ZG & Trade posters - open discussion

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jun 21, 2010.

1. RobHolt

DrMartin

Why don't you tell us?

Quote:

Re: Art of Sound Forum

Postby Dr Bunsen Honeydew on 2010-01-12, 11:15:22 am
    No it was created by three guys, one of whom has now left and one of the other two (Marco) is more controversial and been thrown off more forums than even I have :shock:

Source: http://thehifisubjectivist.noadforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

DrMartin, Jun 22, 2010
  2. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

Guys, please refrain from bringing arguments/discussions from other forums here. It is clearly against the AUP. I must admit I haven't had time to read the whole thread (and apologise in advance if the AUP has not been breached, in which case just ignore me:)) but will prune as necessary when I get a moment.

Dev, Jun 22, 2010
  3. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

It needs pruning as it has gone off topic, yet again led by Mescalito. Funny how there are people who don't want this subject discussed so deliberately derail the thread.

Normal service will resume after the prune. Prunes are good for clearing out a blockage. :D

And may I say if this hasn't been noticed then you need to appoint an extra mod.

Richard Dunn, Jun 22, 2010
  4. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

You really are daft and just invent things to fit your needs. Where do I quote Wiki, it was quoted at me to show me I was wrong and I replied, and for a what you call a bad source, it explains it. You just have to have the brain power to read it and understand it.

I think you need to look at the literal translation from the latin that might help you.

5. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

What is the relevance, look at the title of the thread. :rolleyes: it is like a disease.

6. RobHolt

danworth81 english through n through

I think thats a fair point as forums do generate revenue for dealers and manufacturers by its nature

danworth81, Jun 22, 2010
  7. RobHolt

Regardless of what it is called I think any personal attack on an individual is unacceptable, tho any strong point of view regarding a discussion is just a fundamental right and obvious of a forum which gathers so many people together with the same passion

And les remember thats why we are here!

danworth81, Jun 22, 2010
  8. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Just read this stuff on the last two pages and haven't pruned as it should stand as an example of exactly what we don't want to see.

This thread is about the way ZG should handle trade posters - not about the posting style or forum history of certain individuals.
    So yes, post //35 is out of order but we'll leave it as an example.

FWIW I think that people can take 'attack' to mean many things.
    Simply challenging a persons ideas and opinions is not an attack unless the challenge is peppered with personal insult or questions a persons integrity.

The moderators as a team will determine when something crosses the line into ad hominem - it isn't always a black and white issue.

Back to the thread subject please - some good discussion going on so lets not get derailed.

RobHolt, Jun 22, 2010
  9. RobHolt

nando nando

WELL SPOKEN ROB, i think that the way we configuer our topics it is more in a way to share views q.&a. not to bitch prsoanally, but we will get diverse doctrine on threads that are personal tedious subgets,
    nando.

nando, Jun 22, 2010
  10. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Run this thread until Friday - long enough ?

Then we can go away and knock out some guidelines.

RobHolt, Jun 22, 2010
  11. RobHolt

nando nando

nice, i will have my tannoys soon or maybe not. anyway i still have dev's pictures of them. ha, ha,

nando, Jun 22, 2010
  12. RobHolt

Surely the incorporation of dealers and manufacturers into the open forum is a plus and shows that they are not just unknown identities behind company badges and those who choose to come here are really brave in my opinion as we dont all have the same views about gear and there are always positives and negatives.

These views good or bad are surely a benefit to the manufacturer in terms of feedback on their products and lets face it we are their salary! Any manufacturer or designer coming into these forums must be open to praise and constructive criticism to move forward with their products to satisfy their customers and to rule them out of threads due to being trade is daft as u could be chatting about one thing and then a refernce to a certain area of this particular manufacturers products or expertise arrises and its handy to have them around

We all need advice and none of us has heard every product out there and know the in and outs of them all.....so who do we go to manufactures and dealers for info and dems

So why deal with them in the first place if its a problem to have them in the forum, if u got something to say its best to say it to their face IMO!

danworth81, Jun 22, 2010
  13. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

No issues at all with discussing them in general terms and in a productive way but what we should not be doing is bringing disputes from another forum here, which is what I was afraid was going to happen here. There are already too many personal comments in this thread for my liking but pruning it too much will make it discontinuous.

Dev, Jun 22, 2010
  14. RobHolt

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

I really hope that this is just sorted out using the collective might of the forum members plus moderation when its gets to the insulting stage.

People have different viewpoints and that's half the fun of forum membership. When it's less fun is when people use harsh words like 'liar', 'idiot' etc. personal comments should be off limits IMHO. Calling into questions a members viewpoint in a non insulting way is fair game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
    flatpopely, Jun 22, 2010
  15. RobHolt

Neil

I'm not sure if guidelines are strictly necessary, although "Thou shalt not blatantly promote thine own product" may be worthwhile ;-)

I think sensible moderation should keep things in check.

Neil, Jun 22, 2010
  16. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn, Jun 23, 2010
  17. RobHolt

nando nando

in what terms? do people do not have a view on the items that are sold via manufaturers direct to them!!!!!!!!!!!!! what happens to the dealers that have the manufacturers stock but can not sell them because they can buy them cheaper direct? only one issue, manufacturer will almost say,"go to so and so" have a listenig and if you want to buy them call me and we do a deal, i know that happens i saw it.

nando, Jun 23, 2010
  18. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

It is a fact of life when your time is up your time is up, it happened to the dinosaurs as well I am afraid. It is a hard world and business is business and people are programed to take the best advantage they can within the law, and sometimes outside the law.

So bleating that the world is unfair will do you no good, if you are a survivor you will be capable of looking at the market trends and following them. The days of sitting back and waiting for customers to come to you so you can take a 50% cut are over or soon will be.

Richard Dunn, Jun 23, 2010
  19. RobHolt

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

I will start a dealer v direct tomorrow. This kind of conversation is not what this thread is about.

flatpopely, Jun 23, 2010
  20. RobHolt

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Andrew,

I'll look forward to that.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 23, 2010
Ask a Question