amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ellisonwales, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ellisonwales

Tenson Moderator

In my experience valve amps are generally warmer sounding so they may be what you are looking for and DEFFINATLY worth a listen.

I had a KT88 valve amp (Cayin A-88T) and although it was great for softer music, for rock, nu-metal and the like it wasn't quite up to the job IMO. I could hear the distortion I think. If I pushed up the volume it sounded LOUD even when I knew it wasn't all that loud. You may be fine with that though, I think I am very sensitive to distortion of whatever kind that was as my preference has turned out to be active studio monitors with a valve pre-amp.

Of course if you want bass from a standmount speaker maybe you should be getting yourself a pair of PMC's or I believe Medowlark make a standmount as well. I know you just got the Epos' but still?

Has anyone tried Gunniess with blackcurrent juice? Its kind of funky!

Tenson, Mar 29, 2005
  2. ellisonwales

Donut

MF X80 for £399 - well worth a listen :D
    Donut

Donut, Mar 30, 2005
  3. ellisonwales

kane

you can get an mf x-80 for £229 at www.lintone.co.uk
    not bad for a £600 amp :cool:

kane

kane, Mar 30, 2005
  4. ellisonwales

lordsummit moderate mod

I've got the 34-A AT.
    If anyones worried about lack of bass you wouldn't with this amp. It doesn't do stunt bass, just what should be there. It's not as lumpy as my Naims were for a start. It's tons easier to listen to, in fact I tend to listen much quieter now, as everything sounds much realer, I don't need the volume to compensate for what isn't being reproduced. Recordings I thought were bad now sound much better. Good recordings sound much better.
    For me it the difference is highlighted by the way I want to listen to music much more. It would not occur to me to listen to separation or decay etc, but just the music. A huge improvement this.
    I listen to both classical and rock, and with everything the valves sounded better to me. I was listening the other day to a Prince album, and there was definitely an impressive amount of thwack (copyright WM) that I could only attribute to the valve amp, as I've never heard it before.
    Where are you Ellison, anywhere near Manchester? If you are you're welcome to a listen.

lordsummit, Mar 30, 2005
  5. ellisonwales

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It sounds pretty good, I might one day consider getting a valve amp especialy as I listen to a lot of vinyl stuff. I might get fed up the transistor harshness some time.

How long to valve amps take to warm up? I also assume you need a lot space to operate them in because of the heat.

amazingtrade, Mar 30, 2005
  6. ellisonwales

Tenson Moderator

Just a quick point... I leave my valve pre-amp on 24/7 and it doesn't seem to be wearing out yet after about 1 year! I am beginning to think valves ware out much more from power on and off, likely the expansion and contraction of the metal inside them.

I remember my dad telling me the BBC updated one of their radio transmitters a while back and found a big bit of valve gear in there which had been operating for 20 years and was still going strong!

Tenson, Mar 30, 2005
  7. ellisonwales

lordsummit moderate mod

Mine takes about 10-15 minutes to sound good, and then a bit longer to sound great. I turn it off partly to save the valves as conventional wisdom states, but also to save on electric.

lordsummit, Mar 31, 2005
Ask a Question