Zerogain p2p music.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by voodoo, Oct 6, 2004.

1. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Now, this is just an idea and Michael will know more about the legalities surrounding my suggestion, so I'd be greatful if he could stear me clear of any sharp and pointy forum issues which may arise :) .

There are several members on the forum who listen to music via their MAC/PC, myself included. Now, I reckon that a large number of those users use p2p services to discover new music and we at Z/G are forever discussing what we're listening too and why we like it. So.......

Why not allow p2p accessing between (authorised*) Z/G users so that we can all share ? I'm certainly not suggesting full access to anyone's hard-drive or all of their music, just a single folder on each user's machine, which can be accessed by said users and contains only the tracks you want to share.

[*Authorisation : Well, a criteria would have to be set as we wouldn't want people just coming over here and only downloading tracks simply because it's free music.]

How cool would it be to actually post some tracks that are "Currently Spinning" so that everyone could share them ?

Just an idea.

voodoo, Oct 6, 2004
  2. voodoo

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Someone could set up a DC (Direct Connect) hub, that would probably be the way to go IMHO.

PBirkett, Oct 6, 2004
  3. voodoo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Sounds like potentialy a really good idea. Legalities will no doubt make it impossible :(

MO!, Oct 6, 2004
  4. voodoo

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

sounds intresting,bet its ilegall though

themadhippy, Oct 6, 2004
  5. voodoo

michaelab desafinado

Sounds interesting, but will definitely be illegal. I've no idea how to go about doing something like this, even assuming I was prepared to "host" it (if it even requires such a thing as it's all decentralized). What software would people use to connect?

If access was for a "closed user group" then it's likely no one would care (assuming the group remains pretty small) even it is illegal.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 6, 2004
  6. voodoo

Robbo

A great idea, but it is illegal.

Bit torrent would be a good one to use. I am a bit hazy about this, but you would need a central server to host the trackers and coordinate the peer to peer connections.

Robbo, Oct 6, 2004
  7. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Can a p2p system not allow for all the (music) files to be held on each others machines (no central server required) ?

We can each set up a 'Zerogain' folder which can be accessed by [Zerogain] users.

voodoo, Oct 6, 2004
  8. voodoo

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Do any of the P2P systems already out there allow you to search by user rather than by song title? If so couldn't we just let each other know our P2P identities and do it that way? Then no-one ZG related has to worry about hosting anything illegal.

MartinC, Oct 6, 2004
  9. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Pretty much what I was trying to describe.
    Cheers Martin :) .

I really do think this would be a great idea. Hell, it might even increase the music related chat on the forum.

voodoo, Oct 6, 2004
  10. voodoo

Robbo

The music is held on others machines but you need a central server to hook up to to coordinate the transfers. At least thats how I understand it.

Robbo, Oct 6, 2004
  11. voodoo

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'm sure Direct Connect can do all of the things you guys are wanting. :)

Also, I am sure you can do it so that only registered users can login, so it would prevent the outside world seeing, know what I mean? ;) :D

I could look into it this weekend.

PBirkett, Oct 6, 2004
  12. voodoo

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Also, I am sure I read of a P2P client type program that was like a private network, so like between ZG users.

PBirkett, Oct 6, 2004
  13. voodoo

voodoo OdD

If anybody has any web links or knowledge, relating to this, can they please post.
    Would be handy.

voodoo, Oct 6, 2004
  14. voodoo

analoguekid Planet Rush

I would be up for this, even have a spare hard drive lying about that could be used to store only music, I take it they will be compressed in some way, or will we make it a certain file type and cpompression rate, ie mp3 192khz or some such.

analoguekid, Oct 6, 2004
  15. voodoo

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Its illegal
    Bob

Bob McC, Oct 6, 2004
  16. voodoo

analoguekid Planet Rush

That's only important if yer caught :)

analoguekid, Oct 6, 2004
  17. voodoo

Robbo

AK,

I would strongly advocate the use of lossless compression such as FLAC if you wanted to go down this route.

Robbo, Oct 6, 2004
  18. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Robbo, given that most people's libraries would be stored using varying types of compression and because of people's general preferences (would they want to rip two copies of a song ? One for them and own to be shared ?), I don't think this would work at first. However, it should be discussed and it's a very vaild point.

voodoo, Oct 6, 2004
  19. voodoo

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

what about if i was storing some back ups of a few tracks on my free webspace and somehow people found there way there, even though its hidden and password protected

themadhippy, Oct 6, 2004
  20. voodoo

analoguekid Planet Rush

Robbo, I suggested MPĀ£ as it's prolly the most widely usable, most things will play it or convert it, without much proprietry software, if I was in Ju's position with huge H/D and this being my main source, however I use mp3/192 on my portable H/D and this is only 40gb, I thought the idea was to use this sharing as a way of "trying before buying" like most on this forum, I would want to own the original if I liked the music, If I did'nt like it I would delete it any way, keeping files small saves bandwidth, for those that are restricted to download limits also.

Voodoo, I don't have much of a library and I suspect I'm not alone, amongst the more died in the wool audiophooles, and if we knew of this sharing thing we could rip our songs accordingly, if we kept it completely above board, ie only used it to sample new sounds and kept it to members only we would prolly be left alone, after all we are doing the artistes and record companies a favour as we would buy something we otherwise may not had exposure to.

analoguekid, Oct 6, 2004
Ask a Question