WM's cables slagged off

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Phill77, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Phill77

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Just cuz you use a 125mm expandable reamer with silicone lubicant Paul, just don't judge others by your standards :)

wadia-miester, Nov 25, 2003
  2. Phill77

merlin

Only because you cut them all down to power the industrial revolution and the government gave you council houses in an attempt to introduce civilisation if my memory serves me right.

merlin, Nov 25, 2003
  3. Phill77

penance Arrogant Cock

Hmm and i thought it was real, not a silicon enhanced prosthetic:mad:

penance, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Phill77

Steven Toy

Maddog 2 you have a pm

Steven Toy, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Phill77

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Erm what has being northern got to with council houses and cooking cables? Do northerners cook cables for breakfast?

amazingtrade, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Phill77

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Nope, normally they cook babies.

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Phill77

maddog 2

cheers Steven.

maddog 2, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Phill77

maddog 2

I was joking about living in trees. Sheesh... you southerners.

maddog 2, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Phill77

michaelab desafinado

OK, fair enough Paul - only going by measurable differences could be called objective but unfortunately HiFi just isn't like that. There are differences that won't show up in any scientific measurement but can easily be heard.

If measurements were all that were needed then we could all just go by the Stereophile lab reports and not have to bother auditioning anything :rolleyes:

Hifi is subjective by its very nature because differnent people like different things.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 25, 2003
  10. Phill77

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Ah-ha, a "The Hi-fi world is flat" forum, marvellous.

They can't be bothered to investigate the stuff, so they're not bothered, or am I not reading it right?

Cheers

(www.omigaaudio.co.uk)

timpy, Nov 25, 2003
  11. Phill77

BlueMax

Cable BUTTIES anyone?

Russ Andrews a 'northerner' too?

BlueMax, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Phill77

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Im 80% of the way there with you bud.

Some things in audio can be easily heard and are harder to explain...

BUT.. sometimes one person hears a change from a..... whatever... cable, cable toaster, SID disc, green pen, Mana rack, (the list is endless) that THEY consider ... MASSIVE, and others consider to be either small/none and therefore not worth bothering with.

Whats really subjective, is whether any given change is in fact an improvement, and furthermore how much of an improvement has been given.

Very soon, I will hopefully hopefully have (origninal RRPS) 4k source, 3.5k amp 3k speakers -all joined together with £10 moulded plug interconnects!!, and (almost) bog standard mains!! :D

bottleneck, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Phill77

maddog 2

ah but he lives in Cumbria ........... another world up there you know :sheep:

maddog 2, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Phill77

voodoo OdD

Bottleneck, best run for the hills before the Cable Warriors come to get you and :SWMBO: you until you submit. Then the M*N* boi's will be ready to 're-level' you in a very slow and painful (but precise) manner.

:duck:

voodoo, Nov 25, 2003
  15. Phill77

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Hi Maddog

From all of our collective experiances here, Nu-Vista is funny stuff. Personally I don't like it much these days, that doesn't mean that I haven't heard it sounding good, becuse I have, it just seems to be about the most system sensitive stuff imaginable. Perhaps it's the inductors, I just don't know. I had some once with the Arcam Alpha 10, and it was doing a very passable job at the time, but I can't imagine being able to use it with my Beat 100 now.

The thing about the GWS is that it seems to have a taming effect, and a hi-fi sounding top. It's not nasty, but for the Densens, it's not good at the same things that they are, I'd be tempted to have a look at something else, even a different home brew effort. GWS robs the drive for me, but then again that may just be me. :)

Cheers

timpy, Nov 25, 2003
  16. Phill77

maddog 2

yeah I was a little surprised with the Nu-Vista's performance. You're always hopeful that a new cable or whatever is going to be better but this just wasn't the case this time.

The thing is my Nu-Vista doesn't have the ferrite clamps (got it free you see :) ) so I started thinking maybe this was the reason for the unimpressive performance and therfore I should buy some ferrite clamps. Then I thought, maybe they need a better system to work well (always a good one that ;).

But whatever the reason, they're not staying. The sound is to fizzy for my liking. The Chord Co. Sirens work very well in my system so there's no big rush to solve a problem.

As for the GWS, I may make one up for the CDP-pre connection just to try it. We'll see. The silver Shark wire from Maplin seems like a decent cable. Any other options out there?

I could always just buy some very good cables and have done with it.

maddog 2, Nov 25, 2003
  17. Phill77

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I'm interested to see the anti Nu-Vista posts here, especially relating to Densen kit since I'm in the process of replacing the Nu-Vista I have between pre (Densen) an power amps. I'd actually say I find it very slightly dull sounding, robbing some high end detail. Mine is though the 2.5m job, so that may be an issue. I'm replacing it with Rewster's old CAD Anacreon BTW, which is what I'm using DAC to pre.

MartinC, Nov 25, 2003
  18. Phill77

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

You could indeed, and I could recommend some if you like ;)

As for the Nu-Vista, even with the ferrites on it, it seemed to get unruly at the top to me, with a (what they call) acerbic quality to the treble. When the Kabers arrived, it was clear that they were none too special down the bottom either (something WM had been telling me for a while), with a fair amount of uncontrolled low frequency stuff coming through which all but completely disappeared time when the Nu-Vista's were whipped out and some Cable Talk Monitor 3 or Sonic Link Violet went in. That is where I tend to classify it, with those two, and it couldn't even seem to hold a candle to the Ixos Ixotica which at the time was a competitior at it's price.

As for brewing cables, many people like the GWS, and it isn't bad, but for me it's poor for what I want. I need drive (as a closet FE'er with a FE amp and FE speakers :D ) and that's one of the reasons why WM and I do what we do. More expensive cables get more hi-fi as a rule, almost inspite of the music. That was no good for us. Drive is the theme.

If your after the same sort of thing, then personally I'd leave the Maplins sourced cables alone, lest you end upmaking several DIY efforts and never move any closer to what you're after. Silver = increased Hi-fi attributes as far as those cables go, but Silver robs drive in that context. Silver can be used to good effect, but not in anything we've seen that comes available as a DIY ingredient, especially in the form of GWS.

Just our opinions, I'm not trying to incite any satisfied users of the stuff.

Cheers

timpy, Nov 25, 2003
  19. Phill77

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Hi

Don't know about the longer lengths, although I doubt they're better than the shorter stuff. It seemed very system sensitive, although I have to admit I have't heard it sound dull, usually too much bordering the other way normally.

If I still had some I'd plug it into the Densen and try it, but alas I haven't, and my passive pre-stage may well cause spurious results as well. I cant imagine me liking it somehow, not knowing how it responded with the Alpha 10, the Densen being that much more transparent and consequently less forgiving.

Cheers

timpy, Nov 25, 2003
  20. Phill77

MO! MOnkey`ead!

LMAO!

Personaly I didn't really see paul doing anything wrong before being jumped on here. Acted a bit of a prick after that, as did others. We like to think this forum is open and welcoming of all views and preferances, that's not truly the case though. There is a general vibe here, and if you go against it, you will stand out.
    Still a great place MOst of the time though :D

MO!, Nov 25, 2003
Ask a Question