers that aren't too dear...if poss that will do coax and thick sheathing too? or am I asking too much.

In any case best for each job? some kak out there, don't want to buy rubbish. thanks

Lt Cdr Data, May 11, 2004
  2. Lt Cdr Data

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Knipex 11 02 160.

You'll never buy another pair of wire strippers.

However, I'm too lazy to swap tools, so most of the time I strip with side cutting pliers.

I-S, May 11, 2004
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Sid and Coke

I use a pair of Elliot Lucas PWSF 19546 for most of my wire stripping needs. Theye are a bit of a pain to set up at first but work great when they are. I think they where about £15 or £20 from B&Q ( of course). I've even used them to strip really fine tonearm wire, they worked consistently with no probs.
    I usually use a surgical scalpel or sharp craft knife to sort out coaxial cable.

Sid and Coke, May 11, 2004
  4. Lt Cdr Data

skp574

I use these in everyday use from RS. RS website

Stock code 736-052 for the small ones of 736-068 for the large ones.

I mainly use the smaller cutters. When new they go through cable like a knife through butter. It's a dream to strip coax. I prefer them over preset stripping units that you wind round the cable. Being a satellite engineer I do a lot of stripping (of cable that it!) and it's a doddle.

Great for T+E as well. I think they are an excellent all round pair of cutters.

And when they are knackered you can use them to prune flowers in the garden. :eek:

skp574, May 11, 2004
  5. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

Isaac - do you mean these?

I have a pair like this one but they're useless for very thin wires, like the extremely thin LC Audio "stripline" wire I was using in my amp. In the end I had to use one of those multipurpose crimp/wire-cutter/stripper pliers but because the insulation on that wire is so slippery I had to hold the wire with a second pair of pliers :eek: . Usually, my teeth work well on those occasions ( :D ) but didn't work for this wire (works great for individual Cat5 wires though)

Michael.

michaelab, May 11, 2004
  6. Lt Cdr Data

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I use my teeth :D Is there a gummy smilie ;)

LiloLee, May 11, 2004
  7. Lt Cdr Data

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Those are the ones, except the plastic mouldings on the handles of mine are rather chunkier (and 1000V insulated, for those "extreme electronics" moments).

Teflon insulated wire is a bast to strip, because the insulation is quite solid, and slips when you try to grip it. I find gripping it with a pair of pliers works.

I use side cutting pliers mostly though, because I can strip quicker and better. You need good, sharp, hard cutters though. I use knipex 70 08 125s (GREAT for trimming the cat's claws too!). Yes, I like knipex tools, and I have never found anything else that's of the same quality. They're expensive, but you only buy them once.

I-S, May 11, 2004
Ask a Question