You don't believe we're on the eve of destruction?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heavymental, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

Not really Avanzato. My hypothetical comet assumes everything gets wiped out and the whole thing starts again to see what happens. Watching from a distant star some celestial being might not be too sad to see us go is all I'm saying.

I'm just ruminating on the subject from an objective view. Although it will be interesting for that celestial being to see if we do ever learn and manage to live in a world thats a bit fairer but I think theres going to be many more savage days until then.

Makes me think of those Jehovas Witness leaflets with the pictures of kids cuddling a lion in some utopia :D :chunder:

Heavymental, Sep 2, 2005
  2. Heavymental

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

I think nature can hand out more destructive force than man every could, look at Mount St Helen's, I don't know the exact figures but it could be 100's times more powerful then any nuclear bomb, we are powerless against forces like this, reminds us of how insignificant we really are.

Ignorance is bliss, ask any American.

I don't know what are they like, a little storm and their whole country falls apart, I think the term is, Piss up in brewery and ability to organise.

lhatkins, Sep 2, 2005
  3. Heavymental

Graham C

Unfortunately we handed evolution over to the women back in the sixties.

Graham C, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Heavymental

rudolph hucker rude ol --cker

i think we are all living on borrowed time. we have to many of us making to much pollution, and when the undeveloped countries join in this pollution thing we are all doomed. i feel ok though. i am doing my bit. we are one of the greenest countries on earth here in sweden. we don't burn any coal, gas or oil here ,and the air is so clean you only have to look at the buildings to see that. they have that freshly painted look.

rudolph hucker, Sep 7, 2005
  5. Heavymental

tones compulsive cantater

No. There is a natural cycle in the Earth's climate that has nothing to do with man. For example, the Thames used to freeze so solidly in winter that they held a fair on it around Christmas time. The last such fair took place in the early 1800s, long before human activity could have had any appreciable effect on the climate. Remember too that the last Ice Age finished only 10,000 years ago, a wink in geological time.

Having said that, there is no doubt that human industrial activity is now having an appreciable effect on the climate, probably in ways that we don't understand at all. It certainly behooves us to make less mess and consume less, and therefore to reduce the effect. OK, who's first?

tones, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Heavymental

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Its always been the end of the world somewhere in some people's eyes. Life will go on but it won't be unchanged.

I mean, for example, there you are in roughly 400 AD, having this discussion with your mates at the bathhouse - illegal immigrants everywhere, they are all uncivillized barbarians that we invited in to serve in the armies but then they brought their entire extended families along too and now their demanding land to farm - that's effin' Federati for you.... where's it going to end? And then the worst bunch of them all hove into view, the Huns, and even our Ostrogoth and Visigoth 'friends' are shit scared of them, and those mean f****rs are going to come along and sack Rome anyday and then where will we be? And to cap it all the Sun's stopped shining, crops are failing (little do they know about the massive volcanic eruptions in what's now Indonesia that caused the world's temperatures to plummet for a couple of decades about then) there's plague come from Persia and and and.....

alanbeeb, Sep 7, 2005
  7. Heavymental

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, I've got a boom on the history of newcastle - and that had frequent references to the river tyne being completely frozen over for a 10 mile duration...interesting stuff!

mr cat, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Heavymental

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Back in the good old days when nature culled the nasty virus known as Man by disease. Now we're too smart, we'll take ourselves out via overpopulation, global starvation, and pollution.

And people wander why I'd never want kids - I'm with Nic Cage's character, Stanley Goodspeed ("The Rock") on this one - I find it primarily selfish to want to inflict the current world climate on my kids. Disability inheritence aside, I'd have the same view if I wasn't the carrier of a hereditary (sp??) syndrome...

Personally, I say "bring it on" - we seem hell bent on killing each other, so why prolong the agony?

domfjbrown, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Heavymental

tones compulsive cantater

Careful, Dom, we all know what objectionable little git last said that - and you wouldn't want to be compared with it, would you?

tones, Sep 8, 2005
  10. Heavymental

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Well if you want to pass the time we could watch the Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam I'm told it now glows in the dark, not seen it yet, but when she blows, bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss ya ass good bye! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2005
    lhatkins, Sep 9, 2005
  11. Heavymental

Decca

If the world was going to end soon, the DFS sale would end the day after

Decca, Sep 10, 2005
Ask a Question