Wow..lg Moves Into Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Aug 8, 2008.

1. nando

nando nando

Korean cosumer electronics giantis going to go to "!high end" audio in collabaration with 'audio legend.' mr m. levinson, do we care? or do we must?
    nando

nando, Aug 8, 2008
  2. nando

D Louth 77

Hi Guys

I read this with interest. I think that any products from this partnership should be viewed as a potentially good thing . However despite MR L's involvement the products must stand or fail on how they sound and perform and their reliability in the home etc.

On a wider note ,the large scale production(hence cheaper retail pricing) that these type of manufacturers can offer over small boutique brands is only to be hoped for. The large companies ,Sony,Panasonic,Lg,JVC etc can and have every so often produced excellent products but more often than not have only put out lowest common denominater stuff . If the general market improves the quality of its products and thus introduces that to a much bigger audience than small boutique brands can ever do individually ,then IMHO that is long term a good thing as it will benefit every one by broadening the numbers who know about it.

But being careful, it may just be a marketing/pr thing intended to kid audiophiles into viewing lg in a better way . However how this would benefit lg is something i would question as there are not enough of us world wide to affect sales of lg much. So on the balance maybe this will be the start of other audiophile designers helping the big companies.

It could also be said that MR L has done this just for the cash ,but then again being involved with lg might not do his reputation any good with audiophiles who's opinion would be important to MR L.

Time will tell if this partnership will bear fruit . If any one hears any of this kit ,maybe you can post here and tell us what you think,in the future.

Regards D Louth .

D Louth 77, Aug 9, 2008
  3. nando

lbr monkey boy

"High end" has too small a market to interest a company like LG. I'd put money that this will be mid-fi Richer Sounds level kit. Maybe Levinson will offer some design expertise, but I suspect the primary benefit to LG of the tie in is to give credibility to the brand.

Still, LG don't piss about so it should be very interesting.

lbr, Aug 9, 2008
  4. nando

Dick Bowman

I may be wrong here, but I believe that Mark Levinson's skills lie in marketing and visual design - I don't think he's a technical/engineering designer.

Dick Bowman, Aug 9, 2008
  5. nando

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

It seems that the first item will be aimed at the UK market. It is a unit that features a FM/DAB radio, cd player and ipod dock. It also features a 160 watt amp with two speakers and a subwoofer.

It is the FA163DAB. It will retail at around £250

[​IMG]

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/15890/16914/mark-levinson-lg-hifi-system.phtml

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=16077

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/3273/4297/lg-fa163-hi-fi-music-system.phtml

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 9, 2008
  6. nando

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I look at the hifi section in Selfridges and it makes me weep - all that soggy bass with cabinet colourations - please no more! The "AV" sound that is transferred to these so called hifi's is awful.

what's ML's Redrose stuff? It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some sort of tie in.

SMEagol, Aug 10, 2008
  7. nando

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Aug 10, 2008
  8. nando

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

ML's skill is indded bullshit and branding, the decent ML stuff in the early days was John Curl designed, the later in-house Harman.

sq225917, Aug 10, 2008
  9. nando

lbr monkey boy

I was wrong. More "Dixons" by the looks of it :rolleyes:

lbr, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question