Yamaha DSP E800 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mik60ish, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mik60ish

mik60ish

Hi I was thinking of upgrading my Yamaha DSP E800 which I've had for 13 years as just bought a PS3 to play bluray disc's and thinking it might sound better through my Naim 200/202 front end, would like to use it same way as I use the Yamaha at the moment with the control via the Yamaha etc don't want to go OTT as on a budget.

mik60ish, Jul 28, 2009
  2. mik60ish

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

If you can go S/H, one of the RSP Rotels or if you can stretch Naim AV2.

The Audiolab £1,000 ish processor is ment to be fantastic.

You are in a difficult part of the market, manufactures do not seem to cater for mid processors, they just churn out amps!

Levi_501, Jul 28, 2009
  3. mik60ish

Dev Moderator

The E800 is different in that it is a processor with amps for the centre and surround speakers. When my E492 (predecessor to E800) died, I replaced it with a Denon AV amp. What a waste:(. 2 amp channels are redundant and the amp isn't good enough for audio (shockingly :D).

As far as I know there is nothing like the E800 on the market any more.

Dev, Jul 28, 2009
  4. mik60ish

Mr_Sukebe

It really depends upon your budget and what audio formats you wish to support.
    If you wish to get full HD audio from your PS3, then you need and amp that can deal with audio from HDMI. There are some fairly cheap AV receivers that have pre-outs (e.g. some of the newer Yamaha amps) and further up the range you could try the Audiolab processor (available for around £850 if you look in the right place). The key issue with looking for HD audio support is that you have to buy new and as such are paying a premium for it.

If you're happy going s/h and aren't too bothered about HD audio (e.g. if you still find yourself mainly watching DVDs), then there's tons of really good bargains around. Ex flagship receivers from Denon and Yamaha can be had for around £300-400, not bad bearing in mind they cost £2000-3000. Additionally, legacy AV processors are dirt cheap too. Just agreed sale on my old Thule unit for under £300. It cost around £1800 when new and is still an ace piece of kit. Up from that, you're looking at options from Bryston (e.g. saw a nice looking SP1.7 going recently for around £700), Lexicon and Meridian.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 28, 2009
Ask a Question