wow!! I want these!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

2. Lt Cdr Data

Anex Thermionic

Bloody hell! :eek:

Anex, Apr 24, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Mr.C

"Mega Huge" indeed!! And they've got wheels too! :D

Mr.C, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

Anex Thermionic

Course that could be a matchbox toy

Anex, Apr 24, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

Is that blood on the back of the left cone?

Tenson, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

ListeningEar

...I think these are converted Amercian 'closets', if you email the seller he might still have the sliding doors for them :p

Seriously, get in quick,...well at least before the local funeral director does!!!

IMHO, look extremely tacky.

ListeningEar, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

They are astonishing. Bet they'd make dub reggae an interesting experience :MILD:

Uncle Ants, Apr 25, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

Paul Dimaline

No, for that you will need the matching subwoofer!

Paul Dimaline, Apr 25, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

Philip King Enlightened User

how much would the shipping be to the UK? ;-)

Philip King, Apr 25, 2005
  10. Lt Cdr Data

Joe

just attach outboard motors and you could sail them across the Atlantic!

Joe, Apr 25, 2005
  11. Lt Cdr Data

Anex Thermionic

You sure they'd float? :)

Anex, Apr 25, 2005
  12. Lt Cdr Data

Joe

Good point. Maybe attach a few Townshend inflatable supports just in case!

Joe, Apr 25, 2005
  13. Lt Cdr Data

ErikfH

That belongs to the previous owner who complainted out loud about the lack of bass and then got swallowed by them. :eek:

ErikfH, Apr 25, 2005
  14. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I've emailed the guy to ask how much shipping to UK is!! should be fun!! anyone fancy a group buy? :D

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 25, 2005
  15. Lt Cdr Data

midlifecrisis Firm member

I love the line "I can make the manhole cover in front of my house vibrate from my living room with a Dynaco stereo 70 hooked to these speakers" :D

a bit of blu tack on that manhole cover will reduce those unwanted vibrations ;)

midlifecrisis, Apr 25, 2005
  16. Lt Cdr Data

mr cat Member of the month

if they sound cr*p - you could always make a matching set of wardrobes...

mr cat, Apr 25, 2005
  17. Lt Cdr Data

Dev Moderator

they are a set of wardrobes.

Dev, Apr 25, 2005
  18. Lt Cdr Data

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Actually, not quiet, you want the earlier version that had the woofer operating as dipole.... I have some pictures somewhere originally culled from a HiFiDo.co.jp, you will not believe what they wanted for these....

Anyway, not that difficult to beat in this day and age, simply get:

2 pcs 24" ProAudio Woofer (any, recommended precision devices)
    2 pcs high power "plate amp" with a decent EQ fittable
    2 pcs supravox 285 EXC-OB
    2 pcs Raven R2 ribbon or any of the much cheaper chinese copies

Use the two cone drivers on a suitable open baffle and use a 3rd order filter for the Raven ribbon at around 6KHz and simple inductor (adjust to taste) on the 285. The 24" is meant as sub and gets actively driven from the plate amp's.

Painting the cones white is optional.

For a really high sensitivity design use two 285 EXC-OB with a Raven R3 or comparable in MTM, crossed over (again 3rd order HPF & 1st order LPF) around 1KHz.

The 24" + 2 X 10" + 3" ribbon is what I call "the mosest proposal", in deference to Swifts paper of the same name....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 26, 2005
  19. Lt Cdr Data

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

I like the empty loo roll holder glued to the cone. I have a larger magnet on my mids than those 24's. They will have no control whatsoever. If cone diameter flicks your switch buy some 24's with real engineering:

http://www.precisiondevices.co.uk/

Or buy some speakers that will provide real bass, together with proper high fidelity:

http://www.atc.gb.net/

pauldixonuk, Apr 27, 2005
  20. Lt Cdr Data

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Dear Paul,

I must say that I find the fundamental level of ignorance displayed by your comments highly offensive, so forgive me (or not as you may) for strongly voiced rebuttals.... If you wish to avoid such, I would sugest you follow some of the advice given by timone to pumba in the first scene of their appearance in the "lion-king" movie.

Actually, it may have escaped an individual as preprocessed by their own olfactory exudions as you are that the "empty loo roll holder glued to the cone" happens to be a direct extension of the Aluminum voice coil former acting as heatsink and thus materially reducing the thermal compression for the driver, compared to a driver, otherwise identical entierly, excepting the "empty loo roll holder glued to the cone".

Of course, some people like to listen to heavily compressed music, but I for one feel that placing this compression into a Speaker is an exceedingly poor way of doing this kind of business. Even a 1960's Era Urei LA-2 would be much more suitable and most importantly posessed of both adjustment of the effect and a bypass switch.

And most likely your "big magnet" is a ferrite type, which not only fails to saturate the magnetic struture in terms of flux (compared to the MINISCULE BUT EXPENSIVE AluminumNicelCobalt Alloy [aka AlNiCo] magnet used in the Hartely Driver), but which also, by wirtue of various physical properties, is around 5 - 10 Times as suceptible to have it's own magnetic field modulated by the voicecoil's magnetic filed (something which would not happen at all if the "BIG MANLY FERRITE MAGNET" was capable at least of saturating the magnet assembly) as the very small AlNiCo magnet used in the older Hartley Drivers.

Of course, there are those who believe having a 12" is all it takes to satisfy their partner, even with millisecond staying power and and no ability to find the G-spot as well.....

I am sorry, but if you actually chanced on a suitable measurement system to determine the actual magnetic flux in the gap and you actually disassembled your midrange driver and the discussed 24" Hartley driver you may find that the flux in the gap, despite a physically very small magnet for the hartley driver would be several times that of of your "midrange driver".

Add to that more turns on the voicecoil and the resulting "BL - Product" (which is one one side of the coin electrical damping, often mistaken by ignorant bafoons as "control") is WAY, WAY higher than that which you quote, in other words, according to your quite unrealistic definition, the 24" Hartely driver would have several times the "control" your highly prized "big magnet" midrange has.

Actually, while the Precision Devices drivers are among the ACTUALLY AVAILBLE designs in this day and age are close to the top (I can think of only a handfull or two better choices), compared to what is implemented in the 1950's eara hartley drivers (look up the patents, they are in the public domain buster) they form a pretty poor second, on technologys side (and I may add that the 1950's era british hartley was a big step down on the pre-war Eckmiller designs which where partially [and non too competently] copied by Altec & Tannoy).

That said, by todays standards, in these benighted times, they are "one eye".

[/QUOTE]

Puuuuleeeeeeese, not ATC.

Their stuff may pretty decent next to a Yamaha NS-10 or BBC LS3-5, but if you want a "true monitor" speaker they are pretty much at the bottom of the pile, both where technolgy and preformance are concerned.

Heck, 50Year old Tannoy Coaxials, Vitavox Cinema Speakers and Quad ESL's (aka ESL 57) do WAY better in REAL WORLD monitoring situations, if you want to hear what you actually are recording (the "listener for pleasure" of course is welcome to anything he likes).

So, what is your point (past illustrating the depth of your ignorance of the subject)?

Ciao T

PS, I have not even touched at such equally important subjects as transient response, directivity pattern et al, which further weigh the scales in favour of speakers that have "empty loo roll holder glued to the cone"....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
    3DSonics, Apr 28, 2005
Ask a Question