Anyone had sucess with using DVD player as transport?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by angi73, Sep 21, 2004.

1. angi73

Mr_Sukebe

I'm using a 575 with a NOS DAC.
    Sounds pretty good as is, though I do get the impression that it would be better with a dedicated transport.
    If/when I have the funds, I'll be looking around more seriously.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 25, 2005
  2. angi73

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Well, you've answered your own question there!! Of course the 565 is going to sound shite through budget optical cable!

Also, the CD8x + PSXR is about £1200, no? That's a very, very expensive cd transport!

I'm a big fan of budget dvd > dac combos. I'm particularly fond of the 565, which I run into a DAC20 (with excellent results).

For £130 you're getting a sub-150ps average jitter transport that also happens to sound pretty damn good in its own right.

It also plays DVDA & SACD to a high standard. Also, the 565 is whisper quiet and never refused to play a disc, ever!

For the money, there is no better transport available. Period.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jul 26, 2005
  3. angi73

JohnD76

I have just swapped the cheap Toslink for the Chord Signature Digital and guess what...

It still sounds emotionless and missing so much detail, still a big step down in quality. :(

I wish it was that easy, since I could free up some serious cash for other upgrades by selling the CD8X and PXSR, but you tend to get what you pay for unfortunately.

The review of the new Townsend TA 565 CD does mention that the unit is "based on pioneer DV565A player, heavily modified and upgraded".

Since the price is £3000 and based on £150 dvd player, I think you will agree that "Heavily modified and Upgraded " is most likely very accurate.

It is a good transport, for the price, particularly considering the universal playing ability, but in my opinion you can do far better by audtioning other transports and yes you may need to spend more money but MY GOD is it worth it.

Once the CD8x is back the 565A will be used for DVD's solely once more, until I get any SACD or DVD-A's that is..... :D

JohnD76, Jul 26, 2005
  4. angi73

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Well, for £1200 + £150 for the chord digital cable, I think I'll happily make do with the "emotionless and undetailed" sound of my 565, thank you!

(BTW it might be worth mentioning that my 565 sits on foculpods, on top of an 8kg marble platform with spike & cup isolation. This is probably giving it a helping hand in the sound department!)

Also, I am aware that the stock 565 is a world away from the TA-565 - for £3k I'd expect it to be!!

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jul 29, 2005
  5. angi73

wolfgang

Since my Tag transport got sick I decided I might just as well took the opportunity to buy one of the lastest and newest generation of DVD players to see how if things has moved on in the AV world in the past few years. Almost bought a Teac but put off by WM finding that for such a highly price player and still needed invasive surgery to improve its ability to play tunes just doesn't sound right. One do hope they would have everything sorted if they are trying to sale a player approaching the price of a car.

So in the end bought a low cost Chinese BBK Electronics player, still US$200 is not very cheap and comes with an unpromising name of Oppo.

I can't do any AB comparison since my older player is still not back. Never the less, after a few weeks in isolation I think it is actually pretty good both as a DVD/CD transport when paired with the Tag AV processor. Well actually more like extremely convincing and amazing music maker. Maybe I am beyond help and 'blind' by many of this claims that all digital transports are all actually the same.

wolfgang, Jul 29, 2005
Ask a Question