X Factor 2008

Discussion in 'General Music' started by SCIDB, Sep 14, 2008.

1. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

One of my favourite programs is back on the box. X Factor is an interesting program, trying to find a future star. Every season thousands of hopefuls try for fame and fortune by impressing the judges. They have to sing a song or part of a song to get the thumbs up from the judges.

The show is a spin off from the Pop Idols/Pop Star series from a few years ago. The X Factors is run by Simon Cowell and his company, He was on The Pop Idol series but taken the idea further.

The Judges are Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh, Cheryl Cole and Dannii Minogue.

What I like about the shows are the early editions of the series, the first audtions. Here you have people with a wide range of ability. Alot are quite poor, very bad or very funny (or all these). Makes for great entertainment. I just love the expressions on the faces of the judges.

Here is a selection of some of the "fine" singers on offer. I'm waiting for these acts to release records and dvds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RUHwFiz5KI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzrEjIXW4jM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6qM0sJp39k&feature=related

SCIDB

SCIDB, Sep 14, 2008
  2. SCIDB

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I watrched it last night and enjoyed it. Good sunday tv.

It's easy to slag it off, and a lot of what comes out of it is crap, but for entertainment the audition phase at least, is very amusing.

MO!, Sep 15, 2008
  3. SCIDB

lbr monkey boy

Now the auditions are over, we get to the good stuff. See the hopes and dreams of (largely) talented individuals crushed and cast aside. Genius.

BTW, what is it with the blokes this year - grown men blubbing like little girls at the drop of a hat?

lbr, Oct 5, 2008
  4. SCIDB

SMEagol Because we wants it...

...I thought it was beautiful - sniff....

SMEagol, Oct 8, 2008
  5. SCIDB

GotKandy

I want Scott to win. If he makes it he'll probably martyr himself onstage by crying all the water out of his body. Simon Cowell would cream himself off camera at the thought of an X Factor Diana moment.

GotKandy, Oct 8, 2008
  6. SCIDB

andyoz

Why did Hannah go. She was a bit weird lookin' but a potential contender I thought.

Some strange decisions were made IMO?

If that guy Austen cries any more, I'll be punching the TV. Get a grip man!

andyoz, Oct 8, 2008
  7. SCIDB

as Beavis once said
    "if I get in touch with my inner child I'll kick its ass"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
    SMEagol, Oct 9, 2008
  8. SCIDB

scott_01

Rant inbound.........

Personally every time I catch a glimpse of it on TV, see that smug twat Cowell on the front of a paper, or hear on the radio of a new judge 'scandal' I die a little inside.

I would rather just give him 10 quid each year so he would **** off and refrain from making the program than be aware of him in my peripheral vision; gurning all over the tabloids about his shitty show and giving predictable run-downs of non-arguments with his simpering colleagues.

:grrr:

BTW if I had to pick a winner I'd go for the one who sings the biggest ballad and has some mild and pointless handicap, like a club foot (for example). "he's / she's so brave, so,,, brave"

Glad I got that off my chest.

scott_01, Oct 9, 2008
  9. SCIDB

mr cat Member of the month

I hate the way all the contestants cry all the feckin time...they must think they're the only ones to do so - simply for a sympathy vote...twats!

mr cat, Oct 9, 2008
  10. SCIDB

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

have you read his book.

it should be titled, i'm not gay me, no way man i've shagged loads of birds honest...

yeh, you big closet.

sq225917, Oct 9, 2008
  11. SCIDB

andyoz

This year is getting ridiculous. Some of them even start crying when they are fecking singing.

Sinead O'Connor got away with it once but that's where it should end.

andyoz, Oct 10, 2008
  12. SCIDB

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, I howled when that black woman broke down and was lying on the floor bawling like a baby...she just needed a good slap... :D

mr cat, Oct 10, 2008
  13. SCIDB

D Louth 77

Hi Guys

Does anybody, think that Diana( blond, slightly hippy like), sounds a bit like a slightly lighter Toni Child( Union, House Of Hope, The Woman Boat). Toni made 3 great albums back in the late 80's to early 90's and then vanished without a trace, real shame. If you like quirky female singer songwriters then Toni Child is worth checking out. However to quote Simon Cowell, "You may like Marmite or not" as the case may be, as Toni has a pretty unique voice.

I agree way to much crying, but thats how the Scotish guy won last year. Lets face it it was not is ability to sing. He had improved to night but his dancing by bending at the knees, had me thinking he was practicing sking, rather than dancing.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Oct 12, 2008
  14. SCIDB

andyoz

Yes. I have been trying to think who she sounds like and that's bloody it. Thanks.

Danni is looking increasingly weird I think.

p.s. I want to punch that young lad from Nth Ireland.

andyoz, Oct 20, 2008
  15. SCIDB

D Louth 77

Hi Guys

Just watched X Factor, what a complete and utter Travesty. The weakest singers tonight were Daniel ( love the song he sang but sorry Steve Perry of Journey does it better, as he should as it is a Journey song), Owen and Rachel were weak. How can a vocal talent as good as Laura White be voted off. she has a slight issue with her diction, due to an odd accent related quirk in her voice/vocal style;something which could be cured. If i ran a record label or was say a manager i would sign her up tonight(as i would Diana also). However these poor victims are tied into a contract with the X Factor(for how long i don't know).

