Yet Another Digital Camera Thread !

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Levi_501, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Levi_501

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

I am toying with the idea of going to the pixelated side, I am still planning to keep my film camera and will be using it for all the important stuff, but would like a digi for odd things and test shots before using 35mm and medium format.

I had a bit of a play with a Canon 5D, it was very nice and almost felt camera like, however at roughly 1,800 earth pounds, it hardly cheap. If I really hunt I may be able to get in for 1,500 but still.

In comparison, the 30D felt a bit cheapish and gimmicky, perhaps I am be overly picky, especially as I had the 5D in my hand first.

Apart from the amount of pixels, what else should you be looking for ? Is there much difference between 8 million, 10 and or 12 million ?

I went for Canon, purely as I have a complete Canon set, the only other thing to do, is to completely switch to Nikon and start again.

I think I would prefer to go for performance over features, I use the play feature on my CD player more than all the other put together !

Not sure if anyone else knows, but Team Photography in Covent Garden has closed, I am now using Bayeux, just off Oxford Street, anyone else used them ?

Levi_501, Jan 2, 2007
  2. Levi_501

MO! MOnkey`ead!

To be honest, I feel digital is at a level now where if you do keep your film cameras, you'll find yourself rarely (if indeed ever) picking them up again.

The quality is there, and the convenience and other benefits of digital edge it IMO.

Can't really comment on the Canon gear or indeed on "pro bodies". I've had a play with the D200 which has a great feel to it. Over my budget and went against what I was looking for (size/weight) anyhow.... which made not being able to afford it easier to take :) I'd certainly have a look at it though. You may be looking for something MOre like a "pro" type D2xx body. Far too big for my liking though.
    The D200 seems to have converted a lot of Canon users to Nikon (including the owner of the one I'd played with).

8MP should be plenty. The MOre you have, then the MOre room you have to crop and blow up your images though.

MO!, Jan 2, 2007
Ask a Question