Best and worst dacs.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jimbo, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Jimbo

Class A

Class A, Jul 5, 2008
  2. Jimbo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The blue light is step in the right direction, however there is more to come without a doubt.

wadia-miester, Jul 5, 2008
  3. Jimbo

Class A

Yes WM....there will be some very interesting things in the coming 12 months or so....Even PS audio will have their all singing dacing transport and Boulder currently with their new front end.:D

Class A, Jul 5, 2008
  4. Jimbo

lbr monkey boy

That's interesting. I had one for a while and provided the delay toggle switch thingy on the back was left on maximum delay I found very little, if any, difference between transports on this particular DAC. Have noticed big differences on other DACs though.

Until Chord decided to release the Mk2 version and a matching transport, IIRC part of their own marketing played on the claimed insensitivity to transport exactly because of the delay toggle switch thingy. Not sure what happened to that logic with the arrival of the Blu.

lbr, Jul 5, 2008
  5. Jimbo

FrankDeckard

$5,000 for just the server is a joke.

Even more so for one using Vista.

This is why audiophiles are suckers to a degree. Why would you pay $5,000 for just the music server (which also seems to require NAS)?????

I bought a 24" iMac with 500GB of internal HD space, 4 GB of memory, a 1TB LaCie firewire drive, and a tubed USB DAC for less money.

Not only do I have a reliable OS (Vista is awful), but the iTunes interface works just fine.

I think that when VRS launched its music server a few years back at CES, everybody started to think with $$$ in their head rather than build a really stable music server.

Crap like this makes me want to find a used CDS3 or 861.

FrankDeckard, Jul 5, 2008
  6. Jimbo

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Simon ( sq ) recommended 'Millenium Music' to me, I have ordered a dedicated 'audio' pc from them, I did speak at length both to Mike Ritter ( ex Pacific Microsonics ) and Mike Stahl ( Stahl-Tek ) regarding an ideal pc solution, both recommended XP rather than vista, a really good soundcard to provide a really low jitter signal, I am using a Lynx with ASIO drvers to bypass the OS soundcore , then out to the DAC , It arrives this week, so I shall post something , the guys in the US seem to believe that a ripped cd should sound better from the hard disc than from the original cd! We shall see.

Purite Audio, Jul 5, 2008
  7. Jimbo

Class A

IMO, a high resolution download will ultimately sound better if it is converted then burnt to a disc and play through a top notch CD player. I can see where all this is going but I still enjoy a great recording for redbook.

BTW, Transport quality do make a big difference even with a great Dac. Those who say doesn't are just lying to themselves, can't afford one or should have a hearing test. :p

Class A, Jul 5, 2008
  8. Jimbo

Class 'A',

I recently ran a highly upgraded P-01 against a new signal transmission device, even in red book it really did paste the Esoteric, scary but true!
    Hence it now residing in the bedroom system!

wadia-miester, Jul 5, 2008
  9. Jimbo

Class A

WM,

In that case, I love to hear your transmission device.....wanna sell the P-01??

I'm in need of a replacement front end....any suggestions?.

Class A, Jul 5, 2008
  10. Jimbo

Dave Hi btw John rang and wants me to bring the Stahl Tek around ( and my cheap transport ) to compare to his 5 box Esoteric, could you bring the Weiss? Regards Keith.

Purite Audio, Jul 5, 2008
  11. Jimbo

Class A

Keith,

I knew about the Stahl Tek dac way back as I know David from weinhart design in the states. It was me who asked John to call you yesterday. Still need a pre amp though to hook up your setup as none of us own one. Glad to bring my Weiss combo if I still have it.

Class A, Jul 6, 2008
  12. Jimbo

In the case of all these fine pieces of equipment it is the implimentation of said equipment and synergy between the rest of the systems.
    Hearing different systems and intergration of these components is quite interesting and how other components 'stamp their' sound on the reproduced sound. Influencing the true sound of front end end/speakers.

