A few questions regarding DVD recorders

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HenryT, Jul 31, 2005.

1. HenryT

HenryT

OK, I can do 7 quid, no an issue. Haven't a clue where Richers is in Plymouth though and you're not around this weekend... ;)

HenryT, Aug 10, 2005
  2. HenryT

HenryT

The JVC was sent packing in the end and I made the trip down to Plymouth to pick up an ex-dem Toshiba DR1 from Richer Sounds.

The playback quality on ordinary DVDs on the Tosh at least seems to be on a par with my resident 5 year old Pioneer DVL-919 player, a contest I'm afraid the JVC failed miserably at.

The Tosh does have a case fan but also unlike the JVC it doesn't carry on spinning when you put the unit into standby. :)

Not tried any recording yet, but I'd be surprised if it disapponted seeing as the rest of machine so far appears so well thought out... and it looks a lot more than the £140 I paid for it to boot.

Thanks for the heads up on this one Julian. :beer:

HenryT, Aug 15, 2005
  3. HenryT

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Dont listen to those DVD luddites - get sky+ - you wont regret it.

You can turn off the review buffer (sky+ defaults to recording the last 30 mins of any channel you are watching).

In the main all you are hearing is fan noise - DVD recorder disc wind noise is louder IMO. You could always upgrade the fan in the sky+ box if it was too loud.

series link is a godsend - very few worthwhile channels dont support it (toonami being my fave, but I do have a geekish fetish for batman and justice league cartoons:))

dvd recorders will work with sky+, you could get both - use the dvd for archive purposes.

dont let anyone tell you that a pace is better than a thomson or an amstrad - they are all pretty close but you will hear horror stories from bad experiences. Acoustics can also vary, but thats across the board. On the whole, sky+ is quiet enough.

//lamboy

lAmBoY, Aug 15, 2005
  4. HenryT

julian2002 Muper Soderator

lamboy,
    i have ntl so no pvr solution for me (otherwise i'd have it).

heny,
    you're welcome for the heads up, glad you like it so far. i didn;t even realise that the tosh had a fan :)

julian2002, Aug 15, 2005
  5. HenryT

The NTL PVR will be with you soon ;) From what I hear it could be pretty special too.

lAmBoY, Aug 15, 2005
  6. HenryT

HenryT

I'd imagine most people mistake the fan noise for transport mech noise on the DR1. The transport mech / disc wind noise is very low on this machine, the fan is louder but still nicely quiet on the example that I have.

Done a quick test recording earlier on to a DVD-RAM and all was well. Will have to figure out how the edit functions works next as I never got the proper full manual, only have the "quick start guide" but have managed to suss most things so far.

Not too worried about PVR just yet. I have cable at home too (Telewest), but would sooner get freeview but we don't have transmitter coverage in our area yet. I don't watch most of the extra channels even on the intermediate level channel package that I currently have, only have it as it just so happens to be free for the first 6 months as I've just moved house so have gained it as a new customer benefit (even though I was previous customer at my old house).

HenryT, Aug 15, 2005
  7. HenryT

Sid and Coke

Recording onto a PC DVD-R

Any body know if it is possible to record from my Sky+ (V2) box to the DVD recorder in my computer. There are a few things that i would have liked to keep off Sky+ but have had to bin them. I could record onto VCR via scart but rarely use my video these days and have been thinking of relegating it to another room in the house, or even the loft.
    It seems such a waste to have a prefectly good DVD burner on my PC that has seen hardly any use since i bought it last year.

(Sorry for the hi-jack Henry but i thought it that it was kinda related to your original question :) ).

Sid and Coke, Aug 15, 2005
  8. HenryT

you may need a video capture card and record on the fly - there may be some TV cards that feature analogue inputs, but I suspect quality may not be so good.

Take a gander at the digital spy forums, this has been covered a few times here iirc.

rgds //lamboy

lAmBoY, Aug 16, 2005
Ask a Question