Best mm phono stage for £200?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dos, May 26, 2008.

1. dos

nando nando

i still think that the musical fidelity x-lps is super at a price, caters for all m.m. and mc's.
    nando

nando, May 30, 2008
  2. dos

lordsummit moderate mod

Hope it's better than the X-LP, that was possibly the worst and most boring phono stage I ever heard.

If the Cambridge sounds better, then stick with it. If you want real and significant improvement however then look to something like the Dynavector that you can match exactly to the rather unique demands of your cart.

lordsummit, Jun 1, 2008
  3. dos

dos

thks lordsummit, i'll have a play around and maybe look for a dynavector later on (i almost got one on ebay a few months ago but it went for a lot more than £200).

dos, Jun 1, 2008
  4. dos

robM

I agree with the Lord.
    The 640 and 650 need slight 'modifying' to get the 10x5 to work properly. I for one am not a great fan of the 640p no matter what anyone says. I used one for a while (no thanks to the over rated reviews) and found it to be VERY limited in what you can and can't use, and what it can and can't do. If looking for an upgrade on a 'standard' internal MM stage that is found inside an integrated then the 640p is very good and great value for sub-£100 BUT and it's a great bit BUT, if you are looking for something better that will get more out of your setup then look elsewhere. The P75 will do a MUCH better job as will the Rotel. The P75 has the advantage of being able to offer the 10x5 a more 'precise environment' and is better sounding to boot. Given your £200 budget I would have looked at the P75 instead of spending £60 on a starter phono stage.

robM, Jun 1, 2008
  5. dos

dos

I bought the 640p out of curiosity to see what improvements i could get over the integrated mm stage (£60 is not going to break the bank and is easily sold on losing a few quid in the process).
    It has improved the sound (and is therefore worthwhile at present) but most of my budget is being saved for a better amp in the future.

Am I right in thinking that I'll get more return from a better amp in the future than forking out on a better phono stage now? (i.e. which is more important - an o.k. amp and great phono stage or a great amp and o.k. phono stage?)

((I know a great amp and great phono stage is best - before somebody states the obvious))

dos, Jun 1, 2008
  6. dos

nando nando

sorry must of been the music (s i c )
    nando

nando, Jun 1, 2008
  7. dos

colb

IMHO its hard to overstate the importance of a good phono stage in getting the most from your records. For me - one of the most important aspects is the ability to vary resistance and capacitance to suit the cartridge - and sometimes go outside the mfr recommendations. Without this - it's really just pot luck as to whether you're hearing the true potential of your deck /cart. I use an old Kinshaw Perception phono board hardwired to the tonearm cable - tried numerous carts both mm and mc from 2nd hard vintage bargains to brand new £1k jewels and the electrical loading chosen makes a huge difference ( leaving aside the carts tracking ability). Anyway - just my 2 cents.

colb, Jun 1, 2008
  8. dos

lordsummit moderate mod

Sorry Nando, compared to a Graham Slee, a Dynavector, the Whest, the budget Pro-ject, the internal phono stage on a Naim 62, and the Loricraft, it was boring. Maybe the X-LPS is a different beast.

TBH we'd need to know more about your system, what is it, and what sort of Music do you like?

lordsummit, Jun 1, 2008
  9. dos

nando nando

my system is as follows:first i have being in the hi-fi business and sound engeneering since 1971, back to system;
    T.T.= AVID ACUTUS, SME 1V, ARM, A.T. 0C9ML, M.F. XLPSV3 PHONO STAGE,
    FOR AN AMP : M.F. KW550, FOR CDP'S MF KW25M TANSPORT AND DAC, ALSO X-RAYV8 CDP AND TRIPLE-X PSU, TUNER M.F. A5 FM/DAB TUNER "dog's bollocks" AIWA 6800 CASSETE DECK STILL MINT, TASCAM CDP-RECORDER, AS FOR THE SPEAKERS THERE WERE ONLY TWO MADE TO THIS SPEC'S WHEN MY FRIENDS RUNNED CASTLE ACOUSTICS I HAD A VERY SPECIAL PAIR OF WINCHESTERS MADE ON THE ORIGINAL QUATER WAVE DESING WITCH CAN ALSO BE USED AS OPEN BUFFLE, breath;
    music vynil over 5.000, cd's maybe 2500. music taste since los brabos to reggae, jazz, rare groove, soul, rock, classical, spanish classic guitar, indian music.etc etc..OLE.
    NANDO

nando, Jun 1, 2008
  10. dos

lordsummit moderate mod

thnx Nando, sounds great. I was meaning Dos though! :)

lordsummit, Jun 2, 2008
  11. dos

dos

Lord summit:
    Rega planar 3 / rb300/ dynavector 10x5
    Rotel ra-04
    Meridian 206b
    Rega ela mk1's

Music - lots of acoustic guitar based stuff and female vocals plus a bit of everything else. Lots of jazz on vinyl (miles davis etc). Not too much in the way of heavy rock.

dos, Jun 2, 2008
  12. dos

robM

Hi DOS.
    IMO you are better off with a better phono stage as this will give you more from your front end which will feed you existing well balanced amplifier.

I think you have already proved it buying a 640p. The audio reproduction got better as you have found... an even better phono stage will take it further still.

robM, Jun 2, 2008
  13. dos

gsrai

I hope this is okay to post but if you decide to sell the 640p DOS then drop me a PM as I've just bought an RPM5 and have an old project phonobox which I would like to upgrade.

gsrai, Jun 2, 2008
  14. dos

lordsummit moderate mod

You could try something like a Naim 32/140 combo, the phono's really good in that, it will mate beautifully with the Ela's, and will certainly be an upgrade from the Rotel. Just a thought.....

lordsummit, Jun 5, 2008
  15. dos

Alabama978

Pre-amp - Project Tube Box

I do not know what you intend to pair it with but one of the bargains of the century has to be the Project Tube box. I am using one for a few months now and I can tell you it would see off others 3 or 4 times the price.

The detail retrieval is just stunning and very neutral.

It is a valve pre-amp but I think it fit int to most systems well. It runs off a wall power supply thus isolating the circuits a bit better from the amplification stages.

I saw one recently only 6 months old on Flea Bay for 115 quid.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
    Alabama978, Jun 5, 2008
  16. dos

dos

I have heard this about the Ela's. I would love to upgrade the rotel (good, but feel that something is missing) but am waiting until funds permit. How much could I pick up the 32/140 combo for?

I'm a bit out of touch with the whole naim thing, why this naim combination?

dos, Jun 5, 2008
Ask a Question