Your ten most cherished recordings...

Discussion in 'General Music' started by greg, Feb 7, 2004.

1. greg

Gambit Junior Vice President

1. Incubus - S.C.I.E.N..C.E.
    2. Tool - Lateralus
    3. PJ Harvey - Stories from the city, Stories from the Sea
    4. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
    5. Incubus - Make Yourself
    6. Ben Christophers - Spoonface
    7. Free - Fire and Water
    8. Peter Gabriel - So
    9. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    10. Rival Schools - United by Fate

Soooo many more too

Gambit, Feb 9, 2004
  2. greg

The Devil IHTFP

Eels - Beautiful Freak
    Mozart - Requiem
    JJ Cale - Naturally
    Tom Waits - Closing Time
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM
    Van Morrison - TB Sheets
    Nina Simone - Feeling Good
    Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - The Master Sessions
    Gotan Project - La Revancha del Tango
    Ice Cube - War & Peace Part 1

These are off the top of my head and I reserve the right to alter them without notice.

The Devil, Feb 9, 2004
  3. greg

Joolsburger

Nightmares on Wax..Smokers delight, hasn't been far from my TT over the last 8 years or so.

Tori Amos...Little Earthquakes..Just cos of "Winter" which is a cracking good song

Lou Donaldson..Blue Breakbeats.. it's a comp it's cheap and it's got some killer tunes on it...

Kruder and Dorfmeister..The K&D sessions, Just superb.

Thievery Corporation.. The Richest Man in Babylon. A wonderful downtempo mix of good tunes.

Gotan Project.. La Revancha Del Tango , good french weirdness.

Bob Marley and the Wailers.. Exodus.. Well it's Bob isn't it but I had to choose one.

Beth Orton..Daybreaker.. Had it a while now and I have bought another copy cos of clicky popping noises. Never done that before!

Vivaldi. The four seasons, On decca with the Academy of St Martin in the Fields, it's popular and rightly so if you ask me, good recording and performance I never tire of.

John Martyn, Solid Air.. Just good full stop.

This is probably not an exhaustive list but I have tried to think of the ones I let play through!!!

Joolsburger, Feb 9, 2004
  4. greg

Philip King Enlightened User

Wow just ten, ok in no particular order

I. Night and the City – Charlie Haden and Kenny Barron - Recorded live in a New York club, you can feel the vibe and smell the smoke in the place, an absolute must play for those late night listening sessions. Also excellent to use to pick up details of a system as someone in the kitchen drops a saucepan lid at about 12mins into track 1! Oh its piano and double bass jazz.

II. Mr Boujangles – Takashi Mizushashi and Hiroshi Tanaka - Heard this in Tokyo on the best rig I have ever come across!!! simply sat down on the sofa and listened to the album twice, left and went straight to the Yamaha shop to buy a copy. Brilliant piano and double bass jazz.

III. The Melody At Night With You – Keith Jarrett - Wonderful playing from the man and none of that really annoying whining you get on a lot of his records. Could have easily put the Koln Concert album here. Solo piano jazz standards.

IV. Kind of Blue – Miles Davis - Simply the jazz album that started everything, not written 12 hours before recording, never played before the first take in the studio and 4 out of 5 first takes were used! Out of this world. Jazz at its best.

V. Miles Davis in Stockholm 1960 Complete – Miles Davis and John Coltrane - Dragon records of Sweden DRCD228. 4 CDs of live jazz by one of the best partnerships ever. Plus a couple of interviews bizarrely enough. More Jazz

VI. Messe As-Dur – Franz Schubert (recording also has 42,Psalm by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy – Not sure why I like this so much really just seems to rejuvenate me every time I listen to it. Would like more recommendations along these lines please. Choral work.

VII. Verdi Requiem and Operatic Choruses – Robert Shaw with Atlanta Symphony - Unbelievable dynamics, such passion, the only recommendation from What HiFi I think I have ever totally agreed with. BTW other suggestions for this performance would be welcome, although I can't imagine it getting a lot better really. This is the album that changed my record collection forever, so be warned! Huge choir and symphony piece.

VII. Nirvana MTV Unplugged - Nirvana - Eclectic mix of his and others songs, fantastic passion, dodgy facial hair, what could have been...Acoustic bliss.

IX. Ben Folds Live – Ben Folds – A brilliant performance by a gifted American performer (previously Bens Fold 5 lead). Great lyrics and electric piano.

