Yahoo/messenger...........advise plse?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DavidF, Jul 20, 2008.

1. DavidF

DavidF

Hi

.....anyone over here know?

I have been exchanging mails with a Polish penfriend for a bit.

She is suggesting that we use the above to help with me learning the language.

I really don't know anything about it.....I see it involves telephone converstions.....I'm not especially keen on running up a mega phone bill to Poland.

Can some one enlighten me on what happens here; how it works, what it does, etc?

DavidF, Jul 20, 2008
  2. DavidF

mr cat Member of the month

I haven't used it - but it's like instant messaging...you both have dialogue boxes and you're able to type to each other in real time...
    not sure where the telephone bit comes in... :)

mr cat, Jul 20, 2008
  3. DavidF

nando nando

i am on yahoo messenger, is simple and free as i use it to contact my family in america, you have to request the person onto your chat name and accept, than you can chat as much as you like 24-7 for free,
    nando

nando, Jul 20, 2008
  4. DavidF

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Both are free. As said above you add your friends and then can open text conversations and chat in real time. You can also send files across, play games and set up sharing folders and such.
    You can also view webcams and have audio conversations for free.

MO!, Jul 20, 2008
  5. DavidF

DavidF

Right

Thanks very much.

So if you ca n have audio converations for free over your computer doesn't this make nockery of BTs charging tarifs for naomal LL convertions abroad?

DavidF, Jul 20, 2008
  6. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

Only if the person you want to talk to has a computer with microphone and stuff. But yes, its much better than paying for calls. You can add a webcam too, and see each other. Though what the appeal of watching someone sit at a computer is I'm not sure!

I'm using the web version of MSN right now. A girl gave me her MSN address thing and I have not had MSN installed for years, so I just went to the online one where you don't have to install anything. You might try it.

http://webmessenger.msn.com/default.aspx?R=1

Tenson, Jul 20, 2008
  7. DavidF

DavidF

thanks

I haven't used the microphone (came with the origional machine long ago) with this one.

Have to experiment.

DavidF, Jul 20, 2008
  8. DavidF

MO! MOnkey`ead!

It really is very easy to use and set up. I wouldn't be without msn. I use it on my phone too. It's free!

Infact I've just been talking to a three mates, 1 local, one in Kidderminster, and the other in Edinburgh about sorting my brothers engagement party out. Phoning between everyone and trying to organise it owuld have took ages and used my phone bill up. With MSN, just invite everyone into the conversation and talk in real time.

I think the webcam and audio are meant to be better on yahoo, but I've not really used it much. Just use it for typing really.

MO!, Jul 21, 2008
  9. DavidF

DavidF

cheers

:cool:

DavidF, Jul 21, 2008
Ask a Question