ZG & Trade posters - open discussion

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jun 21, 2010.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Well said.

RobHolt, Jul 8, 2010
  2. RobHolt

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

I for my part do not respond or mention names. I offered an olive branch but it was not taken. What more would you have me do?

flatpopely, Jul 8, 2010
  3. RobHolt

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Personally, I always treat PM messages as private (although I realise one is not obliged to). I have had a PM of mine posted in the past, nothing very revealing, in fact it essentially said 'sorry I don't wish to discuss the topic on line as doing so is only likely to be inflame the situation'. This, in itself, was obviously inflammatory enough to warrant the OP to post it on line; I did think this was poor form though and it was shortly deleted.

YNMOAN, Jul 8, 2010
  4. RobHolt

Fnuckle Trade

Move on. Ignore the other person. Be the grown up, rather than try to childishly score points for the sake of point-scoring.

Fnuckle, Jul 8, 2010
  5. RobHolt

Mescalito

Where are the personal attacks in the post, Richard?

You obviously do not know what ad hominem means. Fact.

You have, over the years been banned from most of the major fora. Fact.

With regard to not having heard NVA kit, I very nearly bought one of your power amp/pre amp combinations back in the mid '80's. I had them on home demo for a couple of weeks. Very, very nice sounding kit, but aesthetically naff, and a tad too "hair shirt" for my taste. I bought a Meridian 101/105 setup instead. Sounded just as good and a true design classic.

And Richard, I was actually around back in the day. NVA were one of the better "me too" products competing with Naim which sprung up at the time to take advantage of the Ivor/Julian bandwagon.

And as for not liking rampant subjectivist foo being talked about, I have no objection at all. Just don't expect a totally smooth ride. If you don't want opposing views, restrict youself to the Subjectivist forum.

You maintain that the thing which has brought the hobby and the industry to it's knees are "slurpers". The black magic aspects propounded by the likes of yourself, Russ Andrews et al have had an equally pernicious effect. People sticking a toe into the waters of decent Hi Fi see the hi fi equivalent of astrology and back off fast. Normal people can spot frootloopery at 100 yards, and steer clear of it.

Anyway, back to the topic. Are you now going to abide by the amended forum rules and append "Trade" to your signature so that people who do not know you can factor this in when reading your opinions and advice?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
    Mescalito, Jul 8, 2010
  6. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Chis,

Richard has added 'trade' to his sig so all is well on that score.

RobHolt, Jul 8, 2010
  7. RobHolt

Mescalito

Right, Rob,

That's me out of here then.

Chris

Mescalito, Jul 8, 2010
  8. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

From post #88 on 5th July 2010, 22:04 :rolleyes:

My concession to rebellion is the trade refered to is the muppet character Dr Bunsen Honeydew at Muppet Labs, but if that makes everyone shut up then so be it, but what ever it says there it wont change me or my posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
    Richard Dunn, Jul 8, 2010
  9. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Admin regard you as trade and if that designation sits beneath your sig there is no more to say.

What else you add there is entirely up to you.

RobHolt, Jul 8, 2010
  10. RobHolt

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Come on guys there's nothing bad form about posting threatening or offensive PM's from other posters on open forum. Posting personal details about private matters, yup, that's bad form, but if for example someone was threatening to come round my house and put my windows in via PM, i'd rightly expose them.

Andrew, I suggest you get your own legal advice regarding the publication of correspondence between individuals if it concerns you that much. What do I know, we only have legal counsel in Europe, the UK and the US, and It's my direct responsibility to ensure we stay the right side of the law vis a vis our internet forum and all corporate communications.

sq225917, Jul 8, 2010
  11. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

The PM (or "Private" message) is intended to be a discussion between members not considered suitable for general publication. For example if I hold a bake-off and send anyone my address etc. I rightly shouldn't expect that to appear on the main forum. However if I'm threatened by someone via a PM I should be able to forward that to the moderation team. I'd still not like to see the PM in the main forum because it is a private argument.

Dev, Jul 8, 2010
  12. RobHolt

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I guess it's different opinions and viewpoints. I've never report a post to the mods, if someone is being a dick I'd just shame them publicly.. horses for courses.

sq225917, Jul 8, 2010
  13. RobHolt

UK Duty Paid

A while back on another forum I received a few pms from a person rubbishing another. Basically backdoor politics at play. I told the PMmer that I didn't play those games & got a mouthfull back for being holier than thou. I have little doubt he then went on to use the same back door technique on me.

The more this goes on the less the forum benefits. In my case I left that forum for around a year having been pissed off with the attitudes of a few posters.

I don't think there is a conspiracy around every corner but I think any form of bullying or threatening behaviour should not be tolerated. How a person chooses to handle it is up to them but the most straightforward is to embarrass them.

UK Duty Paid, Jul 8, 2010
  14. RobHolt

Dave Simpson Plywood King

Agreed. I find this entire issue ludicrous personally. What's the worst that can happen? If anyone buys something based blindly on another's recommendation and without checking the maker's return policy first, they get what they deserve.

Most here probably don't give a crap about a shill appearing on these forums as they are easy to spot, ignored or attacked if bothersome and easily delt with over a period of time by the mods if they insist on returning (see Tony L@ PFM for how to deal with this.)

Sorry but this whole episode reminds me of other situations in business where one individual with an unimportant 'problem' creates unnecessary work for others just to accomodate his whine.

regards,

dave

Dave Simpson, Jul 9, 2010
Ask a Question