ZeroGain Reviews

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Richard Dunn, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

OK folks I am still very interested in continuing this project and seperating it from the former nastiness.

As my integrity and motives have been brought into question I will not include any of my products in it.

Lets pick a subject that is not too expensive and can be catered for with out too many problems. Obviously speakers are out, too greater chance of shipping damage. If we ever do speakers I think it will be incumbent on the reviewer to personally deliver, so we would have to make it a local circle.

I think a good start point would be a DAC, what do you think? Now I know next to nothing about the latest crop of modern DACs, though I have seen some posts about them and it seems there are some cheap good-ees around. Now it just so happens I need a DAC to go with an old Arcam transport I have. My remaining old production DACon nva DAC has failed and bits are no longer available for it and I don't really have the time or the motivation to work on another as digital is not my forte.

So vote for the best cheap DAC and I will get one and put it out for review before I finally get it.

Eligible - for safety sake - only members who's full information is available, and have more than 100 posts here to their credit.

Four members to volunteer (not abroad or in the Scottish islands). Commitment - to look after unit and pass it on within one week to the next in chain, either personally or by carrier. To write at least 500 words and optional pictures of your system.

Lets see if the system works and if it is fun, if not it can be binned until the climate (mood) is more agreeable.

Richard

Richard Dunn, Nov 24, 2006
  2. Richard Dunn

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Nov 24, 2006
  3. Richard Dunn

Stereo Mic

Is it all for free like Richard ;-)

Stereo Mic, Nov 24, 2006
  4. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

Is it a kit or built, re PSU one of those I can build, or adapt my existing one :D

Richard

5. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

Sorry don't understand - is this sarcasm?

Richard

6. Richard Dunn

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i certainly think the idea has merit although i'd be wary of doing it with expensive equipment.
    as a moderator of the forum i;d have to stress that zero gain whilst providing a platform for discussion would in no way endorse this endevour or be liable for any damage caused either to the kit in question or people's own kit when it;s connected. any arrangements made would be between consenting, sensible adults who accept that if they do something of their own free will,it;s their own fault if it goes pear shaped.
    that said, if the idea does fly, then put my name down for the dac test. i'd love to see how a cheap dac fares against my dax decade with a squeezebox for a transport.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Nov 25, 2006
  7. Richard Dunn

Tenson Moderator

The kit is a kit, but I gather it is pretty simple. You can get it pre-built for a bit more. The ChibiDAC is the same thing I think. Send him an email, I don't really know anything other than they are meant to be good VFM.

Tenson, Nov 25, 2006
  8. Richard Dunn

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Thanks for picking up my idea and running with the ball. It shouldn't be any problem posting it around within the EU, FYI

SteveC, Nov 25, 2006
  9. Richard Dunn

Stereo Mic

I'm sure you understand Richard.

Might I suggest if you go ahead with this though that you never send out any of your own home made efforts? I have noticed in recent exchanges that you don't seem to react too well to justified criticism. This does not bode well IMO.

And you really need to give these bits of kit to a few people capable of flowery pros that make entertaining reading. People like Wiggies very own Sloppy/WM - always an entertaining viewpoint if rather removed from reality and the english language ;-)

Stereo Mic, Nov 25, 2006
  10. Richard Dunn

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If someone wanted to start off a review circle for head amps I'd be willing to put one of the Rotel ones into the pot.

I'd suggest an additional rule though - no post restantes, PO boxes or other symbolic link drop-offs - the need for physical mail address would be a useful security feature if the owner were worried the kit might disappear - we'd know where to go to administer correctional treatment ;)

SteveC, Nov 25, 2006
  11. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

Now if I get one of those DAC kits and build it into one of my boxes and power supply it the same as the old DACon was would I be accused of promoting my own products again?

If not I am up for it.

So we could have a kit DAC and now an offer of a Rotel head amp, any more for the pot. May I suggest one of Zanash's cables.

