£500 speaker?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by leonard smalls, Jan 14, 2005.

1. leonard smalls

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

oh? what is it mate?

bottleneck, Jan 17, 2005
  2. leonard smalls

ListeningEar

...best of luck with the 'vintage', I hope it's a good one! :rolleyes:

I still think that it's a waste of money buying vintage (IMHO), technology has moved on so far with driver and everything else speaker related that I firmly believe the vintage equipment is purely for the collectors and the 'they don't make things like they used to' brigade.

Having owned vintage speakers myself, they can be extremely expensive to recondition which in most cases they need considering their age, which again is throwing good money on ancient kit.

But hey, if it works for you and it ticks all your boxes then great, we can still all enjoy the music!

ListeningEar, Jan 18, 2005
  3. leonard smalls

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jan 18, 2005
  4. leonard smalls

michaelab desafinado

That's roughly the size of my room...mine might even be a tad larger :eek:

I've gradually become resigned to the idea that deep bass is simply not something I'm going to have in that room unless I get some seriously BIG speakers. I still want to audition the Totem Mani-2s in my room just to confirm the theory. I've heard them do bass that has you looking for where the subwoofer is placed :eek: so if they can't do that in my room then it's got to be big cones.

I was quite gutted actually the other night at a friends house in his much smaller room hearing his small Sonus Faber Concertos driven by a Jadis 40W valve amp delivering the kind of bass I can only dream of in my room :cry: .

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 18, 2005
  5. leonard smalls

ListeningEar

...there are a couple of Von Schweikert VR-S/3 subwoofer's for sale on Audiogon at the moment, someone is selling a pair! This is very rare, these things hardly come up (I own one myself), and even though it's a 12" cone it is the faster sub I've ever heard, it easily keeps timing with my stand mount monitors.
    The pair on Audiogon are very cheap too ;)
    The great thing is that the amplifier can be used both on US and UK ac mains supply, the only thing you need to do is change the fuse in the amp when switching over to UK supply (5a quick blow type I think).
    I have always owned large floor-standers but this is the first time I have ever opted for monitors with a sub,...glorious detail and very deep bass when required.

ListeningEar, Jan 18, 2005
  6. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Found a pair of Ditton 66 series 1...
    Which I know will be a great speaker as I wouldn't change mine (though mine are series 2) for owt less than a pair of JBL K2s.
    Also found a pair of Impulse H4s - might be an eenie meenie minie mo job, for my m8 at least. I know which ones I'd have!

leonard smalls, Jan 22, 2005
Ask a Question