yamaha 620 and/or pioneer 656a owners...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Sep 30, 2003.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

Hi, I've an ongoing problem whilst trying to play DVD-a and SACD on my setup.
    I've got the following discs -
    REM - dvd-a
    the pogues - dvd-a
    mike oldfield - sacd

I can play rem using dvd-a (configured on the dvd player), but when I played the pogues and mike oldfield they only play using 2 channels, however, when I configure the dvd player to play using dvd-v it plays multichannel (for the pogues), but I'm not blown away with the sound quality...
    I use the 6ch input, and I'm using 3 sets of phono leads...
    the manuals aren't that clear anyway.

whats settings should I be looking at, and what settings do you lot use..?
    any tips would be useful...

mr cat, Sep 30, 2003
  2. mr cat

Mr_Sukebe

I've tried multichannel music, and really didn't like it.
    If I were in your position, I'd configure your kit for use in stereo, and therefore completely bypass your av amp, which is probably not doing the sound any favours at all.

Mr_Sukebe, Sep 30, 2003
  3. mr cat

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I have the 656A, but only for 2 SCARTS and decent performance...

Still not found a DVD-A or SACD I'd want that I can't get on vinyl with better sound to boot - sorry to be unhelpful...

Maybe the Pogues' DVD-A part IS only in stereo though?

domfjbrown, Sep 30, 2003
  4. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, the pogues are multi-channel, but it only plays multi-channel when I set the dvd player to play via dvd-v, not dvd-a...hmmm...:(

mr cat, Sep 30, 2003
  5. mr cat

Rory satisfied

well i have the 747a and have some steely dan dvd-as and the SACD u mention and all play in 5.1 or 2ch fine. you have to go into audio setup on the 656 and configure whether u want to hear sacds/dvd-as in either 2 or multi-channel mode. dvd videos are a separate entity as it should be piped thru the digi out, whereas sacds and dvd-as should be thru the dvd playeres decoder.

hths

Rory, Sep 30, 2003
  6. mr cat

Matt F

I don't want to be too critical here but that has to be one of the most unhelpful/irrelevant posts I've seen.

The guy isn't asking for your opinion on multi channel music - he's put together a multi channel system and needs help configuring it. He isn't even asking how to get better stereo sound.

And what's this about bypassing his AV amp? Into what? He hasn't got an additional stereo amp.

Sorry to give you some stick Mr_Sukebe but, reversing matters, if I responded to a thread about a new turntable and said "stereo's old hat, get yourself a multi channel set up" then I'd expect to get some stick too.

Matt.

Matt F, Oct 1, 2003
  7. mr cat

Mr_Sukebe

Matt>

You're dead right about the stereo amp bit. I'd written the reply whilst in the office and clearly had not read the initial positing well enough to even spot that no stereo amp was even available.

Having said all of that, I would still stand by my statement about configuring the kit to run in stereo, I'm sure that even an AV amp can achieve that (well I know that mine can).

Thanks for slapping my wrists, I promise to make more efforts in the future sir.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 1, 2003
Ask a Question