WM - Top Cable Guy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Alex S, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Alex S

Alex S User

Tone's lead for the HX1.2 finally arrived by pigeon yesterday. I/we had already deduced that the Eupen was crap for the power but good enough for the rest. Now the power has got what it wants its finally woken up from being half asleep or, has at last got over a bad cold. No hi-fi/musicality terms needed, its just better.

Alex

Alex S, Nov 5, 2003
  2. Alex S

penance Arrogant Cock

is this an omiga power lead prey tell?

penance, Nov 5, 2003
  3. Alex S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Just been experimenting, with various different combinations of things :cool: Alex, was definitely a 'wanky wire' sceptic, so if Alex feels it's improved things in his earth system, then we must be on the right lines penance.
    I may well be visiting Alex soon, and listen to his unique system :) Wm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2003
    wadia-miester, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Alex S

penance Arrogant Cock

sounds good Tone

i take it its a biggy for amp use

penance, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Alex S

Penance, well on the grand scheme of things no, just a shade bigger in girth than the Eupen, however it works a well on sources as it does on amps up to 250 Wpc (digital amps more so, as they are over 90% efficent).
    A non-***** version will be available soon. Volenteer testing ? Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Alex S

penance Arrogant Cock

ah, well, i always volanteer:)

penance, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Alex S

Steven Toy

I'm currently playing around with two of Tone's middle-ranking interconnects. Both are DIN/RCA, but one is terminated with a lockable DIN as per Naim wires, the other has Eichmanns and a non-lockable DIN.

The first one is a real smoothie with a deep and well controlled bass and slightly rolled-off treble.

The second one has the bass of the first, but is FAST, punchy, times like a bastard and at the same time is more detailed and open at the top end.

My Anthem comes somewhere between the two but is considerably more costly than either.

The second one is clearly a winner and comes Recommended for use in Toy-fi.

Steven Toy, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Alex S

MO! MOnkey`ead!

OK, this isn't just aimed at yours, which many people have stated very positive views about, so you seem to have got it right. But why do they cost so much? I fail to see how ANY cable can cost more than £50-£100 max? The materials are basicaly those available elsewhere yes? OFC Copper, silver/silver plated. etc...

Of course there's design, testing, and obviously profit. And also "percieved value" but why not do something really great, why not bring out a cable that pisses all over these high cost efforts and price it realisticly? I'm guessing about the material cost, but I don't imagine i'm far out, am I?

Am I missing something? Obviously cable manufacturers want to make a living out of it, but why not cut profit margins, and knock a zero or so off and just blow pretty much all competition away? How can one OFC cable cost £20 and another £20K :rolleyes:

Not trying to start any bitching ;) Just not sure what i'm missing. Is the pricing realistic, or is it just realistic compared to the competition.

MO :JOEL:

MO!, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Alex S

Mo, fair point, we just do things differently from most other people. Yes R & D have a large part to play, however we use the most import measurement instrument there is, Our ears, price wise, they are more than competitive with recongnised leaders in the next group above (price wise), and quality wise too.
    People make there own minds up, all they have to do is just give them a listen :) Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 6, 2003
  10. Alex S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Mo!

When I met up with WM once he told me about the extraordinary lengths he's gone to in trialling different combinations of cable/dialectic.

Omegas most expensive cable is around £200 - (as far as Im aware, stand to be corrected). The bullet plugs cost around £30, so I think its a fair enough price for all the hard work he's done. The build quality was very good, and the sound as good as Ive ever heard from an interconnect.

I agree with you that when you start getting into many multiples of hundreds you have to question where you money is going, and if the end product justifies the cost - most importantly in sonic terms of course.

At the moment Im using £10 interconnects on my system, and eventually will get £30 ones because I want slightly better RFI shielding on them.

I dont see the value in interconnects and power cables that I have tried - when there are so many things that I have to buy first - like an orbe platter, a new TT power supply, a better CD transport etc. Ive heard the differences these will make in my system, and I want to achieve them. They are far from subtle differences.

For me personally interconnects are there for cake icing, and Im not really into that.. each to their own of course, mmv etc etc

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 6, 2003
  11. Alex S

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Fair enough. As I said, all reports so far have seemed very positive, and pretty much along the lines of "better than those costing a fair bit MOre". I take it to mean the pricing is good/realistic compared to the competition then. A man's gotta make a living eh?

Maybe if I should ever get some boxes which might be worth spending a couple of hundred connecting togeather, i'll give your's a try. ;)

Good luck and well done

MO :D

MO!, Nov 6, 2003
  12. Alex S

voodoo OdD

I'd certainly be interested in the processes involved ;). For example (In relation to Omiga ;) ) :

In what way do the various materials involved have an impact (Gold/Silver/Copper etc) ?
    Do particular types of cable work better with specific terminations ?
    Which work better as power cables/interconnects/digital cables ?
    How does cable construction affect the application of the cable ?

As WM says, first and foremost they use their ears and there is no better judge in this world of hi-fi. But by now, Omiga must know which pieces of the cable puzzle work for specific applications.

I don't doubt for a second that it's all Voodoo :p ; I'm just interested in the view point of what makes them work ;) :D :cool: .

voodoo, Nov 6, 2003
  13. Alex S

Well all the points Voodoo has raised are valid, some times a combination of 2 or 3 are need, plus other interesting 'twists'.
    Material interaction is we feel a key matter in the final process of finishing the sound as well.
    You can build say 5 cables, all identical, save one element missing in each, E.G. no silver in one, or gold in another or rhodium plating etc, how different will they sound?, what shielding is used, if any?, or combination of them, do you use double opposed twisted pairs?, Cyro them/ cook them?, do termination makes a difference?, will a power cable work well with an I/c, ?
    For every one change in construction can lead to so many variables, who cares?, do it really work?, why do people bother with cables it's all :bs: anyway :D
    Well, we do, and it seems do a few other people to.
    Just for the record, all our middle and above cables are unique, no importing and rebadging, or 'Out making' , we brew our own cables, all our own work.
    Do they perform wonders NO, will they make the TEA NO, do they give multiple orgasms for 3 hours, (best practice some more then guys)
    Will they work your system, possibly, sometimes it makes no difference at all :eek: others it just helps you kit work better.
    Sorry not ment to be pitch, just a reply.
    It is Voodoo, or :bs: :) Well your ears are the best Judge. Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 6, 2003
Ask a Question