Digital vs Analog

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Aug 7, 2006.

1. amir

sastusbulbas

Vinyl still continues to give more as the playback equipment gets better, one only has to read the early 1980's magazines to see we have got further ahead, so there is probably still a lot more information available on those vinyl groves than most of our equipment is capable of resolving.

CD on the other hand, those pits are all you get, and no matter how much you upsample or whatever you get no more than that.

sastusbulbas, Aug 23, 2006
  2. amir

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sb,
    you could say the same thing of cd if magazine articles were the yardstick. magazines have to say things are improving in order to sell themselves and create that sense that what we have isn;t good enough anymore - if you were paranoid you might say they were in collusion with the manufaturers but i couldn;t possibly comment on that ;). with cd there are numerous ways to extend the frequency of what is on the cd via interpolation however with most loudspeakers unable to produce much above 25khz anyway what's the point. btw iirc 25khz is the absolute max frequency you'll get out of vinyl anyway and this will degrade lower with each playback - down to a heady 8khz - or phone call bandwidth after 80 plays according to the riaa even after 1 play it's down to 20khz which is less than cd's maximum frequency. so i'd suggest that if you like vinyl better than cd it's not down to sampling frequency - it's something else - perhaps romantacism?

julian2002, Aug 24, 2006
  3. amir

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

erm. I read this claim with some astonishment at the time. They can't have meant a stonewall cutoff, it just isn't plausible. Anyway, if we really are down to 8KHz after 80 plays, how come I can still clearly hear the dog whistle (typically 16K+) at the end of my 25 year old pressing of Sgt Pepper - a record which has been well and truly caned on a truly awful mass market TT (an Akai no less) prior to my introduction to HiFi.

johnfromnorwich, Aug 24, 2006
  4. amir

Mr_Sukebe

Lots of nice technical justifications for and against each format, but frankly, who cares?
    Surely we buy kit to listen to err... music.

Assuming that's the case, and you're not doing it for willy waving ego trips, isn't the right approach to maximise what you have and what your musical taste is generally produced on?
    What I mean by that is that I have probably 500ish CDs and zero LPs. Doesn't really matter if I prefer LP or CD. Most of my CDs would be very difficult to place on CD, don't mind about on LP, so why would I buy into a different format when I can't listen to what I want?

Clearly there is an argument that I could buy CD and LP front ends. Unfortunately it's simply not something I agree on. My view is that the systems I've heard seem to be optimised for either LP or CD. I've only heard one that sounded the same on both, and that's one out of LOTS. So why bother splitting funds between source type when you can focus on the one that does it for you?

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 24, 2006
  5. amir

sideshowbob Trisha

Without a CD player I can't listen to all the fantastic music that's only available on CD. And without a record player I can't listen to all my records. So I need both.

Music first, not format. Anyway, everyone knows good CD playback is cheap to achieve :)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 24, 2006
  6. amir

GJO

So are we mostly all agreed that CD can give us musical satisfaction as well as vinyl ??

Agree with Sideshowbob,have had some really good sessions with those sunday mail compilations they give out,some of the 60's tracks were pretty good,ie,"something in the air" sounds brill.Whatother medium can give us this ?

Will be off to T/Wells tomorrow there are 2 good 2nd hand shops for vinyl,but now I also go through the cd's as well.

GJO, Aug 24, 2006
  7. amir

murray johnson

Julian, You do come out with some absolute tosh sometimes!

murray johnson, Aug 24, 2006
  8. amir

nando nando

HI GUYS, i think it's all a matter of preference but to say that you can't tell the difference betwin analogue and digital then we are on a different planet, i am not saying that cdp's are not enjoyable most of them are, however i use the m.f.,kw transport and dac but also have an avid acutus s.m.e. arm and over 5000 records but when i have guests i prefer to use cd's for ovious reasons, even the female friends of my wife prefer vinyl sound, like i said it's not technical specs that makes you tick but the pleasure of the music reproduction that suts your ears,regards nando.

nando, Aug 25, 2006
  9. amir

julian2002 Muper Soderator

murray,
    it is / was the riaa who came up with those figures as to what are acceptable losses due to wear on vinyl.

julian2002, Aug 29, 2006
Ask a Question