Carbon Fibre brush's for Vinyl

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Curt, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Curt

lordsummit moderate mod

I use mine down all the time as I prefer to think of the stylus and cantilever enjoying some protection. I also find it incredible how much dirt it digs out of the groove

lordsummit, Mar 7, 2005
  2. Curt

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I used to use it up or down when I had it on the RB250 depending on the record and its warpiness or depending on my mood - couldn't really tell any difference soundwise - but when down it did indeed dig out a surprising amount of what seemed to be white powdery dust from the groove. So much so that when using it I had to regularly remove the stylus and give the little brush a clean with the hard shaft of a cotton bud.

On the Space its not so convenient to change VTF so I'm leaving it up.

Re Cantilever protection, the V15 has (according to Shure's blurb) something called the "Side-Guard" stylus protection system. On their website its says:

"The SIDE-GUARD stylus protection system helps prevent stylus damage if the cartridge accidentally slides across a record. This unique feature responds to side thrusts on the stylus by withdrawing the entire stylus cantilever and tip safely into the stylus housing before the cantilever can be damaged."

Mind you I've not had the guts to try and see how well it works ;)

Uncle Ants, Mar 7, 2005
  3. Curt

analoguekid Planet Rush

I clean my brush, with the little brush that came with the cart, very ritualistic this vinyl, place record on, then clamp, then clean disc, then clean cart brush, then position arm then drop down, then sit down only to do whole thing again 20 minutes later, now I remember what i liked initially about cd's, having said that, having access to music, i wouldn't otherwise be able to get or afford, Swan lake for 75p bargain, and ritual or not it's staying.

analoguekid, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Curt

BlueMax

Last year I found something called a "Dust Bug" that I inherited from my Dad. It is on a pivoting arm similar to a tone arm. Its two brush system follow the groove and cleans the LP as you play it. There is another brush for cleaning the stylus. Must be over 20 years old but a neat idea.

BlueMax, Mar 7, 2005
Ask a Question