World Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by LinearMan, Dec 4, 2006.

1. LinearMan

LinearMan

I'm considering buying a World Audio KEL84 amplifier. I remember seeing that WAD had run into difficuties. Does anyone know if these have now been solved? Any opinions on the adviseability of buying an amp from them would be very much appreciated. Whilst these amps are not exactly expensive, I wouldn't want to part with cash and then find out that deliveries are probelmatic, etc.

Thanks

LinearMan, Dec 4, 2006
  2. LinearMan

felix part-time Horta

WAD got bought out by Peter Comeau ( of Heybrook fame), and has basically resurfaced as World Designs, with new designs and some support of previous models.

Have a good look at the new forum:
    http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/
    - which seems very friendly bunch and I'm sure could answer any questions you may have.

Rob Holt has plenty of (positive) experience with a WAD amp and support thereof pre- and post changeover, so I hope he pitches in here soon and puts me right... and I must say the amp he built - a WAD Kit6550 - sounds superb IMO.

felix, Dec 4, 2006
  3. LinearMan

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

Hi

World Audio folded last year. Peter Comeau managed to acquire the WAD stock shortly after starting "World Designs".

I've ordered from both and the long lead times and missing bits of days gone by are long gone.

this year I've ordered a HD83 (April) and a KEL84 (July) , and both arrived within a few days of order (the Pre I ordered from WAD took around 8 weeks, by comparison.)

if there are any problems, Peter has proved to be more than helpful in resolving them.

I've no hesitation in recommending world-designs' kits
    (www.world-designs.co.uk) is the new web site.

the KEL is a straightforward kit to build, and I had a lot of fun building mine. :)

kennyk, Dec 4, 2006
  4. LinearMan

Sid and Coke

Your WAD pre amp sounded pretty neat last time i heard it kenny, pity they don't do it anymore.

Does the KEL84 sound better ? it looks pretty good VFM on paper, Do you get every single part you need to bulid a completed, functional amp ?

Sid and Coke, Dec 4, 2006
  5. LinearMan

RobHolt Moderator

I would echo Kenny's comments.
    The stuff is very well specified and you have the support of a thriving forum.

The KEL84 is a great amp with a good solid tranformer set able to deliver full output across the audible range.
    It can be easily converted for use as a power amp and used with the upcoming modular phono stage and pre units.

There are lots of good things you can do to these amps (and the 6550/88 amps) because the basic design is solid and stable - have a look around the WD forum for ideas - the sky is the limit :)

RobHolt, Dec 4, 2006
  6. LinearMan

RobHolt Moderator

The WAD Pre/Phono/PSU2 are just about to be reborn as the........wait for it...........WD Pre/Phono/PSU3 :)

RobHolt, Dec 4, 2006
  7. LinearMan

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

**stop the press!**

just heard the NEW.... EL84 amp from Nick Lucas and hifi collective.

Should be available when the build manual is drawn up - probably another month.

Early specs - single box chasis, 8 x EL34 giving about 35w per channel. Can also be run single ended.

Looks very interesting, with more than twice the power of a WAD84 or a Leak Stereo 20.

Getting better, its going to be the entry level kit, coming in well below £400.

magic.

bottleneck, Dec 4, 2006
  8. LinearMan

well, the new Hifi World is featuring the first part of the Pre3 - it's a completely different design for the Line level section, featuring relay-switched inputs (the PreII had a wiring loom, its only detractor, IMO)
    the phono will be very similar with better MC transformers from what I understand.

the KEL84 sounds awesome, VFM wise. I had mine at a bakeoff, and it sounded excellent - though the EL34 Primaluna pipped it to the post in terms of control - the room was quite big and needed a bit more grunt from the amp and KEL is only 15wpc.

to answer your last question, yes every single nut and bolt, everything is provided that you will need. :)

kennyk, Dec 4, 2006
  9. LinearMan

LinearMan

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like it'll be worth a punt; providing that they get back to me with a reasonable delivery time. I'd be going for a built amp, as it's many years since I used a soldering iron in anger!

LinearMan, Dec 4, 2006
  10. LinearMan

if you're interested you can follow my KEL84 build thread over on wigwam:
    http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum19/7098.html complete with photos (when the thread wasn't going off at tangents regarding 211 amp rebuilds...)

kennyk, Dec 4, 2006
  11. LinearMan

felix part-time Horta

Excellent...might just treat myself to a set for fun and variety...

felix, Dec 4, 2006
  12. LinearMan

griffo104

I've heard Kenny's WAD gear at the bake off he mentioned. When he moved the amp in to the back room and fitted it bewtween my Orbe SE/Technoarm/Dorian via his WAD phono and a pair of Revolver R33's I actually preferred the presntation of the all WAD electronics over the Prima Luna.

Lacked a little in bass depth but the quality was there and the detail coming out of the speakers was excellent - no flab on it at all, revealing and very enjoyable.

Once I get all the literature and do some reading up, long term I'm hoping to get one of these kits myself.

griffo104, Dec 5, 2006
Ask a Question