CD vs TT?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 50ASL, Oct 17, 2005.

1. 50ASL

Anex Thermionic

I'd still take the LP :)

Anex, Oct 18, 2005
  2. 50ASL

la toilette Downright stupid

Re: HDCD

My CDP reads HDCD discs, but although I have 300+ CD's, I believe that I only have 2 or 3 that are HDCD encoded (or whatever the correct term is). Is HDCD going to become more widespread, or even the norm?

I favour both formats equally, but play more CD's as more of my recent purchases have been on CD than vinyl. In my eyes (or ears) there is no outright 'best'.

System: LP12, Arcam Alpha 8SE, Copland CTA401, Tannoy Cheviots

la toilette, Oct 18, 2005
  3. 50ASL

Joolsburger

Having just had my DV17 die from a mystery ailment I've had to listen to the cd player from my bedroom system for the last week or so, it's a naim 3.5.

The naim is a decent CD by all accounts and I have it on the wall shelf where the TT usually lives so it has every chance to shine.

To me it sounds thin and uninvolving compared to the TT.
    ( Xerxes/Artemiz/DV17/Dino +)

Having said that I wish it was better than the TT. As much as I love vinyl it is a massive pain in the arse from almost every perspective other than sound quality.

To me vinyl seems more like music and less like hifi,a useless description but it sums it up.

Joolsburger, Oct 18, 2005
  4. 50ASL

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I must say, if more CDs were HDCD encoded, I'd likely listen to more CDs as it is I'd guess that I listen to LP over CD in a ratio of about 5 to 1 ... mind the music I like to listen to I own at a ratio of about 5 to 1, so that figures :rolleyes:

Uncle Ants, Oct 18, 2005
Ask a Question