Yamaha NS1000X anyone?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by leonard smalls, Jul 21, 2005.

1. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

leonard smalls, Jul 21, 2005
  2. leonard smalls

Graham C

Marvellous, but not enough bass for you leonard - unless they are rear surrounds maybe??

Graham C, Jul 21, 2005
  3. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Rear surrounds would have to be another pair of Ditton 66s, plus another 2x600w of Bryston to drive them...
    Don't want bookshelf speakers really :D

leonard smalls, Jul 21, 2005
  4. leonard smalls

joel Shaman of Signals

This is an ancient thread now, but I can add a little price guide here...
    I picked up my pair of 1000x for the princely sum of 350quid here in Japan just before xmas. Even allowing for freight, tax etc, that's a long way from 1800quid nevermind 2.5K.
    They are better than any 2K speaker I can think of, though. And if they were on sale today, the cost be closer to 10K I think (taking materials, construction overall build quality into account).

For a large, lossy English room I think this may well be correct. In my smallish, concrete, Japanese bunker, however, they work amazingly well.
    Stunningly good speakers, and the easily the best 350quid I've ever spent on audio.

joel, Feb 15, 2007
  5. leonard smalls

Dev Moderator

£350?, Let me be the first one to say I HATE YOU!!!:D.

Thanks for the blog in your signature, looks like you had a very enjoyable day.

Dev, Feb 15, 2007
  6. leonard smalls

joel Shaman of Signals

Hi Dev,
    Yeah, these are represent a truely great bargain in Japan.
    OTOH, Garrards are about 20x the price here they are in the UK, and you can get better service and plinths over there, too.
    Must update blog...

joel, Feb 15, 2007
  7. leonard smalls

Baudrillard

I once heard the Yams which were on display in a shop in Tottenham Court Road (about '97). Cannot remember the price but probably under a grand.

The sounded really big with amazing sense of stereo.

Decided to go for a new pair of JBL 4312's, which JBL briefly re-released in the UK around this time. Cost £1k but sold for £550 three years ago- one of my big regrets.

Baudrillard, Feb 15, 2007
  8. leonard smalls

Dev Moderator

You can probably still buy these JBLs along with other BIG classic speakers in Japan. I understand that most of Tannoy's larger models go to the Far East for example. I think it's quite ironic given the smaller rooms there. They obviously share our tastes:).

Dev, Feb 15, 2007
  9. leonard smalls

Baudrillard

I did investigate the matter last year with various phone calls to the States. I believe some JBL models are actually made in California and then flown to the Far East but are not made available for US or European customers. This rather rigid state of affairs is purely to do with it not being 'financially viable' enough to sell large studio monitors (other than flagship models such as the K2) outside the Far East. Evidently, Harman's accountants decided the market was too small.

I adore my Tannoy DMT 15s but would also love to get hold of another pair of 3-way 4312s (or similar).

10. leonard smalls

Dev Moderator

It may be possible to import them from Japan. S&M seems to manage it somehow.

Dev, Feb 15, 2007
  11. leonard smalls

Baudrillard

Out of interest, what do you drive the Yams with? They are meant to be difficult to partner.

I'd definitely be interested in another pair of JBLs

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  12. leonard smalls

joel Shaman of Signals

Usually a Harman Kardon Citation X-I, but that's being repaired atm, so I've got a spare pair of Trigon Dwarf monoblocs in there. Sounds good, but it's not a combination for those who like their audio rose-tinted (it's not harsh, though). The Yams sound something like a mutant cross between Harbeth, JBL and Quad. They may not be quite as good in any single area as any of the above, but taken together, it is a powerfully good combination of attributes.

joel, Feb 15, 2007
  13. leonard smalls

andyoz

The German eBay market is very active with JBL's and normally they are in good shape.

You need a set of these:

http://cgi.ebay.de/JBL-250-Ti_W0QQitemZ220080230425QQihZ012QQcategoryZ23323QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That pair needed a bit of work (woofer refoams) but I could have used them to harvest spares for my existing set of 250Ti's. I priced the shipping and it was about €450(!!) but the smaller JBL's would be much easier to ship from Europe. Just need a bit of patience.

andyoz, Feb 15, 2007
Ask a Question