wiring up

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, Jul 4, 2007.

1. banpe2006

banpe2006

Lst summer I paid a sparky to wire up a plug socket (double gang) to right behind my hifi set up. The socket was on a grey run of cable from a single socket further down the wall.....After extensive listening, it is clear that the new socket sounds awful in comparison to the old one! How can this be? the new socket is a twin, the original a single...could it have anything to do with the cabling and is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
    banpe2006, Jul 4, 2007
  2. banpe2006

gav.d

I'm no electrician but it's possible the single socket was already a spur i.e. not part of the ring main and what you've done is extended that spur which is not good for various reasons.

gav.d, Jul 4, 2007
  3. banpe2006

zanash

Its hard to say .....

if you spot on of those three pin socket testers that give you a read out polarity etc...you might be able to see what the issue is. could be a even a lose ground somewhere

and yes the cable used could have an effect if the sparky used multistrand say and the rest the house is standard twin and earth ....or visa versa

cant you run a cable from the original good sounding socket, with a decent 4 way block ?

zanash, Jul 4, 2007
  4. banpe2006

Jimbo

Probably best to have a direct feed and cut out all that ring main stuff. I have heard on forums to go for 10mm wire. Not sure whether they mean 30amp. Jim.

Jimbo, Jul 4, 2007
  5. banpe2006

banpe2006

yes I can run a 4 gang from it, but it looks a mess....whats a direct feed jimbo?

banpe2006, Jul 4, 2007
  6. banpe2006

Jimbo

New connection from fusebox, no spurs or ring mains in the path. Ask your sparky about it. Supposed to give an upgrade in performance so i have read. Jim.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
    Jimbo, Jul 4, 2007
Ask a Question