£100 to spend

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gaffer74, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Gaffer74

Gaffer74

Thanx everyone.
    It looks like it'll be possible but very difficult getting anything decent for only £100 :( .
    I'm also thinking that if I end up loving vinyl, I'll regret not spending a bit more later on (and actually end up losing in the long run when upgrading later on).

I'm thinking of a Dual 505 for about £50-70 (lots at hifitradingstation.co.uk) and then buying a decent phono stage for the remainder. Are Dual any good, who are they?

Also in view of your comments, I've found this:

Linn Axis TT (In good condition), with a Linn Basic arm and an Ortofon OC7 cartridge (dunno if this is MM or MC)

all for £195......a bit over budget but if you all think it's good, I might take the plunge

...........still would need a phono stage, and PrimaLuna do an add on stage that is soldered to one of the line ins inside my amp, so as it's diy may be cheaper but still sound good??
    Alternatively, make do with a cheapo £10 maplin phono stage until I can buy a better one (as you can guess from my kit, I love valves and would prefer a phono stage that's all aglow :D )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
    Gaffer74, Sep 15, 2005
  2. Gaffer74

lordsummit moderate mod

If you're going to spend £200 you can do better. You'll get a Rega for that money. The dual's ok, I'd still have the Pioneer though, it might not sound glamourous but it sounds nice. It was the poor mans Sondek when it came out. It's a stunningly well made and engineered thing for the peanuts you'll pay for it. The Cambridge Phono Stage at £40 seems to be very well received. So if I were you I wouldn't stint there, I'd get one of those. How much else you want to spend depends on what you can really afford

lordsummit, Sep 15, 2005
  3. Gaffer74

DavidY80 Long Member

Gaffer,

I wasn't joking about the STD, it's in the ads section here. But if that's not your cup of tea, Lordsummit's advice is sound. I think I'd go for the Rega 3 if for no other reason than it will be easy to sell on if you don't get on with vinyl and you won't lose any money.

DavidY80, Sep 15, 2005
Ask a Question