How do you know if your cambelt has snapped?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la toilette, Jan 12, 2006.

1. la toilette

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My dads car just about scraped through the MOT costing £215. It need a new boot release, some welding on the drivers seat, new wiper blades and some new valves. They were a bit vague about the valves but they said some of them had stuck open letting in too much petrol.

We knew there was a major problem with fuel consumption and emissions.

It runs like a brand new car now though, 90k on the clock and its virtualy silent at lights.

I will do some work on the sills before spring (the slight surfice rust just needs touching up).

amazingtrade, Jan 19, 2006
  2. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

Well mine is a cautionary tale with regard to Espace diesels and cambelts! The engine ran as silent as a Renault turbo diesel ever does, was responsive and economical....but has unfortunately died heroically in the line of duty:( .

All the valves are shagged, as is the cam, and the head has lifted(whatever that means); estimated cost of repair: £1200 = scrapyard. I actually laughed my head off when I heard this as I was expecting no more than £500 or so, and, well, you gotta laugh haven't you. Never mind, I have enough money in my pocket for a few pints so all is not lost, and all the exercise I'll have walking to work carrying slabs of Portland stone will no doubt work wonders for my constitution.

I hate cars:rolleyes:

la toilette, Jan 19, 2006
  3. la toilette

lordsummit moderate mod

It means the head has come away from the block, knackering the threads the bolts that hold it down sit on.
    Bummer. I've got a wheel barrow you can borrow to help with the stone;)

lordsummit, Jan 19, 2006
  4. la toilette

technobear Ursine Audiophile

:cry:

That's harsh. Bad luck Dude! :(

technobear, Jan 19, 2006
  5. la toilette

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

That is easy to imagine, all them pistons set loose and god knows what force.

Incidently is a new engine out the question?

PS La toil I am so glad I scared me dad into getting the cam belt changed as soon as we bought the car, mny mums friend has exactly the same car and her cam belt snapped. Luckily in her case it was just several valves that needed replacing but it still cost £700.

I think its always worth ensuring the belt has been changed unless its an old banger and you are not bothered. With a £200 car for example its cheaper just to wait to the belt snaps rather than paying £160 for a new one.

amazingtrade, Jan 19, 2006
Ask a Question