X. Stanley Road – Paul Weller - Brit rock/mod at its best, also has fantastic bass lines for testing out new equipment, e.g. track 8

Hmm, difficult

Edited to include rough details of why I picked these;

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2004
    Philip King, Feb 9, 2004
  5. greg

space cadet Far out...

Not necessarily the 10 best, but cherished as they all sort of represent milestones in my musical past and present.

The House of Love – 1st lp (not the ep collection). After having outgrown The Cure when I was 14 or so I stumbled on a tv programme called Transmission who played a track called Christine by The House of Love. It totally blew me away and so an indie-kid was born.

Spacemen 3 – Playing with Fire. I had Revolution and Suicide on repeat for a whole day...

Rhys Chatham – Die Donnergötter. Contemporary composition. Side one is a piece for 6 oddly tuned guitars + bass and drums and one of those records that made my jaw drop first time I heard it.

The Tables – Shady Whims and Obstacles. Silly norwegian psychedelic pop that is just so infectious.

Psychic Warriors ov Gaia – Obsidian. Indie Kid reluctantly discovers hypnotic electronic music. Nothing else sounds like this though.

The Fat Tulips – Where's Clare Grogan Now? 7"ep. Without this record I would still be miserable in Norway without my wife and kid.

Cerberus Shoal – And Farewell to Hightide. Still my favourite post-rock album.

Birchville Cat Motel – Cranes are sleeping. I bought this blind and listened to it on headphones and was at first horrified, but it taught me how to appreciate noise. A beautiful lp.

Albert Ayler – Spiritual Unity. I heard Ghost, First Variation on a Wire sampler, I thought I would hate it, but instead it turned me on to a whole new genre.

Supersilent – 1-3. An astonishing improv 3cd set. The first release on what is now IMHO the greatest label on the planet: Rune Grammofon

Right now though, my favourite is Jack Rose's Opium Musick. There should really be some Pelt in there... oh heck, 10 is not enough

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2004
    space cadet, Feb 10, 2004
  6. greg

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've tried to keep off this thread as my list would probably change on a daily bassis however in no particular order....

1) simon and garfunkel - tales from new york.

2) the damned - phantasmagoria.

3) metallica - garge inc.

4) aphex twin - selected ambient works i 85 - 92.

5) concrete blonde - mexican moon

6) the kevin and perry go large sound track.

7) Rush - 2112.

8) Fleetwood mac - rumours

9) Depeche mode - the singles box set

10) Vangellis - gift.

even now i want to change it so this was a snapshot of my 10 most cherrished recordings a few seconds ago.... damn

cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 10, 2004
  7. greg

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

That's the exact same reason I put that one on! Mind you, the title track is awesome as well...

HOW could I forget Eels' Beautiful Freak!? Arse...

I didn't put DSOTM on as I figured if I was in the middle of unchartered space, I'd still hear it somewhere... (that's not a dig - it's a great album!).

Christine by House of love is one haunting track - totally amazing. Is that from the album that has a kind of slightly colour bleached portrait shot of the band on the cover? I saw an original 1986 unbarcoded CD copy of that years ago and nearly bought it on spec (not knowing anything other than Shine on at that point). Oh well...

domfjbrown, Feb 10, 2004
  8. greg

cookiemonster

Too damn right.

I want to change mine today!

How many subs are we allowed to bring on? I've got Erin McKeown sitting on the bench following an excellent performance in training last night, and frankly Tracy Chapman hasn't been anywhere near the spinner in ages, which can only be counted as a lacklustre performance at best.

Balls!

cookiemonster, Feb 10, 2004
  9. greg

greg Its a G thing

The more this grows and morphs the better as a reference of truly personal recommendations. Not lists of "the greatest of all time" but lists of music that really means something to the author. Like if there was a fire and you could only save ten! (nightmarish I know). I'm also keen to understand more about each entry and why the author included it.

Its already becoming a good reference for anyone looking to expand their musical horizons which was my reason for the thread. I often find myself navigating down a particular musical tributary just as a habit. This has helped me go back to basics - the downside of this is my overdraft is becoming a problem again and I'm going to need more shelving.

greg, Feb 10, 2004
  10. greg

MartinC Trainee tea boy

After a little ponder I've come up with the following, in alphabetical order:

Tori Amos - "Little Earthquakes"
    Tracy Chapman - "Tracy Chapman"
    Crowded House - "Recurring Dream: The Best of Crowded House" (probably cheating with a greatest hits...)
    Eels - "Beautiful Freak"
    Faithless - "Reverence"
    Jewel - "Pieces of You"
    Massive Attack - "Blue Lines"
    Portishead - "Dummy"
    Rage Against the Machine - "Rage Against the Machine"
    Spearhead - "Home"

I of course retain the right to come up with an entirely different list if asked again :) .

