Chair and sofa effects

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Feb 9, 2008.

1. dreftar

ShinOBIWAN

No, no, no. Think you'll find its me finding you who are wrong.

ZOMG!!!!!!!

This was in Frasier?!? Indeed the lust factor just went through the roof then. They also had some B&O on there too, I've gotta get out and bag me some of those. If these are a modern classic, I'd be an absolute fool not to get in line and follow the crowd, after all its an automatic qualifier to show I have superior taste. Oh the fun I could have over dinner conversation.

ShinOBIWAN, Feb 17, 2008
  2. dreftar

ShinOBIWAN

Wow that's some chair you have there, a bit of cloth supports your entire back and head - amazing. You must have a one of a kind. Most of the ones I've seen have some timber or other thick load bearing support and then they're stuffed full of magic. This is gonna sound crazy but high frequencies can be reflected by even a sheet of paper, don't worry though you've got that cloth chair.

ShinOBIWAN, Feb 17, 2008
  3. dreftar

MacReady’sShack Rattling shuddering LFE.1

This does make perfect sense about relaxing in seat or sofa and feeling the ((sound waves)) energy at different frequencies and sound pressure levels mostly the foam will absorb this effect, depending on where you rest your arm and hand.

For example you rest your left arm on the side of sofa therefore you might feel some rhythmic vibration, take it away and it’s lost.

I placed a sub bass speaker against the back of sofa a few weeks back as part of an experiment, it was in free air space, and with the magnet structure resting against the spine that is lined up in the middle of the sofa to generate some nice lows without the bitter BOOM sound, it does work and if anyone here can perfect it good luck.

It does a good job with Star Trek III or What Lies Beneath where the water in the bathtub is getting higher and higher the low vibration was shaking the sofa a good one.

The frequency response mostly on Star Trek III was at 40Hz while What Lies Beneath was down at 25Hz with very high peaks!

MacReady’sShack, Feb 17, 2008
  4. dreftar

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Shaking sofas story:

This is true.

A few years back we were watching - (one evening I think) The Last Wave - a Peter Weir movie about a huge tidal wave - great movie. At the film's climax when the last tidal wave ever appears, the sub woofer made the house shake - incredible - this was to the extent that the people in the house next door came round to check we were ok. Do you own a sub-woofer - they asked?

It was just after the movie that we switched the news on and heard that the terrible SE Asia Tsunami catastrophe had been announed. We somehow felt responsible for days afterwards but the neighbours were very impressed with the far reaching capabilities of the sound system!

larkrise, Feb 18, 2008
  5. dreftar

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

Damn...I really liked the visual image you had created of 8 Old English Sheep Dogs sat under your hammock passing a splif around.
    Wow...that's some good s**t man...wooooofff :)
    I've got the munchies man, where's that Pedigree Chum ?

PS, I use an Ikea Poang like a few others. A good height, ends just below the ears, so no reflection :)-)) , and has a slight rocking motion, so easy to doze off.

Pure_Carbon, Feb 20, 2008
  6. dreftar

cooky1257

A nice comfy sofa with room for a nice comfy woman(or bloke-to taste).
    All these single chairs for listening just make you look like a sad lonely loser who has no friends:D
    I would however make an exception in the case of the Eames chair.

cooky1257, Feb 20, 2008
  7. dreftar

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

I slide my Poang quickly into the near field position for serious listening, but it's in the corner of the room when friends/guests come around so they're none the wiser.
    Only my girlfriend knows about my chair moving *affliction* :D
    She's thinks i'm totally bonkers.

Pure_Carbon, Feb 21, 2008
  8. dreftar

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Feb 21, 2008
  9. dreftar

Fen Dancer Two left feet

I'd disagree with this - I decided to put my winged back cloth armchair in the sweet spot for my new speakers and was disappointed with the sound - kept moving speakers till I noticed that it sounded wonderful just as I got up. The chair was acting a little like one of those clear acoustic telephone booths that cover your head and shoulders. putting the cloth sofa back there improved things (no wings either side of your head). Buying a leather three piece suite with a lower back made me realise that the cloth furniture was attenuating the treble somewhat.

Fen Dancer, Feb 21, 2008
Ask a Question