Would I be a complete idiot....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

to re-aquiant myself with:

1) Musical Fidelity
    2) Transistor amps
    3) 500 Watts of class A/B grunt
    4) hugely insensitive standmount speakers

Because I'm damn tempted.

Just fancy a change and I think this set-up would be very different and a lot of fun. As long as the MF KW500 isn't the pile of sh*te everyone seems to think it is.

Balanced/objective opinions please :cool:

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Feb 28, 2008
  2. Dynamic Turtle

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Heard a large MF integrated recently ( two boxes large knob )it was a pile of shit, hope that helps.

Purite Audio, Feb 28, 2008
  3. Dynamic Turtle

peez

sugden masterclass integrated is worth a listen , might surprise you what it could do with 87 db sensitivity speakers.

peez, Feb 28, 2008
  4. Dynamic Turtle

vicki258

First post so here goes....

I have to agree the Sugden Masterclass is a really nice amplifier and well worth a listen.

In regards to musical fidelity they don't sound great and do have a tendancy to set fire to things. I had a musical fidelity integrated amp a few years ago and the over powering smell of burning was incredible (even when it was turned off!)

Have you tried a Lavardin amplifier? They are reliable and sound superb.

vicki258, Feb 28, 2008
  5. Dynamic Turtle

Tenson Moderator

Insensitive standmounts can sound very good with big amps, but I wouldn't go for MF, simply because you can get equal quality power for less. The Cambridge Audio 840a integrated is pretty beefy with 150watts a side (IIRC) and sounds very good indeed. They should have a power amp out soon. Or else try some studio amps like a second hand Bryston 4b-SST, monoblocked Alesis RA500 etc..

Tenson, Feb 28, 2008
  6. Dynamic Turtle

OK - I know MF are a bag-o-shite, but I really want to try out some megawatt transistor amps for the first time and I thought the KW500 would be a pretty good place to start. It gets a lot of praise in some quarters. I don't know of any other 1kW+ amps available for the same money, in a relatively neat 1.5 box config. I'd rather not go down the pre/power or pre/mono route unless I have too - too many boxes and too much expense.

The other integrateds on my shortlist are much more expensive and much less powerful:

BAT VK300x
    Chord CPM2650
    Accuphase E408
    Luxman 509
    McIntosh MA6500 (the living embodiment of fugliness)

There don't seem to be many high-power integrateds out there in neat chassis. I love the DK designs amp but it's enormous and wouldn't fit on my rack.

Any 150wpc+ suggestions that don't cost a bomb? Used prices please.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Feb 29, 2008
  7. Dynamic Turtle

Purite Audio Purite Audio

ASR Emitter

Purite Audio, Feb 29, 2008
  8. Dynamic Turtle

Baudrillard

You've already got a nice tube pre, right?

Surely, better to add a ss power and make use of the tubes rather than ss integrated :crazy:

You don't necessarily need to go the audiophile amp route- pro gear may be at least as good- and cheaper. There are a couple of threads on this subject right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
    Baudrillard, Feb 29, 2008
  9. Dynamic Turtle

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

sensitive vs insensitive speakers?

ooh theres a can of worms :)

I think on ''standmounts'' given that sensitivity and size often go hand-in-hand,... insensitive standmounts aren't a bad idea.

bottleneck, Feb 29, 2008
  10. Dynamic Turtle

Anyone rate the Krell 300iL/400i/400xi?

11. Dynamic Turtle

julian2002 Muper Soderator

have a look at some shengya / vincent stuff or other big chinese integrateds. tons o grunt and build quality michaelson could only dream about.

julian2002, Feb 29, 2008
  12. Dynamic Turtle

Hmmm, not hugely convinced by Chinese build quality to be honest. Despite being very "solid" in appearance, I think the attention to detail and stability/longevity of some of their components is questionable. Isn't MF made in China these days anyway?

13. Dynamic Turtle

Tenson Moderator

Do you have a pre-amp? If so, just get a beefy pro stereo power-amp. Look at the MC2 amps being talked about in the 'bass' thread.

If you don't have a pre-amp, then buy one! You can get some pretty neat small pre-amps at a good price (WAD?), and this will allow you to use pro power amps, offing much better VFM than an audiophile integrated like any of those you mention.

Tenson, Feb 29, 2008
  14. Dynamic Turtle

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

DT

Shengya/Vincent stuff is really well made - I've seen a couple of examples, huge toroids, well machined cases - top stuff.

With Chinese goods there's good and bad just like we have good and bad.. I won't name name's, but so much british stuff is hugely expensive and nothing special.

bottleneck, Feb 29, 2008
  15. Dynamic Turtle

DavidF

slightly harsh imo

my brothers

x ray v
    spendor combo sounds ok

DavidF, Feb 29, 2008
  16. Dynamic Turtle

JackOTrades

Hi Coops,

That's an interesting assertion... being in the hifi you should know by now that most people like different things, plus what sounds cr*p in one system may be just the ticket in another.

I am not religious about anything, and certainly am not here to defend MF but I can at least tell you my experience: I have heard the KW500 many times (not in my system) and although I find it a bit on the cold side it has very good extension and resolution. It is an "architectural" or "cerebral" kind of sound but I would not call it a pile of anything in the system.

I also think the NuVista M3 is one of the best integrateds I have heard, with lots of detail and extension, a very good stage (particularly deep) and very musical (more so than the newer generation). One I wouldn't trade in for the newer ones and that in the right system could see off many a more expensive kit.

So I guess it's horses for courses but this whole business of slagging off MF for the sake of it seems a bit silly really.

My 2c.
    Jack

JackOTrades, Feb 29, 2008
  17. Dynamic Turtle

mickm

hi, if you have a pre amp then try and get some nuforce 9se v2 monos on loan , superb only 150 watts but sounds like double , i own a set of 9.02 versions and they are very good sound better than amps ive owned at 3 times the price the se v2 are better again ill be looking to upgrade when the funds are available , these will drive any speaker to ear bleeding levels and in terms of sound quality in my opinion take some beating at any price level , mick

mickm, Feb 29, 2008
  18. Dynamic Turtle

RIPit Don't Fear The RIPer

DT, I have had the BAT VK300x-SE for 4 years and it has been superb. It is driving relatively efficient Wilson Benesch ACT floorstanders, and prior to that Focal JM Lab Micro Utopia Be standmounts. No problems whatsover.

As mentioned in one of my earler posts, I am considering changing to either the Luxman 550 or 590 Class A Integrated. was hoping to do the audition today but had proper work to do:(

I will get over to Sussex to listen to them on Tuesday or Friday (I am taking my BAT with me as a comparison). I know that Dave from Brighton HiFi also has the Luxman 509 so I will have a listen and let you know how it stacks up against the BAT.

RIPit, Feb 29, 2008
  19. Dynamic Turtle

O'Shag

The KW500 is a quality piece of kit. It is beautifully made and has oodles of power. More importantly, that power sounds very good by high-end standards. Any comments you may hear that alude to the KW500 being a piece of shyte are ridiculous.

O'Shag, Mar 1, 2008
  20. Dynamic Turtle

banpe2006

it was a funny post though! made me smile...

banpe2006, Mar 1, 2008
Ask a Question