MartinC, Feb 11, 2004
  11. greg

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I think faves change from time to time, but these never move....

Gary Moore 'Live in japan' Budokan 1984/5? Jap import (rare)
    Deep Purple 'Live in Japan' the 'real 72 tour album'
    Peter Gabriel 'So'
    Stevie Ray V. 'Texas Flood'
    ZZ Top 'Eliminator'
    Rainbow 'Rising'
    Pink Floyd 'The Wall'
    EEls 'Beautiful freak'
    Simple Minds 'Live in the city of light'
    U2 'Under a blood red sky'

wadia-miester, Feb 11, 2004
  12. greg

notaclue

No particular order. Not really my most cherished. Just 10 very good albums.

The Byrds 'Fifth Dimension'
    Joni Mitchell 'Hissing of Summer Lawns'
    Tim Buckley 'Blue Afternoon'
    Jane's Addiction 'Ritual de lo Habitual'
    Husker Du 'New Day Rising'
    Ramones 'Ramones'
    Pere Ubu 'The Modern Dance'
    Gene Clark 'No Other'
    Fairport Convention 'Liege and Leaf'
    Miles Davis 'In a Silent Way'

notaclue, Feb 11, 2004
  13. greg

sideshowbob Trisha

Nice list. The Pere Ubu is one of my favourite albums ever, and the rest on the list are pretty damned fine too.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 11, 2004
  14. greg

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hi Notaclue,

Interested to see this Gene Clark album in your list. Just wondered what its like. My girlfriend is a huge Byrds fan and wants this album badly. Unfortunately she wants it on vinyl rather than CD and they aren't cheap these days - however if its a real corker it may be worth it.

Uncle Ants, Feb 12, 2004
  15. greg

notaclue

'No Other' is a genuine timeless masterpiece type thingy. A few track samples at http://www.singingfish.com/cgi-bin/...eo&duration=&adv=true&SEARCH.x=26&SEARCH.y=12

I first bought it many years ago on vinyl on the Edsel reissue label. Was then unavailable for a long time but was reissued last year on CD by original label (Warner Bros) so on CD it's now very widely available for about £10. Not sure how easy it will be to find on LP but, trust me, it's worth it.

notaclue, Feb 12, 2004
  16. greg

juboy

Misfits 'Walk Among Us'
    Kiss 'Destroyer'
    Kiss 'Alive!'
    Jellyfish 'Bellybutton'
    Keith Caputo 'Died Laughing'
    Jane's Addiction 'Nothing's Shocking'
    Killing Joke 'Nighttime'
    Nukleuz presents 'Hard House Anthems Vol.1'
    Ferry Corsten 'Globaltranemissions_01'
    Nine Ince Nails 'Pretty Hate Machine'

juboy, Feb 12, 2004
  17. greg

oscar23

Prince - Sign O' The Times
    The Clash - London Calling
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Miracle Mile - Slow Fade
    David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars
    Nick Drake - An Introduction To
    Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong (Live)
    Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
    Van Morrisson - Astral Weeks
    Prince - Small Club (Bootleg :mad: :))

...god that was difficult :)

oscar23, Feb 12, 2004
  18. greg

blogger

Most Cherised - I think hold the most memories - possibly not the best recorded etc, or my current favourites - on that basis :-

Jethro Tull – MU Best Of
    David Bowie – Hunky Dory
    Vangelis – Blade Runner
    Kate Bush – The Kick Inside
    Pink Floyd – The Wall
    ONJ - Physical
    Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells 2003
    Frank Zappa – Joes Garage
    Genesis – Lamb Lies Down
    Dire Straits – Brothers In

blogger, Feb 12, 2004
  19. greg

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

This has to be probably be my most trasured album. My dad bought it me a few years back as a christmas present and its about the only thing that goes into my CD player these days as I have so much vynil now.

I am always scared of breaking the CDs on this album because its no longer on sale. You can only by the two CD greatest hits now.

As for my other top most cherished recordings I really can't think at the moment.

amazingtrade, Feb 13, 2004
  20. greg

cookiemonster

cookiemonster, Feb 13, 2004
Ask a Question