Baker HB7 Amp Modules

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Labarum, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Labarum

RobHolt Moderator

Thanks for compliment, Brian.

Several key things to consider:

- Selling direct or via a dealer.

- Cost of materials

- Demand

Direct does of course maximise the return, but as other small companies have discovered, without an active dealer and distribution channel demand slows to a trickle once you've sold a dozen amps to the forum(s) faithful.

In terms of materials cost this sort of amp can be built for about £200, add in the associated build costs/time and a reasonable return and you're looking at about £500 as a bare minimum end price. A small margin is fine if a company is producing hundreds of amplifiers but realistically a small outfit will be looking at a handful per month.

Go with a distributer and dealer and this price climbs north of £800 - Quad , Cyrus, Audiolab territory.

Now of course there is another option, and that's to do what much of the hi-fi industry does and simply be dishonest. Fill the product with boutique components, use an exceptionally nice case, spin some tosh around 'special' circuit topology and claim it's a new wonder amp that redefines a sector.
    But it isn't and amplifier technology matured decades ago - and that's not something I'm happy to consider doing.

The one thing I might consider is a made to order amp - that at least introduces a bespoke element which is missing from the larger audio companies.

No reason why a current dumping circuit can't work on a switching supply :)

Loudspeakers are a different matter. Still difficult for the small fish to break through but at least you've more opportunity to be distinctive with design and can genuinely offer something different.

RobHolt, Oct 14, 2013
  2. Labarum

DSJR

I think I'd be happy with a 2U height case that is 'full-width,' with the option of one or two transformers/power supplies.

As for neat wiring, a bit of an 'anal issue' here with NVA amps, which sort-of take the minimal distance from board to socket and who cares how horrible it looks? I must admit to wishing for a half-way house on this one, keeping power lines well away from small signal areas and routing neatly without compromising noise or separation..

How easy is it to cut into blank casework to mount the amp modules? Holes for screws and sockets I can just about deal with, but rectanges/squares I'm very bad at :(

DSJR, Oct 14, 2013
  3. Labarum

Tenson Moderator

Cases which come with a IEC socket already mounted make life far easier. Most other parts like sockets and switches can be found with round holes that a drill can make neatly.

Tenson, Oct 14, 2013
Ask a Question