Is it any wonder the music industry is in such trouble with such a complete and utter lack of musical taste and insight. Once again the british/uk public show they haven't got a clue.

Marriah Carery is no great singer live(or so it would seem from tonights performance. Laura eats her for breakfast IMHO.

I know its only a TV/Reality show but real people are being hurt.

What do you guys think ?

Regards D Louth

It was nice what they did for Diana.

D Louth 77, Nov 8, 2008
  16. SCIDB

lbr monkey boy

I think that's a large part of the appeal - it's more about failure than it is about success.

lbr, Nov 9, 2008
  17. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I have had a look at this and have to say that Laura was unlucky to get voted off. She wasn't the worst singer on the programme. But I can also understand why she got voted off.

I have to admit that her performance was that sparkling either, nothing special. It would be interesting to see if a big label signs her up.

This isn't the reason why the music industry is in trouble. For making it in the music industry, talent is only part of the equation. A bigger part is public (record buyers) appeal. This has always been the case with your big pop stars.

Daniel seems to appeal to the X factor public. They have taken him to their hearts. He comes across as a nice down to earth chap with a tear jerking/heart tugging story. Great television! I do find him to be one of the weakest on there.

The art/knack/skill is finding these popstars and hoping they have a long & sucessful career. There are alot of 5 minute wonders.

There has always been questions of Mariah carey's live singing at times. But she has made a very good pop star. She is the biggest selling female artist in the 90s. She has been a big sucess partly due to her singing and her babe appeal. She has heavily featured on MTV in the 90s. Another reason why she has made it big is the fact that she was married to The head of Columbia Records.

She also used a number of "hot" writers and producers,tapping into elements of R&B and hip hop. (A huge & growing market) She was in the right place at the right time.

Whether Laura can match this, only time can tell but the odds are not in her favour.

That's life! The music industry is a business. It's there to make money. There can be alot of gain but there is high risk. Most acts don't make big money for record companies. There are many up and downs in the music business. More so if you want to become
    a big star. It is a tough arena with people getting hurt.

There seems to be eyebrows being raised at Diana. Should she have got a bye to the next round? Is she faking her illness? I have read theories that she is the one the producers want to win.

This adds spice to the programme.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 13, 2008
  18. SCIDB

D Louth 77

I don't disagre with much that you say. I was angry when I posted.
    I wanted to vent my frustration but I do think that Laura is better than you think.

I don't think Diana will win. I like her a lot as she reminds me of Toni Childs. At this stage I am not willing to stick my neck out about the winner(did you guess last years winner).

I know the show is not really a talented singing show in the strictest sense of the word. the brief is to broad for that. I also know that the people who are on it have a fair idea what they are in for, but do they really ? Its a risk and sometimes those who don't win do quite well at the end of the day.

My fear for the likes of Diana would be that the pop machine would crush and destroy what makes her unique. tThis is something which is maybe happening already. I don't think she was faking being ill, but in reality she should have been sent off.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Nov 13, 2008
  19. SCIDB

I just don't rate modern manufactured X factor vocalists, they are all a pretty talentless bunch as far as music making goes, the one stuck behind a piano with the keys out of sight made me laugh. They think just because they can sing they suddenly transform talented muso's. They should get over themselves, without the production and song writing machines, and genuinely talented musicians at the back of them (and of course CD buying sheep) they'd still be at the tills in Tesco. This crap obviously sells, but I cannot bring myself to watch it. In the same way Boyzone release a song before Christmas with some cynically placed bells in the tune.

A local girl to me got a recording contract for plinky plonky house numbers "crayzze, baybee, save me" all that kind of crap. She turned up 2 months later at the greasy spoon where she used to work and we were having a fry up the morning after a townwards soiree, in a silver Audi TT, swanned in and said, "I just wanted to see the old place, to remind me of what it used to be like" much to the annoyance of the other girls and her former employer. Airhead.

I heard Girls Aloud, or was it The Saturdays album in HMV, (one of the generics anyway) the marketing team seems to take a carpet bombing attitude to musical styles, as an album of soundbites it was very schizophrenic, with no cohesion, frankly not an easy listen. It consisted of... Balls out pop / materialism in a girls good as long as he's paying / Sassy "I need a good sorting" / cod reggae / piss poor rapping / and de-riguer - a slushy ballad - bloody awful. Cowell and co. you should be ashamed, all these winners produce music either for people with the mentality of an 8 year old, or grannies getting hot under the collar at Il Divo.

If I sound a little superior - good.

Diana you sell your soul or at least any integrity on these shows. Lets hope to God you meet a good producer/songwriter and you are passionate about your product - I doubt it. These groups or singers disappear up their own arses before they realise too late that the machine that made them - can also break them. Then again, if you're as bad as your management and just in it for a fast buck why not target that gullible Heat reading, Peter and Katie watching public... So thats why personally I don't watch it. Gives music a bad name. (or is that Bon Jovi?)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
    SMEagol, Nov 13, 2008
  20. SCIDB

lbr monkey boy

I feel that the show highlights the fundamental difference between a good voice and a good singer.

They've all got awesome voices; not a damn one of them can sing (including Laura, but with the possible exception of Diana, IMvHO).

lbr, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question