worm eats mp3s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/31/delete_music_worm/

Virus writers have unleashed a worm that attempts to delete MP3 files from infected machines.

The Deletemusic worm spreads via removable devices. As soon as an infected device is accessed the worm will be executed. Thereafter it copies itself onto all drives, including removable devices, and executes whenever Windows is started up on compromised PCs.

The worm is spreading, albeit modestly, causing a small number of infections. Anti-virus vendors such as Symantec rate it as a low to no-risk threat.

Malware capable of zapping MP3 files is rare but far from unprecedented. The Klez-F worm, for example, which was widespread in 2002, overwrote MP3 files (and other file types) on certain days of the month. The Scrambler worm was programmed to scramble MP3 files to sound like a scratched record while the Mylife-G worm overwrote MP3 files with the words "my lIfE".

None of these items of malware made any attempt to differentiate between legitimate and illegitimately obtained music files.

The authors of Deletemusic - the latest example of the genre - remain unknown. Vigilante virus writers or mischief makers are the probable perps though the involvement of music industry itself in some form or another isn't entirely implausible, given past form.

Either way the consequences of infection are serious for infected Windows users.

"With so many people relying on their PCs to store their digital music, rather than physical CDs, a worm capable of deleting an entire MP3 collection could leave someone thousands of pounds out of pocket," said Orla Cox, Security Operations Manager, Symantec Security Response. "We would recommend all users with MP3 files on their PCs to remain cautious about the removable media devices they are using in their machines."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
    ditton, Jul 31, 2007
  2. ditton

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Meh

garyi, Jul 31, 2007
  3. ditton

ditton happy old soul

Some credit the 2001 episode Hungry Hungry Homer with the first use of "meh" as a dismissal, when Homer asks Lisa and Bart if they want to go to the Blockoland theme park and receives the answer, "meh". But the Language Log website notes a 1995 episode in which Bart dismisses Marge's discussion of weaving with a "meh".

Some amateur etymologists on the web reckon meh is derived from Yiddish, pointing to a 1936 song that uses it as the sound of a goat bleating. A poster on Artblog.net called it a "Yiddish interjection used to express disdain that borders on apathy", but did not source it. "Many North American English interjections do have some basis in Yiddish," accepts Diamond. But does this one? "I can't say."

In any case, the word needs to pass into "widespread unselfconscious usage" before it will feature in the OED, he says. And with a print lifespan of just four years, so far, that is some distance away. But does he think it's becoming more common? "Well, I had fishcakes at lunchtime and I told someone they were ... meh."

ditton, Jul 31, 2007
  4. ditton

penance Arrogant Cock

Also the sign of someone who seems to think he is superior but never has anything of use or interest to voice.

penance, Jul 31, 2007
  5. ditton

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Get over it mate. Be sure to update your anti virus.

garyi, Jul 31, 2007
  6. ditton

penance Arrogant Cock

Get over yourself:rolleyes:

penance, Jul 31, 2007
  7. ditton

ditton happy old soul

lol

ditton, Jul 31, 2007
  8. ditton

Snoo

Surely a music industry plot to delete all our pirate MP3's! Conspiracy!!!!!! ;)

Snoo, Aug 1, 2007
  9. ditton

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I was vaguely hoping for a story about a giant worm that likes to eat CD's for it's dinner..

bottleneck, Aug 1, 2007
  10. ditton

Snoo

I had a Nakamichi that ate tapes.

Snoo, Aug 1, 2007
Ask a Question