Big Standmounters for Under £100? for student room

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by angi73, Oct 9, 2005.

1. angi73

Curt

Hi Angi,
    I have some old BW600 standmountish speakers 7-8 inch driver in perfect working order yours for £60 as a favour dont really need em.
    Lemme know based in Herts.
    I'll try and find a pic.

Curtis

Curt, Oct 11, 2005
  2. angi73

angi73

Missed out on the rogers, they were snapped up quick.

Thanks for the offer, but today i bought some KEf 104 ab's for £80, had to drive for a little, havent really listened much yet. Very impressive so far.Bass is v powerfull and top end not tailed off like It was infact this pair on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KEF-104-Refer...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But they were also advertised in free ads, so i went straight to the buyer. They are in lovely condition, probably beacuse the origional owner had them wall mounted by a couple of small brackets.

One problem though :rolleyes: Read the ebay question, one of the bass units seems to buzz a little when you turn it up. Apparntly a fairly common problem, could it be the coils as one guy said?

Its a shame, because apart from that they are perfect. Does this mean i need to get another driver :confused:

angi73, Oct 11, 2005
  3. angi73

greg Its a G thing

Funny thing with my old pair - at that point I was driving them with an Audiolab 8000A Mk1 which was a bit low on control. The Kef's bass drivers would get a bit wobbly, but still they were deep, lucid and went louder than I thought they might - that was with just 60wpc. Whilst they're only designed to handle 100w I suspect with an authorititive amp well in control they would really sing (for their price certainly).

I replaced them with a pair of Q90's - that was real mistake. I must admit this thread + those fond memories have got me looking for a pair now.

greg, Oct 11, 2005
  4. angi73

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

look for tears in the bass unit. If you cant see any, it may just need tightening up - allen keys or whatever is holding it in place

bottleneck, Oct 11, 2005
  5. angi73

angi73

I had a look on the speker talk forum in the KEf section. I simply opened them up and pushed the bass/midd in and out and around a bit, then ran at reasonable volume and pushed against the driver lightly. The idea being to get any light corrosion off the coils

Worked at treat!!

All the units really are in top condition, not even a mark on the abr's which seem to be dented on most.

They sound better than i could ever have imagined. :D Thanks for the tip greg. They are so groovy, absolutely just the ticket, im very impressed with them. Pretty good with vocals and the bass is absoluely superb. Great with rock, d'n'b, whatever, punchy and deep. Just goes to show that speakers haven't come on perhaps quite as much as the electronics. I think i got them for a reasonable price too.

:D :D

angi73, Oct 11, 2005
  6. angi73

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Oct 11, 2005
  7. angi73

greg Its a G thing

I'm very pleased you managed to get a pair and especially that you're happy, I just had a feeling they'd fit the bill. Value for money or what!

greg, Oct 11, 2005
  8. angi73

Rory satisfied

are those the b110 mids as used in LS3/5as?

Rory, Oct 11, 2005
Ask a Question