Wow, cool product!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Jul 26, 2011
  2. Tenson

Mr_Sukebe

Surely cool refers to looking good. Something that B&O excel at. Unfortunately that Behringer is disgusting looking.

From the point of view of sonics, I can't help but think that it needs to actually sound good to be worth our while looking at. I don't care how many watts and functions it has if it sounds pants.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 26, 2011
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Having a good day today? :)

It might sound great. I'm sure they will sell a lot of them so it could be worth their time developing a good circuit design for the class-D amps, and we already know they tend to use AKM ADC and DACs which are some of the best there are.

I suspect it will be a little let down by a noisy switch mode PSU, and perhaps a few to many cheap op-amps but none-the-less I bet it actually sounds better than many would assume. Certainly a nice way to toy with DIY speakers and DSP.

Just thinking about it now, it might be an easy enough job to modify in some key areas to get good performance from it. Then it could be sold along with speakers as an external DSP Active solution.

Tenson, Jul 26, 2011
  4. Tenson

Werner

Indeed. I have a pair of open-baffle subwoofers slowly crawling towards the bin because of no time/interest to develop the matching EQ/amp. This Behr might change their fate ...

Werner, Jul 26, 2011
  5. Tenson

speedy.steve

Interesting - I wonder who they aiming this at with 1500wpc?
    PSU's must be big even at 90% or so D class efficiency. I wonder if they are fan cooled? I had a DVD surround sound player that was fan cooled and that was annoying. Guess ok if done right. Seems pretty light at 5.5kgs?!
    I could not find how many way they are talking crossover wise - guess just two way. 48dB/oct is enough I reckon.

I don't diss D class amps used in the right application, they can sound very good in my experience. I am using 5 at the moment but with only a claimed 20 or 25 watts (i have 2 different types). They probably make more like less than 6wpc into less efficient loads though. I don't care as my drivers are up at 105-115dB/W.
    But 1500W. I can see some 12V to 230V converters and max power boys putting these into cars perhaps.

speedy.steve, Jul 26, 2011
  6. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

They are clearly aimed at PA use. However, that doesn't mean they are not good sounding. Very good for subs I think.

Tenson, Jul 26, 2011
  7. Tenson

Dev Moderator

I agree, it should be good for driving DIY subs.

Dev, Jul 26, 2011
  8. Tenson

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Yes, I've heard sub-woofers, driven by Class D, work very well.

YNMOAN, Jul 27, 2011
  9. Tenson

Mr_Sukebe

Simon,
    You may well be right, might be a great product. My comment was aimed at your judgement of the product based purely on what it looks like and it's functionality.

I can't help but think that the decision should really be based upon what it sounds like.

Whilst I'm very much in favour of Behringers equalisation system, which in the wrong room can work wonders, I do have experience of the side effect/impact that having a DEQ had in my own system.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 27, 2011
  10. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Mike, I don't think it looks good, it looks cheap and chavy.

I think it is a cool product because it is inventive and uncommon. Only a couple of very high end PA amps had this sort of tech before now. It's cool to see it available to more people.

There are loaaads of good sounding amps out there, and so I can't think they are all cool.

P.S. You use H2s don't you? I can't remember well.

Tenson, Jul 27, 2011
  11. Tenson

Mr_Sukebe

I used Ta'us, which are H2s + 1 generation. So basically a H2, but with an improved box.

If you're in south London, you're always welcome to pop in, have a coffee, a blather and a listen. For that matter, I'd love to hear (experience might be a better word) your supertweeters someday.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 27, 2011
Ask a Question