your cd player-Whats on the inside?

Discussion in 'Trade Adverts and Discussion' started by weald-audio, Aug 31, 2008.

1. weald-audio

weald-audio

Ever removed the top from your £1000 cd player?What is actually inside that fancy case that makes it sound the way it does? Someone once said that your listening to the power supply in your amplifier.In your cd player this is also the case.However, something has to make those digits that the laser reads into music.This is the job of the digital to Analogue Converter. U.S. digital experts Theta were the first company to market an offboard dac in the late eighties,since then a plethora have become available.7/8 years ago whilst attending a hi-fi show, we came across another new company whose digital experience had led them to develop a top class converter.Marketed to compete with Levinson, Krell,and Theta and beat them at their own game, Perpetual Technologies, had risen from the ashes of long time digital stalwarts Audio Alchemy.On first hearing the P3a, I was impressed.Levels of detail retrival, dynamics and soundstage, were of the highest calibre.My usual cynical self, was then reminded of a wise old hi-fi guy who told me "any idiot can make a $5000 cd player sound good,the trick is to be able to do it for $1000".Well They did.The P3A was available for under $1000.Today 6 years later, this converter beats all but the elite.It doesnt end there though.A few years ago, our whizz kid modifier Dan Wright (www.modwright.com.) began upgrading these dacs.The results are wonderful, now truly sublime, non-digital reproduction, at realistic prices.Thats enough of my rantings, if you want to know more, a huge amount of positive reviews are out there in computer land.We offer a 10 day trail, with a full money back warranty(less shipping) if the Modwright Signature P3a does not enthral.Below is a breakdown of Dans work on these units, for the techies here,please feel free to mail any questions.Oh yeah the price just £795 plus £20 DHL overnight shipping, thanks.
    Modwright P3-A upgrades.
    Upgrade rectifiers to Ultrafast soft recovery diodes

upgrade digital input resistor to 1% precision metal film caddock resistors

upgrade key analogue filter stage caps to Wima films

upgrade coupling caps to Black Gates

upgrade stock op amps to Burr Browns best OPA-627s

upgrade all key analogue signal path resisitors to 1% precision metal film Caddock resistors

Proprietary current loading mods to further bias the op amps into class A opertionand further lower the noise floor

Increase analogue and digital filtering in power supply decoupling applications.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
    weald-audio, Aug 31, 2008
  2. weald-audio

unclepuncle

Are Perputual Technologies still in business - I thought they had ceased trading two or three years ago - the reviews on the web on this item are all from around 2001?

unclepuncle, Sep 1, 2008
  3. weald-audio

weald-audio

pert tech

Hi uncle.Pert Tech are now distributed by AV123.com. Pert Techs ceo Mark Schifter is in control.

weald-audio, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question