Worst pieces of Hi-Fi ever.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Snoo, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Snoo

Snoo

Maybe 'Worst' isn't the correct word. Maybe 'misguided' or some autonym of 'Greatest'.

Anyhow.

My favourite hi-fi duck and one I can't bring myself to sell....

[​IMG]

Snoo, Feb 12, 2004
  2. Snoo

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

nsherin, Feb 12, 2004
  3. Snoo

batfink

Not strictly hi-fi, but still damned ugly!

[​IMG]

batfink, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Snoo

voodoo OdD

Nice, let's you practice your forearm as well as your backhand.
    So how many tennis balls can you load in at once ?

voodoo, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Snoo

Mr_Sukebe

Surely it's got to be the MF SACD tri-whatever and matching amp.

I can forgive a Goodmans system sounding cheap, because it is.
    What I find somewhat more difficult to forgive is something so pretty much resembles a combination of sludge and treacle, yet costs in the region of £10k (including speakers).

Mr_Sukebe, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Snoo

MikeD Militant Nutter

must say i agree. we're looking for the most overprices piece of garbage from the "big" names of the hifi world.

i'll offer up anything with a Bose badge on it (you knew it would come sooner or later ;)), along with the aforementioned MF Tri-Vista SACD thingibyjigger (i remember comparing it to a £300 nad/mission combo and it being slaughtered :))

MikeD, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Snoo

cookiemonster

I don't tend to get out much, but to be honest, i don't think i've ever really heard a 'bad' bit of hifi.

Although with the passage of time i'm likewise beginning to doubt whether i've actually heard a really 'good' one as well.

Of course the greater the magnification, the further the world unfolds, opening up whole new vistas of adventure for those with a penchant for hiking. Gently sweeping hills suddenly transmogrify into breathtaking mountain peaks, whilst the shallow troughs of a gently flowing river metamorphose into treacherous raging torrents and waterfalls. Deflections of such magnitude no doubt make for an agreeable vantage point for those seeking adventure, but with the consequence that regular trekkers in the Himalayas would most likely be inclined to chop an arm off rather than go rambling in Wales for the weekend.

From an aesthetic perspective, then the undisputed grand masters were coined in the 1970s, positively dripping with brushed aluminium, man sized knobs and seductive night time lighting displays. Anything else is a firm second fiddle, and if it has to be black, then metal is certainly preferable to plastic, and the above pictured ghetto blaster abomination is surely anathema to anyone that isn't at least partially sighted.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2004
    cookiemonster, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Snoo

RDD Longterm Lurker

'tis true, from a brand that I used to have a bit of a soft spot for JVC really are churning out some dreadful lookings bits of plastic, mass under 16 marketing I suspect :(

[​IMG]

RDD, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Snoo

Goomer

Good lord....if cameramen can be shot in Iraq because a soldier mistakes their camera for a rocket launcher, heaven help the poor bugger caught with this.

Goomer, Feb 12, 2004
  10. Snoo

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

It looks like a mans play thing.

In fairness this thread needs to be abouot proper seperates systems, I could reasonably take a photo of Comet and post it here.

My candidate is probably a Kenwood special addition malarky I used to own. Its not fair to kick the kenwood to much, but it did cost three hundred quid. However one day I blagged a nait 1 to borrow, and the rest for me was history. So as I say not fair to blame the kenwood to much.

garyi, Feb 12, 2004
  11. Snoo

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

If I can get my sister out of her room I shall take a picture of her HIFI. Its a massive 1970's beast all stacked up top of each other with a Cambridge Audio CD32 in the middle of them all!

Its 100% pure proper seperates, they are just very old and cosmeticaly past their best.

amazingtrade, Feb 12, 2004
  12. Snoo

Emeritus

nsherin,
    You're not by any chance a Mastercare engineer, are you?
    Or do you just have a psychotic hatred of Dixons? ;)

Emeritus, Feb 12, 2004
  13. Snoo

wolfgang

One piece of Ugly beast. I don't care if it sounds good or not. In my humble opinion you definately need to switch of the lights and cover your eyes when auditioning .....

[​IMG]

wolfgang, Feb 12, 2004
  14. Snoo

Rory satisfied

well it was between the BOSE© 321 system, anything with Technics on it and Bang and Olufsen Penta speakers, then i remembered my distinct hatred for these things
    [​IMG]
    Mission 702e
    The front baffle rattles, the port falls out when confronted with deep basss, the treble is painfully bright and undetailed. Theres no lower midrange, let alone life in the sound and the bass drivers blow extremely easily Oh, and Mission forgot to put bracing in the early ones. Dear oh dear.
    I should say their successors are far better- this ain't a Mission bashing session!

Rory, Feb 14, 2004
  15. Snoo

PeteH Natural Blue

Surely the Linn Komri has to be the world's ugliest loudspeaker - an absolute aesthetic travesty, especially as it costs £15000 or whatever. In the flesh, so to speak, it just looks like a gigantic boxy plywood coffin...

PeteH, Feb 14, 2004
  16. Snoo

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

The lousiest sound I ever heard was from the last versions of the pre power Audiolabs: no colour, no timbre, no treble, no bass, no transparency. A lot of ugly noise. Truly horrible.

Rodrigo de Sá, Feb 14, 2004
  17. Snoo

Dev Moderator

Hi Wolfgang,

I'd happily take one off your hands and you don't even have to thank me for my considerable generosity, all part of the service :D

Dev, Feb 14, 2004
  18. Snoo

joel Shaman of Signals

Nonsense.

Worst hifi i've ever heard was these:
    [​IMG]
    followed by these:
    [​IMG]
    Unbearable with real music (the Logans' memorably failed to play the Stones) rather than demo room BGM.

joel, Feb 14, 2004
  19. Snoo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

these could sound like angels singing but they'd never find a place in my living room
    [​IMG]

there were also some yammamura churchill horns which also looked like they'd been designed by helen keller.

i had a technics top of the range mini seperates system for a few years. very tasteful in black with 2 massive vu meters on the power section in fact:
    [​IMG]
    didn't sound half bad, in fact it even convinced the sceptic i sold it to that there was a difference between cd's and mp3's whcih can't be bad.

julian2002, Feb 14, 2004
  20. Snoo

penance Arrogant Cock

I concur

penance, Feb 14, 2004
Ask a Question