best standmount speaker for £150

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Roy, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Roy

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I always check ''completed auctions'' on ebay to get an idea what a product has sold for in recent months. It always gives a good idea what you should realistically expect to pay.

As for speakers, they really are the thing which most effects the type of sound you eventually have.

If you want 'clarity' and 'detail' then try some Epos ES14's from the list above.

If you want a warm rich full sort of sound, then Harbeth, Proac.

If you want something for dance music and rock, then go for a larger standmount, or a room friendly floorstander.

If they are going near a rear wall, avoid something with ports in the back.

Id be tempted to listen to Rory's advice on recent budget speakers. He works in a shop that sells them. I dont spend much time listening to new ranges of small speakers, so can only advise on the models I've heard.

Its hard to give advice about this sort of thing without saying what you would buy yourself. I personally like tannoy dual concentrics, and thats what I would get at this budget. They dont look great, in fact they mostly look ugly. They are old too, being from the 90's mainly.

I don't give a rats ass personally about any of that, and if my budgets were limited, you know I'd end up with something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43804&item=5792630559&rd=1

bottleneck, Jul 29, 2005
  2. Roy

3. Roy

la toilette Downright stupid

la toilette, Jul 30, 2005
  4. Roy

:D

Im firmly in the camp that...''if its old, ugly, heavy and large - it probably sounds great!"

bottleneck, Jul 30, 2005
  5. Roy

atcing

Hafler M5 is the best speaker that I have listened for this price if you like neutral sound

atcing, Jul 31, 2005
  6. Roy

la toilette Downright stupid

You obviously haven't met my wife then, ha ha. :JPS:

Jesus, I think I'm turning into Jim Davidson

la toilette, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Roy

just wondered...

the odd person suggested Proac, Harbeth.

I cant seem to find them for £150 though. Maybe Im looking at the wrong models/ wrong places?

bottleneck, Aug 2, 2005
  8. Roy

LinearMan

The original Proac Tablette goes for about £100-£130 on epay, with the Super Tablette about about £50-£100 more. My first proper system was an LP12/Nait 2/Tablette ~ seriously good fun. I sometimes wonder if I've lost the plot a bit as money became less of an issue as the years passed by.

The Harbeth HL-P3 (no the ES or ES-2 version) would not be available for £150 unless you were very lucky, IMHO. Bear in mind that I believe that the mid drivers are no longer available from Harbeth (for the 3 and 3 ES).

LinearMan, Aug 2, 2005
Ask a Question