Edinburgh bake-off

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Oct 1, 2004.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

not sure this came across as you had intended ...

ditton, Oct 2, 2004
  2. ditton

dunkyboy

7pm works for me.

Alan, I live on West Preston Street, near Sciennes. It would be very cool if you could pick me up. :)

I'll be happy to keep track of the music - prolly better than leaving it to memory!

As for kit, I'll bring the ATCs as long as Alan can give me a lift... They'll need an XLR preamp (or XLR-phono leads/adaptors) so prolly best I bring the ATC pre as well. I'd be curious to compare the Meridian to some of the other sources, but I'm not desperate so unless somebody else is interested I don't think I'll bother.

And for food & drink I was thinking we'd each just bring a sufficient quantity for ourselves but I'm happy to chip in to a party fund instead.

Dunc

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2004
    dunkyboy, Oct 2, 2004
  3. ditton

Crustyloafer

No sorry, it didn't come across as intended. How about everyone just brings what they need, keep it nice and simple.

If each person brings up to three bits of kit then I think we'll have a fair number of combinations from that.

We have the Arcam C30 preamp which has XLR balanced outs which Dunkyboy may want to try with his ATCs.

Crustyloafer, Oct 2, 2004
  4. ditton

ditton happy old soul

dax is unbalanced version, so has (2 sets of) phono out. shame that, perhaps I should go double the money for the balanced version!!

ditton, Oct 2, 2004
  5. ditton

shrink

hey guys.. whats the deal with this... is it still going ahead.

im edinburgh based myself and it would be great to get a chance to listen to some different gear?

if someone could let me know the script id be very gratefull

shrink, Oct 2, 2004
  6. ditton

dunkyboy

Sure, the more the merrier! Should be plenty of space in Sevenoaks I'd imagine (what do you think Crusty?) So far I think we've settled on 7pm @ Sevenoaks, max 3 items of hifi per person, bring your own food & booze.

It would be quite cool if we could make this a [semi]regular event, perhaps taking turns to host. Shall have to discuss further on the day...

Dunc

dunkyboy, Oct 3, 2004
  7. ditton

Crustyloafer

Sounds fine to me.

Crustyloafer, Oct 3, 2004
  8. ditton

ditton happy old soul

I was thinking of the Usher Hall next - gives the subwoofer gang a chance to shine ...

ditton, Oct 3, 2004
  9. ditton

Crustyloafer

N24 is going to come along too.

Crustyloafer, Oct 4, 2004
  10. ditton

analoguekid Planet Rush

Just had a thought guys, if your holding in a shop after hours, you may need to inform the local constabulary prior to the event, you don't want them chapping your door down on the night, oh and Crusty, is the place insured after hours?.

Sorry for sounding serious and over efficious, but someone has to, have a good night, if you do this again are "weedgies" invited?

analoguekid, Oct 4, 2004
  11. ditton

Crustyloafer

This is not an 'event' it is merely making the most of the Manager's facilities. Insurance is not an issue either, why would you want an insurance policy that only covered you during certain hours?

Crustyloafer, Oct 5, 2004
  12. ditton

ditton happy old soul

looks like the formalities are OK, but thanks for the heads up. As for weedgies, I guess we should be open minded. We could all meet up at that Service station along the M8 though!

let you know how we get on

ditton, Oct 5, 2004
  13. ditton

analoguekid Planet Rush

That's a better idea, would save me getting too near "Embra", less likely to catch something then. :)

Crusty, just a bit of friendly advice re the insurance, not trying to be smart, just that you may find your insurance only covers the people (not the kit) during normal business hours. After all insurance companies pay loss adjusters and such to enable them to wriggle out of paying.

analoguekid, Oct 5, 2004
  14. ditton

Crustyloafer

The kit is what I am primarily interested in. The people coming along are, for want of a better phrase, coming at their own risk, which is no different to them coming round to my house where they would not be insured. Thanks for the advice though, I'll bear it in mind. Anyway this is all getting a little to serous for what's just a light hearted bit of Hi-Fi jiggery pokery one evening. I look forward to everyone coming round and it should be a good evening.

Crustyloafer, Oct 5, 2004
  15. ditton

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Chaps - awfully sorry I am going to have to pull out... an old friend of my wife has come over to visit from Russia with her family. Anyway, have fun and I look forward to the report, and hopefully another get together in the not too-distant future.
    I'll console myself with some Vodka.

alanbeeb, Oct 8, 2004
  16. ditton

Crustyloafer

Ok thanks for letting us know.

Crustyloafer, Oct 8, 2004
  17. ditton

ditton happy old soul

OK, so I will have to make do with other transport - prob from other half - and this has knock on effect on Dunkyboy and his ATCs. time for PM, Duncan.

enjoy the vodka - dont get too serious in Russian music!!

ditton, Oct 9, 2004
  18. ditton

ditton happy old soul

just a note to thank Crusyloaf for his hospitality for the bake-off, and to report a good night listening to a wide range of music which had the Dax Decade and its newly-fitted Black Gates teamed up with Dunkyboy's ATC active 20s to good effect. Fuller report to follow.

ditton, Oct 10, 2004
  19. ditton

dunkyboy

Mm, what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^

Too tired to report just now after heaving those great heary bastards up my three flights of stairs..... tomorrow I shall have to say more (even got a couple of pics..!)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Oct 10, 2004
  20. ditton

ditton happy old soul

kit used, subject to correction:

1. Arcam FMJ DV29
    + Musical Fidelity A3.02 Pre and Power
    + Acoustic Energy AE1 Mk3, Atacama R724 Stands

2. Arcam FMJ DV29
    + ATC Pre, active ATC 20s Atacama R724 Stands

3. (Sony 711) modded AS Transcend, AS Dax Decade
    + ATC Pre, active ATC 20s Atacama R724 Stands

(had hoped to exclude the ATC pre but ATC 20s needed XLR and Dax was unbalenced version with no XLR)

Dunkyboy has the music list, some of it quite new to me.

General view I recall was step change apparent, with ATC 20s allowing really loud replay - now we know why Dunkyboy's chair vibrates! Transcend had an additional tweak - the Ncode option - that was also an evident with some music types, mostly accoustic.

I'll leave it to Dunkyboy and Crustyloafer to offer refined comment, given that their ears are younger than mine and they have more listening experience. Mind you it could have been the Tiger beer effect!! That or the use of a bicycle inner tube to support the Transcend.

ditton, Oct 10, 2004
Ask a Question