ZG & Trade posters - open discussion

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jun 21, 2010.

1. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

The thing you are completely forgeting is that to follow the retailer / distributor option then you have to double or triple the price of the product, depending on how greedy they are, to provide them with their slurp.

Richard Dunn, Jul 7, 2010
  2. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

By adding 30% to the price for a distributor, who then puts 50% on that price for the retailer :rolleyes: That would be the model for export, for UK you normally don't use distributors but supply direct to the retailers, still a doubling of the price.

Now there is another model adopted by some manufacturers, they price the end price of the product to cater for retailers and then promote direct sales and offer good discounts. Well of course they can do this because they have an extra 40 to 50% to play with compared with my model which is to sell to *everyone* at trade price.

3. RobHolt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

But if you sell through Ebay, why would anyone buy from a dealer/distributor at a 50% premium?
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jul 7, 2010
  4. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

AUP has been updated so that puts the official part of this thread and the process firmly to bed. The AUP can be accessed at the bottom of the screen page.

You can of course continue to discuss your different sales models and views on the industry.

RobHolt, Jul 7, 2010
  5. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Obviously they wouldn't, which is why I sell direct and the customer gets a product for less than half the price he would have if it was sold by a retailer.

This is not rocket science, it is very simple. Ah! I think I know what you are getting at, they probably presumed I had set my retail to include a retail margin as some manufacturers do and had just started off by selling direct at ebay but really wanted some retailers.

Yes there are people who do this. A recent case I noted was a direct accessory (mostly turntable bits) supplier who sells direct on ebay produced a turntable, he sold it direct with a retailer margin, which he took for himself, but now is trying to put it in retailers, I think a couple have taken it. SRM (Stuart Robert Michell). A very good turntable by the way, probably the only current belt drive I could live with. All acrylic (good material :D) fabricated by the same company that does my cases.

I can understand to a degree as an unknown manufacturer with an unknown design, with a couple of good reviews, but has to sell by word of mouth, very difficult. BUT in my opinion he should have stuck with it and earned his reputation (it takes time). I think the retailers will just screw him, they wont promote it, and probably wont pay for it, so he is back where he started. This is the way the industry has been set up, so the big boys can see off any new product or competition, it has been a near closed shop industry for many many years and only now are we breaking out of it.

6. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Looks fine, BUT I hope you realise that your disclaimer will not stand up in a court of law. You may say you are not the publisher, but unless you can provide the details of who the publisher is then the site owner will be deemed to be the publisher disclaimer or no disclaimer.

7. RobHolt

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

Could we add that quoting PMs and emails from people is forbidden without the originators permission.

You might be in trouble (or more correctly the ISP, who could be forced to not host the site) if someone posts a PM (private message) or email (not viewable on the forum) without the express permission of the originator.

flatpopely, Jul 7, 2010
  8. RobHolt

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I think I will pass on that particular option; it's all a bit tedious and has been discussed, to death, many times in the past on various forums.

Ultimately it is like discussing the World Cup; no amount of discussion, down the pub, is going to influence the actual outcome. The difference being that, in this case, discussion of this particular 'issue', for the sake of it, isn't particularly interesting.

Night all - sweet dreams.

YNMOAN, Jul 7, 2010
  9. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Sounds reasonable Andrew, we'll get something added.

RobHolt, Jul 7, 2010
  10. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

I'm not sure I fully understand your point Andrew. Are you saying that if someone sends you an abusive PM/email you would NOT want to forward it on to someone who may be able to help?

Dev, Jul 7, 2010
  11. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Dev, I took it to mean one poster displaying the PMs and private emails of another on the open forum without their permission.

RobHolt, Jul 7, 2010
  12. RobHolt

Rob you are correct. Some ISPs have strict rules regarding the posting of emails and PMs on a forum as in some countries its a breach of copyright and the ISP as the 'host' of this breach can be liable.

flatpopely, Jul 7, 2010
  13. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

I know, that's one side, but PMs can be used to agree a sale so in any dispute may prove useful. Of course it may just be spam etc. Perhaps we need a proper discussion (offline) on this.

Dev, Jul 7, 2010
  14. RobHolt

Dev, the clue is in the title, its a Private Message. With the consent of both sides you could view the PM history. Or you could state in the FAQs that MODs have access to PMs, that would cover it.

flatpopely, Jul 7, 2010
  15. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

Hi Andrew I know what you mean. It is frowned upon but perhaps we should formalise it.

BTW, the mods can't see anyone else's PM/emails.

Dev, Jul 7, 2010
  16. RobHolt

In certain countries the copyright of PMs, emails etc. resides with the author and may not be published without the authors permission. Posts on a thread, such as my one here, are by their nature in the public domain and not subject to the same rules.

I'm no lawyer so it might be best to contact your ISP for their rules.

I just think its bad form to publish PMs, emails or any other means of communication where one would normally assume it's a one to one, i.e. private, conversation.

flatpopely, Jul 7, 2010
  17. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Do you know what this is about. Well a while back I mentioned here the threatening emails I had from him, well I published them publically on Subjectivist, as I did Marco's threatening emails as well. Of course Flatty threatened to report me to the forum host, who it turned out couldn't give a toss.

I am afraid if someone is abusive and threatening in private mail then they deserve it to be made public, but I wouldn't do it here, I would do it at Subjectivist.

18. RobHolt

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Fortunately in the UK, if someone sends you an electronic message, unless you've signed a legally binding NDA you can post it wherever you like, and there's no liability.

I'd suggest if you don't want people to post your PM's on open forum then you shouldn't write them emails or PM's with content that you are likely to be upset at other people seeing.

I'd certainly post a PM from someone who was acting like a prick towards me, and would expect no less a shaming were I doing the same.

Simon

ps the reason i know this is because the web forum that i administer for the company i work for is hosted in the UK. .

sq225917, Jul 8, 2010
  19. RobHolt

Whatever the rules Si (and I think you may be in error) publishing PRIVATE MESSAGES and Emails is just piss poor. It shows a lack of respect and social skills. Those that live by the sword die by the sword.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
    flatpopely, Jul 8, 2010
  20. RobHolt

UK Duty Paid

Can you guys draw a line under it please?

UK Duty Paid, Jul 8, 2010
Ask a Question