Dave,
    The signal tranference technology will be available to the public commerically within 6 months (however audio is a small part of its ability). The technology may appear in other areas first I suspect, maybe in even your field too!
    If you are interested in accquiring a class leading front end, please do give me a call on Monday.
    Have a good night guys

wadia-miester, Jul 6, 2008
  13. Jimbo

shrink

well, i must say i was also dissapointed by the Chord dac 64, finding it to sound etched and hard, almost like the musical equivalent of oversharpening a photo, to the point of ruining the artistic message. Too much leading edge.

Im also not a fan of the benchmark, i have never been able to see what all the hype was about.

As for dac's i have enjoyed, the bel canto dac3 did pretty well, as did my last cyrus dacX which bass weight aside, was very close in overall character to the dac3, and certainly could keep up in resolution terms.

The dax decade is a superb bit of kit, and some of the smoothest digital i had ever heard... until...

My mate bought a brand new marantz SA-7S1, which bar none, is simply the best CD playing machine i have EVER heard, it is head and shoulders above anything i have heard.

In fact a short while ago, i was listening to some music played back through my friends DAC as built into his accuphase integrated, and thought it sounded just fine, certainly as good as any other stand alone DAC ive heard. Then playing the same track on the marantz totally crucified it.

I would place the marantz well ahead of the dax decade, and as i say, ahead of any other digital playback system i have heard to date.

shrink, Jul 6, 2008
  14. Jimbo

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Anyone else heard the marantz SA-7S1???

larkrise, Jul 6, 2008
  15. Jimbo

David, Class-A , John and I will try and get together for a grand dac bake off, David uses the Weiss combo, John has a five box Esoteric and I will take along the Stal-Tek Vekian, should be interesting, I will have to bring a pre-amp won't I David as you guys don't use one! Keith.

Purite Audio, Jul 6, 2008
  16. Jimbo

Keith,
    Very suprised you guys are not using pre-amps, every time I use a the Big Eso kit and the Weiss always sound more complete and music to my ears with a more in the way.
    Mind you the same can be said of Wadia too.
    Lawrence,

The SA-7S1, is a nice piece of kit, a more rounded and softer sound than the X-03se, about the same in performance, one is more incisive, greater presence and greater detail and superior bass. The other has a more liquid sound, fuller and imho better upper frequency reproduction. Build quality on the Marantz not quiet as good as you would expect.
    A very good player without question.

17. Jimbo

Class A

WM,

The Weiss is great as is. Tried a pre and only made it sound different, not better IMO. Played arround with isolation, pwr cords and digital cables got me a much better result.

The Marantz is good but I much prefer the new Accuphase DP-500 or even the DP-700 with their own new transport and new pre section. Bonus built like a tank.

Class A, Jul 6, 2008
  18. Jimbo

Class A

Keith,

You will have to bring a pre along.
    LESS IS MORE in my opinion. Wadia's going direct cannot be compared to the Weiss nor Esoteric.

Class A, Jul 6, 2008
  19. Jimbo

shrink

Not sure you've been using the same marantz ive seen. Its a 25 kilo beast with a solid copper chassis and a drawer you could park your car on lol.

Ive been nothing but impressed with the build quality of it. Thats in direct comparison to some accuphase kit, which although well build, is not quite as nicely finished.

In any case im inclined to agree that it has a fairly liquid sound with an incredibly well controlled top end. It can rock though, its just not as hard sounding as some players.

shrink, Jul 6, 2008
  20. Jimbo

David,

Our Weiss combo (the newer version like yours with single 176/192khz inputs) sounds a lot more complete, musical and real with a quality pre-amp, as does the Eso and the Wadia.
    Have you heard the new Decoding computer and separate dac's at all, it is very good, not sure about the pricing though.
    Anyway, your findings I suspect will be different, we are not restricted to just one or two pieces of equipment in turn.
    However it does not stop the fun of finding out and meeting up with like minded folk!
    Shrink,

The Marantz is the same unit, it is big and heavy though dig a little deeper and its not quite there.
    A good player though, we have a trade unit currently, great for the Living voice obx appreciation society, a good match helps smooth out the cabinet colorations and interesting bass characteristics. really does make a good combo.
    If your in the market for a £5K player, should be on your audition list

Ask a Question