Richard

Richard Dunn, Nov 25, 2006
  12. Richard Dunn

nando nando

oh dear, this is getting to be too avarice, but rumours has it "or has being" going on for ages that manufactures always sale direct to joe public ! penny wise pound foolish, i once rememberd a manufacturer saying that the problem with the retailers in this country"industry" meaning small shop"s" were under founded and had no place to be regarded as dealers to represent their over priced items, only their lower range WOW, therefore if they wanted to be an exclusive dealer they must carry a certain amount of "demo" and back up stock, how nise, but to whose benefit was that aimed at, dealers advertisement, stocking product, and the list goes on, so now that the monnopaly is destroing it self from within there comes the creeapy crawlers. nando

nando, Nov 25, 2006
  13. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

:confused:

14. Richard Dunn

Dev Moderator

I know the feeling Richard:D.

Dev, Nov 25, 2006
  15. Richard Dunn

nando nando

richard when i first became a dealer of your new hi-fi known then new to the industry as N.V.A., i was the manager of victoria audio do you remember? i am ssure you can recall that, i sold it to the best of the support that i had based on the faith of your product, need i say more! nando

nando, Nov 25, 2006
  16. Richard Dunn

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Nando
    You've not been spending me spam e-mails have you?

Bob McC, Nov 25, 2006
  17. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

Something that happened over ten years should dictate how I do business now, nonsense. Anyway as far as I know it went bust and owing me money if I remember right. It is a completely different world. Retailers are largely redundent now, it is only because of the disruption involved that swaiths of manufacturers aren't leaving them now and going direct.

I closed my company in 1999 due to many reasons, but one of the major ones was the level of expertise, ability and honesty of UK hi-Fi retailers. If I had to deal through them again I would not have restarted production. The web IS the future, like it or lump it. I intend to use lateral thinking and perception to suss out ways of utilising it. I don't think any of your realise where we are at and going. The future is now, most retailers are redundant fodder soon to be consigned to history with the dodo. The good and clever ones will adapt, the 50 to 100% profit margin leaches will die and very much to the benefit of the industry.

This thing I am promoting with this thread is KITE FLYING do you know what that is?? trying concepts to see if they fly (work). I am in a very happy position to experiment and explore that others are not. I do not rely on the hi-fi industry to pay my bills, that is done already by my other business.

I am no threat to anyone Joseph, I am one man working part time in the spare bedroom, having fun and re awakening my interest in things audio, largely killed off by the partisan, greedy, closed minded, selfish, brainwashed, unbusinesslike, and it some case fraudulent retailers I witnessed in my time dealing with them. ONLY two do I hold respect for who tried their hardest IMO to provide what I would call a decent service, Signals and Chantry Audio.

Like it or lump it, I am experimenting and doing things my way, trying to find a pattern for the future not wallowing in the past and trying to hold on to a high margin industry that has outlived its usefullness.

Richard

18. Richard Dunn

Stereo Mic

So you ARE doing all this just to forward your knowledge of the internet marketplace after all. Well at least it won't cost you anything;-)

Stereo Mic, Nov 25, 2006
  19. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn

Of course I am, but it is the concept that fascinates me not the business. Which is why I am quite willing to remove my products from it and let others see if they have benefit.

Benefits -

Manufacture / bodger / cabler - access to a pool of knowedgeable enthusiasts who love to try new things and treat their hobby as a joy and pleasure.

Enthusiast - trying product within a community, not in isolation subject to the dealers brainwashing and pressure techniques trained in factory visits. No pressure, no cost. Product if they decide to buy at 30-50% lower prices than through a retailer. A community they can recycle their redundant product through.

Losers

Retailers and probably magazines.

Richard

20. Richard Dunn

penance Arrogant Cock

You mean:
    [​IMG]

I hope so, else it must be that befungled managment speak.
    Is it a 30,000 foot project that is way out the box and needing blue sky thinking?

I'll never let you in my corporate touch down pad!

penance, Nov 25, 2006
Ask a Question