www.selecthifi.co.uk

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lbr, May 25, 2008.

1. lbr

lbr monkey boy

I'm in half a mind to hit the upgrade trail and there seems to be some nice s/h kit here (selecthifi.co.uk) at fair-ish prices.

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about them - I'm a little sceptical about the lack of physical address/landline number/credit card facility given the level of some of the kit being advertised.

Overly cynical or rightly cautious?

Cheers
    Lee

lbr, May 25, 2008
  2. lbr

DavidF

if in doubt leave out.

I ordered a lens cap off someone the other day.

The gentlemen swore blind it as for a nikon 5700.

Its here now and its obvious its not....far too big. :rolleyes:

I'm going to be lucky to trace the order, though , as there is little (make that no....)paperwork to refer to.

Do'nt make the same mistake and get had for more than £10 odd.

;)

DavidF, May 26, 2008
  3. lbr

Dick Bowman

Some dealers in high-end gear are nervous about revealing their location for fear of customers with a casual attitude to payment.

On the other hand - I'd feel highly suspicious of the economy of contact information here. And I also feel that a "business" that only accepts PayPal really isn't a business at all.

At the very least, try emailing them and see if they seem to be talking sense.

Dick Bowman, May 26, 2008
  4. lbr

LinearMan

It may be of interest to know that, for the past year or more, all businesses are obliged to put on their web site their real address, contact telephone number and registered office details and registration number if they are a limited company.

If a company doesn't even know the law, or refuses to abide by it, what does that say about their business?

Never deal with a business that doesn't have a real address and land line ~ the validity of both of these can easily be checked and verified. As ever, the best rule for expensive items is to collect, paying cash only after having inspected and tested the equipment.

I've take a look at their site and, frankly, you'd have to be touched to distance purchase based upon that. No address, mobile number only, no acceptance of credit cards (you have to have at least some checks made on your business before you can get a merchant number to be able to accept cards). I could get a site like that up in a couple of hours. Pictures could come from anywhere. I'd also very much doubt that they actually 'own' much of the stock ~ they're probably on a commission type deal from the equipment owner's.

LinearMan, May 26, 2008
  5. lbr

HiWatt

I've just checked the site, and it would seem that they now have a landline number and an address (Cheltenham).

Maybe those bargains are for real then......:cool:

HiWatt, May 26, 2008
  6. lbr

lbr monkey boy

Yes - seems the site's been updated. I guess someone there reads ZG :)

lbr, May 27, 2008
Ask a Question