A variation on "floorstanders or standmounts"

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Sir Galahad, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Sir Galahad

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

And as I said, I sometimes feel the sound is a bit "lost" in space, not "filling" enough. But this is not easy to put in words.

The solution for your problem will be difficult money- and size-wise. You need more cone area, which means bigger drivers in bigger speakers. At least a 10", better 12" bass driver with a 4 or 6" midrange.

Yes, large movements of air are what you need with a room of that size – even when listening at moderate volume IMO

The room seems devoid of soft furnishings which wont help that ‘’lost in space’’ feel also.

The point about getting the speakers isolated is a good idea too I think.

bottleneck, Nov 16, 2004
  2. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

Thanks to all for the input.

For a start I'll isolate the speakers.

Then I'll kick my son out, and then we can move to a smaller place. :)

Sir Galahad, Nov 16, 2004
  3. Sir Galahad

Coda II getting there slowly

Morning all, new here but will do introductions elsewhere.
    PMC got a mention earlier, I do like mine but as they are the smallest in the range not relevant here.
    Just wanted to pick up on a point to do with 'room filling' sound in a classical context. Do people mean room filling in the sense of big, immersive, loose yourself in it sound as opposed to a sound which has definate presence ?
    Just to come back to the cello mentioned earlier: I was at a cello recital in an old London church (big space), the sound did not fill the space in the way that say a choir singing Allegri would have done, but there was a tangible, large presence about the sound none the less, I'm sure some of this is to do with 'felt' as opposed to 'heard' sound. The depth and sonority were in no way dwarfed by the space, it did not sound small or lost. In an orchestral context the cello is by no means a loud instrument but it does have an undeniable stature.
    From a playback point of view is this just about moving more air ? (I know 'detail' has been done to death here) or are there other factors at work ?
    I don't get to hear a great number of speakers but recently heard some Duevel which actually presented sound in a way I hadn't heard before, didn't have long enough to figure out if it's a good way to go but made me want to hear more.

Coda II, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

True, we don't have that much soft furnishings, which is the reason why we included 2 large (5 x 4 m) carpets. Nothing to do with music playing at the time. Just that the room had too much echo in it. And we have 3 large couches but not much else. The curtains are light French linen. Heavy drapes would be better, but would not match the rest of the decor. And all this glass sure does not help.

I guess you can't win them all.

Sir Galahad, Nov 17, 2004
Ask a Question