ZG & Trade posters - open discussion

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jun 21, 2010.

1. RobHolt

UK Duty Paid

Maybe off topic but I'm more likely to listen more closely to advice from people who have a broad taste in music - it would be of interest to know what the traders tastes are & how that colours their selection of equipment they design / market.

Me? I'm not a fan of Punk / Rap / Kraut Rock / or overly electronic / but will listen to just about anything

UK Duty Paid, Jun 24, 2010
  2. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

I suppose I listen to orchestral or essemble (so called classical) more than anything else, though I think I have everything from delta blues to hard rock to folk and jazz. The only thing I can't cope with is free jazz, it makes me feel ill, and I suppose I must admit to similar feeling for the likes of Stockhausen.

At the moment I am collecting for the quality of recording and that does lead you to some strange purchases, for instance there is a 45rpm 12 inch of BK (Burt Kaempfert) that was recorded in the 60's that is just plain astonishing. It is sold by a German Audio Mag. I have also acquired some acetates that just show what can be done when the level is not limited and you get full cut dynamics. I have some dub and dance acetates that are frighteningly good.

If I seriously listen it is always vinyl, digital in disc or computer form at the moment is a secondary source, and for me vinyl has to be an analogue recording if acoustic or orchestral or studio rock. Modern dance and dub is the only ones that digital doesn't bugger up for me. Though I keep an open mind and I am told I will finally be convinced by digital next month at a computer audio bake off at my place that Rob is comming to. Some serious gear is coming for it so I look forward to becoming a convert.

Richard Dunn, Jun 24, 2010
  3. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

I like most music with a heavy slant towards reggae and dub.

The only stuff I actively dislike is opera - I can enjoy limited exposure to it but listening to a full opera has me yawning as I just cannot connect with it.

Sound-wise I think 50s and 60s deep groove Decca can be extremely impressive and agree that 12" 45 singles can really show vinyl at its best.

RobHolt, Jun 24, 2010
  4. RobHolt

Joe

I like most music on most formats. I once said as much on a forum and got about equal flack from the vinyl fans and the digerati, both claiming the other format was unlistenable rubbish.

Joe, Jun 26, 2010
  5. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Sooooo!

Richard Dunn, Jul 1, 2010
  6. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Patience!

RobHolt, Jul 1, 2010
  7. RobHolt

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

...is a virtue, and as this is likely to be my last post (as a free man) its been lovely :eek:

flatpopely, Jul 1, 2010
  8. RobHolt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Getting married?

Purite Audio, Jul 1, 2010
  9. RobHolt

No, already done that and have 2 year old Tasmanian Devil. I was more referring to what may happen to trade posters on here :)

flatpopely, Jul 1, 2010
  10. RobHolt

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Anything but reggae for me.

sq225917, Jul 2, 2010
  11. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

There will be nothing to worry about.
    Admin and mods are looking at what people are asking for rather than following set models or just imposing something.

We should have something to post by Sunday afternoon.

RobHolt, Jul 2, 2010
  12. RobHolt

Just teasing Rob!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
    flatpopely, Jul 2, 2010
  13. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

New Trade Policy which will be added to our AUP and is effective immediately:

ZeroGain welcomes input from those in or connected with the audio industry at all levels.
    We ask that Trade members agree to the following guidelines which are designed to balance the rights of our members not being subjected to hard sell and viral marketing, while allowing the free exchange of information and advice.

- Trade members must be clearly identified as such with the 'Trade' designation appearing below their username.
    We are aware that some trade posters wish to post in a purely personal capacity and this requirement does not prevent them from doing so, but we feel it important that our members are protected from possible pressure and attempts to give advice leading to financial benefit on the part of the Trade poster.

- Trade members may participate in any discussion in any forum room, including the main audio room and may freely discuss their ideas, experience, history, ideology, markets, customer experiences and feedback. They may also freely discuss any of the above pertaining to other companies or parts of the audio industry.
    This represents a modification of the current policy and is intended to encourage greater interaction between members at all levels, without the unfortunate common assumption that Trade members are placing financial gain above altruistic intentions.
    There must be no advertising, sales activity or promotion of specific products outside of the Trade rooms.

- We provide a dedicated Trade area in which Trade members may advertise and discuss their products free of charge with all members of the forum.

- We ask Trade members to please remember that ZeroGain does not charge for these benefits and would stress that such an open policy can only work if people respect the spirit of the policy. We will withdraw these benefits if they are abused and this will be at the discretion of the site Admin team.

RobHolt, Jul 4, 2010
  14. RobHolt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I am 'trade' Mark and Andrew, are more 'rough trade'!
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jul 4, 2010
  15. RobHolt

How very dare you ;)

flatpopely, Jul 4, 2010
  16. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

My experiences at PF mean I am not the slightest bit interested in being a trade member or using a trade member section of this forum. I am an individual with an individuals opinions, my company follows those opinions not the other way around. I would have those opinions even if I didn't have a company, so that fact is completely immaterial.

I am here as an individual and will continue to post as such. Other people bring up nva not me.

Richard Dunn, Jul 4, 2010
  17. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

That's fine, so long as you realise that your posts will be moderated if there is the slightest sniff that anything you have produced in a commercial capacity is being discussed - be it initiated by you or any other poster.

It is vitally important that posters are made aware that you manufacture certain products that might come up for discussion. That is all that the 'Trade' flag here is going to indicate and nothing more. It is about transparency.
    it is also quite different to other forums where you pay a fee.

The change is for your protection because it protects you and other trade posters from accusations of viral marketing.

RobHolt, Jul 4, 2010
  18. RobHolt

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Don't drag me into it.

P.S. I don't mind one way or the other with regard to trade accounts - it wont make any difference to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
    YNMOAN, Jul 4, 2010
  19. RobHolt

I have changed my sig to show trade.

Difficult to be in the trade and comment about a particular design philosophy without bias, especially if you produce something you believe in.

Will posts be moderated if a particular philisophy and design is dismissed by a rival philosophy and design, if that viewpoint is held by someone in the trade?

"I think your cable design is flawed"

"But you would say that, you make a rival cable"

"My cable is an extension of my own thoughts on what sounds good"

Could make for interesting discussions.

flatpopely, Jul 4, 2010
  20. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Andrew,

That partly reflects the season for the change.
    Such discussions are perfectly ok IMO so long as everyone concerned is aware of the background facts regarding the poster. As I said before, it simply makes everything more transparent. So in your example, no the posts would not be moderated if the username tag is correct.

I've also changed my own username tag to fall in line with this, even though I will not be taking advantage of the benefits as that would be quite wrong.

RobHolt, Jul 4, 2010
Ask a Question