Hiding Bass

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Feb 12, 2005.

1. jimmymcfarrell

Tenson Moderator

Jimmy just to clarify, it's important that the mattresses go ACROSS the corners and not just against the wall in the corner. It is the gap created behind the mattress that gives it good low frequency absorption characteristics.

Good luck mate,
    Simon

Tenson, Feb 14, 2005
  2. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

its been a long time since I posted this thread, however I've just had the chance to hear the IMFs on a solid floor in a room without a sloping ceiling. Not surprisingly the difference was incredible! The bass was massive, really clean and tight with enough power to rattle windows and internal organs. Atleast I have proven that I need a solid floor for these things!

jimmymcfarrell, Sep 20, 2005
  3. jimmymcfarrell

julian2002 Muper Soderator

were they YOUR IMF's you heard in a solid floored room? if not it might be worthwhile checking that the speaker is working correctly (i.e. crossover is ok, drivers are ok, etc.) just a thought....
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Sep 20, 2005
  4. jimmymcfarrell

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If you've got cancellations in the room the reatment is the same as for peaks - add some room treatment, such as absorption and bass traps. e.g., a bass trap is a cure for a bass suckout as much as it is for a peak. In both cases, the answer is to treat the cause of the interference (positive or negative) between interacting wavefronts

SteveC, Sep 20, 2005
  5. jimmymcfarrell

mosfet

If the walls are a made of plasterboard then they may be behaving as large panel resonators at low frequencies (converting low frequencies to heat via flexure). The fix, if this is the case, is to add stiffness and density to the walls with bracing and sound insulation sheeting. Not so easy to do unfortunately.

Try re-positioning first. Porous bass traps aren't much use below 80Hz (unless very large).

mosfet, Sep 20, 2005
  6. jimmymcfarrell

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

It may well be the ceiling. Just try to push it hard with your hands (not too close to the walls) - if its slightly bending/moving - you may imagine how it absorbs your bass..
    Standing waves is another possible reason. Tenson is spot on with mattresses :))

Nomoretweaks, Sep 21, 2005
  7. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

All of the above suggestions are true!!!
    They were my IMFs that I moved downstairs into a larger room with solid floors and walls. Unlike my listening room which is suspended floor and plasterboard walls.
    This is the biggest improvement anything has ever made to the sound of my hifi!!
    The answer: move stereo downstairs (and move family else where!!!!)

jimmymcfarrell, Sep 24, 2005
Ask a Question