zanash/pre/buffer/deq

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DavidF, Jan 7, 2007.

1. DavidF

DavidF

Originally Posted by DavidF
    .......not meaning to tread on zanash's toes (I know hes currently working on stuff for me)......

.......indeed he has been.

for the record....

Pete came around to my place Friday to help with/hook up;

1) a replacement pre ...replaces the N*im pre amp I had been using......

We both felt that whilst my system had plenty of PRaT, it was lacking something in the sound staging department; so Pete built another pre.....from scratch; I know he has put a lot of work into it.

2) a behringer T1953 buffer. Again this was Petes idea. This is something I'd never heared of! When i read the reports of the musical fidelity x10 (I think that was the one) I was suitably encouraged! This I think helps with the transistion betwen cdp and pre.

3) a behringer ultapro 2496 deq room equaliser. I have (again) read a lot about these.....only recently decided to take the plunge.

I have to admit that this equipment is now way beyond my (present) field of knowledge ......but I Pete has always come with the goods before......

The over-all result?

Gone is the previous "wall of sound".

We now have a system that produces a very pleasant, deep, solid image

It was also very quickly apparent that the changes have released an enormous amount of detail.......its now totally different system. The speakers do now "disappear".

I'm sure Pete will elaborate on the details far better than i am able to. Suffice to say thanks again. Petes help was invaluable, not the least of which with setting up the deq room equaliser.

cheers,

David

DavidF, Jan 7, 2007
  2. DavidF

zanash

cheers ......

Have to say the naim pre [72?] seems to have been the limiting factor. The stepped attenuator and simple switch pre removed several veils ....this backed by the t1953 buffer helped the slighly thin sound of the passive pre ....

I think this now shows that the naim power amp has its limitations and good as your system now sounds, having a normal sound stage with "shock horror" depth rather than naim's "contrived" flat wall of sound approach. This is not to decry the naim sound as in the right place can sound very good ...its just not to my taste.

I'd hope for a slight improvement once I get the balanced silver ic to you ! [though those will have to hang on till the computers all sorted]

zanash, Jan 10, 2007
  3. DavidF

DavidF

for sure...

does this get the entech hooked up again, pete?

what do i do..

digi from cdp to entech

rca (anaolgue presumably) entech to balanced xlr sockets on the deq?

will the deq do the same thing with analogue input signal?

thanks

David

DavidF, Jan 10, 2007
  4. DavidF

DavidF

can't argue with that....

quite a spring board for more tweaks....sounded PDG last night.

DavidF, Jan 10, 2007
Ask a Question