xbox live

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by chris.gally, Nov 15, 2003.

1. chris.gally

chris.gally

Hello

Anybody on xbox live and fancy a game of tennis, midtown madness or rainbow 6 3. just signed up today and it is well BRILLIANT. just played tennis with a chap from france and i only scored 2 points over three sets, but it was cool........

my gametag is cg9...

come on you know you want to

Chris

chris.gally, Nov 15, 2003
  2. chris.gally

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

wish I could chris!

you need broadband though, dont u? not possible here in MK unfortunately..

:mad:

bottleneck, Nov 16, 2003
  3. chris.gally

michaelab desafinado

xbox? I play my games on a PC, not a kids toy :JOEL:

On that subject - surely someone must have made an xbox "emulator" for the PC by now or some software that will let you play xbox games on a PC. After all, an xbox is little more than a low spec games PC with a high spec graphics card in a flashy box :MILD:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2003
  4. chris.gally

Sgt Rock

Michael,

What do you play ? have you tried Planetside ?

I have an Xbox, but I'd rather play on the PC.

Bottleneck, no broadband in MK, is it down to aly phone line ?

Sgt Rock, Nov 16, 2003
  5. chris.gally

chris.gally

The best thing with the xbox is the at you can TALK to the people you are playing against. My first game was against a french chap, second with a chap from cali. it realy is a good platform for the multiplayer game. Not sure what to do....just ask who your playing against.. Nowhere near as complicated an the PC. The inability to cheat at any particular game is also a major advantage over its PC cousins.

You will find that over the next few months, years a lot of the PC game developers will be switching over to the xbox. The ease of programming for the Nvidia chipset and not having to develop for the multi platfolm PC (ATI, NVIDIA, whatever Soundblaster) will be a major factor in development time and could bring great cost savings to the struggling small developers. We've got Half Life 2, Doom 3, plenty of RPG's, sports games and driving games. All these withouth the complication of the PC setup. Just put the disk in and connect. Its as simple as that.

Plus, the money Microsoft is pumping into the Xbox (the buying of Rare(ex-nintendo)) its difficult to see the xbox fail. PS2 beware......

Anyway....

The kids toy :p also doubles up as a PC if so required (linux compatible). the joystick ports are just modified usb port. It's a lot more than just a games machine . Mame emulators, C64 emulator, i was playing Chucky Egg on it earlier on.

see www.xbox-scene.com to se what the xbox can do.

Anyone for a game????

Chris

chris.gally, Nov 16, 2003
  6. chris.gally

michaelab desafinado

I was only joshing. TBH I play very few games these days - I just don't have the time. Last game I played (and one of the few I finished) was Splinter Cell which was awesome. It was a hell of a lot better on the PC than on my mate's PS2 (never saw the xbox version though).

I think the ability to cheat in (most) PC games is an advantage. I don't have time to try a particular level 236 times until I get it all just right so I often use cheats to reduce the difficulty of a game because IMO most games these days are just far too difficult. Take Homeworld (the original) I got about 5 or 6 levels in (a long way from the end) and got to this one level which both me and my mate tried about 100 times and it was just impossible so eventually I just gave up. That's not value for money for me if I can only ever play half the game :(

One of the advantages of the PC version of Splinter Cell over the PS2 version was that you could save the game at any stage so if you've just completed a difficult section you don't have to do it all over again if you screw up the next bit. Makes the whole game a lot easier.

If people don't want to cheat then they don't have to!

As for consoles in general they have very limited appeal to me. I have a PC anyway which can play games excellently, why do I need a console aswell? I bought a PlayStation (the original) ages ago just so I could play Gran Turismo 2 but even then I played it for about a month and it's been gathering dust ever since.

The only multiplayer game I've played is the MP version of Half-Life which was pretty impressive but not a lot of fun for me as I usually got killed about 20 seconds into each game :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2003
  7. chris.gally

MO! MOnkey`ead!

What you need then is a dance mat! :D

MO!, Nov 17, 2003
  8. chris.gally

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Well you can also talk to people on some pc games if you have the headset and the required software (Roger Wilco, Teamspeak etc). Granted its not as easy as xbox live but it IS possible. Rare are apparantly in deep deep do do firing staff left right and centre. Its barely recogniseable as the company that brought Goldeneye and later Perfect Dark on the N64 all those years ago. You may find more people up for a game on forums such as www.rllmuk.com and www.ntsc-uk.com. Head on over to those forums where they are quite friendly. You should have no problem getting people up for a game.

Myself I have a jap/us gamecube simply so that I can get games quicker and cheaper :) For example I've been playing Mario Golf since around August. Its not out over here till about November!

Cheers.

davidcotton, Nov 19, 2003
  9. chris.gally

chris.gally

Nintendo Fanboy

Im also an a hardened Nintendo fan owning an Orange Gamecube and buying the 'better' games. Not too sure about the import/cheaper thing, where do you shop? When i use LikSang i ALLWAYS get stung with import duty:grrr:. I've recently been picking up the older games from Ebay at a greatly reduced price (Metroid £15, Eternal Darkness £12).

Back to being whupped at Top Spin (ranked 19854)

Chris

chris.gally, Nov 19, 2003
  10. chris.gally

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

I use tronixweb.com or www.dvdboxoffice.com

This are for us games btw. If you ask Tronix very nicely when you order from them they always mark the packet as a gift and put the price on it down to about five dollars so you won't get stung. DvdBoxoffice are in Canada. They take a bit longer to get here, about 3-4 weeks as a rule if its in stock. Never been stung by anything that I've ordered from them.

More info over on ntsc if you want it.

davidcotton, Nov 19, 2003
  11. chris.gally

chris.gally

Thanks for the info :D

Chris

chris.gally, Nov 19, 2003
Ask a Question