Border Patrol SE300B first impressions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joe, May 16, 2005.

1. Joe

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

Its pretty obvious soundwise.. when valves are going sometimes the sound goes really quiet and then back to normal volume, or things go mono for a bit. The brightness goes too.

Your next valve to go will either be the Mullard rectifier, or the output tubes (300b's)

bottleneck, May 18, 2005
  2. Joe

badchamp Thermionic Member

I assume current production run, (was a batch of these also on ebay recently) where from?

Jeff

badchamp, May 18, 2005
  3. Joe

jonjin

Possible to spill the beans on where to get them? I suppose direct from WE factory OEM. Most online stores from USA I've seen were asking $900.

JJ

jonjin, May 18, 2005
  4. Joe

Indeed.

badchamp, May 18, 2005
  5. Joe

Paul V

Joe

Look at Golden Dragon meshplates too [300BM's]. They work really well with my DAC64.

Paul

Paul V, May 18, 2005
  6. Joe

merlin

To be fair, I don't know if my guy has any left, but could ask. They are current production, only difference is they don't come in the fancy wooden boxes.

merlin, May 18, 2005
  7. Joe

jonjin

Me would be pleased get my grubby hands on some! =)

JJ

jonjin, May 19, 2005
  8. Joe

Paul V

Another thing about BP are that the amps are so well put together. They look and feel as if they'd last forever. Mine is in that lovely light ash wood and is a thing of beauty. [At the moment] I'd never part with it.

I was lucky enough to have a ride in a vintage Bentley back to the hotel we were staying at on our wedding night about a year ago, and it's the same sort of experience, you can't help but appreciate the way they're made despite their cost, and for me at least that's an important part of owning decent hi-fi [as well as some justification for spending so much money !!].

BTW I wonder why there's no cage for the amp ??. I thought all valve amps had to conform to EEC safety standards ??.

Also has anyone has any success with tube rings on their BPs ??.

Paul

Paul V, May 20, 2005
  9. Joe

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I can give the thumbs up for the WE & TJ Mesh 300B valves. The WE valves can last a very long time. I picked some WE valves on ebay quite cheaply. (This was some time agao). I have also tried ElectroHarmonix as well.

I must admit I have never tried tube rings on the Border Patrol.

The Border Patrol that Joe has bought from Chris is an early version. It differs from more recent versions by having only on chassis. The choke input supplies are all on board. It also doesn't have a interstage transformer like the current ones. The output transformers may be smaller. I had an older version prototype before moving onto the classic 9 watts single ended two box design. The older ones are very good.

I use Goertz speaker cables with mine. These are the some as the Electrofludics that Kevin and Gary sometimes use. They are the design that the Townshend cable use as well. I have tried a few and heard differences. I got my Goertz 2nd hand.

I've been using Border Patrol amps since the late 90's and are very happy with them.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 21, 2005
  10. Joe

Dean,

What did you make of the EH and were they the gold grid version?

Cheers
    Jeff

badchamp, May 21, 2005
  11. Joe

Joe

Thanks everyone for all the hints/information; I'll print 'em off and store them till I can afford to buy new cables or need replacement valves.

I had a good long listen to lots of music over the weekend - rock and classical - and the BP just seems to sound better every time. The only thing that baffles me is how Chris could bear to part with it. I would sum up its main virtue as its unfatiguing nature, which encourages me to play more music more often.

One more question, and then I'll shut up; is it best keep the BP powered up, or will that shorten the life of the valves? (Clearly I won't leave it on overnight or if I'm away from home!)

Joe, May 23, 2005
  12. Joe

Paul V

I turn mine off when I'm not listening, Joe i] because I fear the leccy bill might go thru the roof ii] I already have a functioning radiator in the front room and don't need another iii] haven't got deep enough pockets to buy 300bs that often...

PV

Paul V, May 23, 2005
  13. Joe

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

valves dont 'like' being turned on and off - it hurts their feelings.

They get upset and decide to die off early.

Turning it off at night is best IMO, and leaving it on while you make a cup of tea or whatever!

bottleneck, May 23, 2005
Ask a Question