How many do you remember?!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ListeningEar, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ListeningEar

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

That tape website brings back some memories- I ditched tape about 7 years ago, but used to use TDK SA an awful lot when I was seriously into recording. Always got decent results from CD/cassette on my Sony bookshelf system from about 1991 - it would trash many of the micro systems around today.

nsherin, Oct 25, 2005
  2. ListeningEar

eric_audio

I used to play cassettes a lot. Mainly TDK SA and that cheap metal tape from Sony. I really loved my Nakamichi, but now it is in the budget system of my 10 year old son....... :rolleyes:
    A shame actually....

eric_audio, Oct 26, 2005
  3. ListeningEar

Pastiesboy

Ha, what an amazing link. It made me remember albums that I had on certain types of cassettes shown. Which reminds me, I must order Brothers in Arms on cd ;). Also made me remember taping the charts on a sunday night, desperately trying to time the fade out as to not get the damn DJ on it!!!! Now I feel like I've got school in the morning.............I think I need a lay down.

I wonder if we'll be looking at cd's in the same way in 20 years time.

Pastiesboy, Oct 27, 2005
  4. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

...taping live gigs and staying up to record the Peel Sessions before they even thought about releasing them on vinyl more like!!

I used aot of BASF in the early days then went THAT and TDK. Always tried to get the mid to higher end. Got superb results with a Teac V-8000 S and TDK MAXG's.

Still got a couple of decks kicking around, not that they ever get any use. A Teac V-5000 sits by the main system just in case and for the PC got a Technics RS-BX501, which is not the greatest deck I'v ever used but again for just in case purposes. Has served me well copying old live concerts from tape to the PC though.

Maybe we could put up lists of rare shows etc. we have on tape that we could swap/donate to other interested forum members (strictly no selling though). I have Kraftwerk live '81 and 91', Depeche Mode '84, Associates '83 and a few David Sylvian live sets from the 'Everything and Nothing' tour. Got three different shows of the E&N tour, one at the Warfield, San Francisco that I personally recorded and had sent off to a contact at a studio for re-mastering. Also got the Boston and New York gigs too, the NYC one is good to have because Ryuichi Sakamotto nakes an appearance on that.

ListeningEar, Oct 27, 2005
  5. ListeningEar

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

"Brothers in arms" was my first pre-recorded tape! Still have it, and it still plays well in the Nak DR2 :)

I tend to use TDK as much as possible; I have about 100 ARs, a similar amount of D/ADs, and about 50 SAs. I also have a lot of Thats ones too - the ones with the triangular tape window, and a few of those odd-looking "Suono" ones they came out with.

Thanks to my mum having Japanese lodgers in the 80s, I've got a fair few oddball tape lengths and styles - this is how I had Thats 74s and TDK AE10s and AD50s in the 80s, and my mates got stuck with boring old TDK Ds :) Of course, all that nice chrome tape sounded awful being wasted on my Sanyo twin deck portable but I thought it was ace at the time.
    [​IMG]

I still have a lot of those top 40 radio tapes - a couple on those Philips FE tapes that BP gave away in a promotion. One has horrors like Sam Fox and Mel and Kim on it!

As for DJs, thanks to Radio 1's chart show piggybacking on BBC Radio Devon during the 80s, before we got 1FM in 1990, this twonk called Nicky Schiller (sp?) would hop on, usually around number 8, and rabbit on about his pile of wink radio programme at 7 pm. He totally ruined the cool piano break in Jack'n'chill's "The jack that house built", and I've never forgiven him for that!

I never liked Maxells - had a batch of URs in 1987 and all 3 jammed - the take up reels just locked and resulted in a nice pile of tape. The two UD chrome ones I got given are riddled with dropouts too.

Sony's UX Turbos are damn nice for the money though - got some ace recordings from my Sony midi system on those - that (barring start of side wow/flutter) was a very good recorder surprisingly enough.

I have one of those TDK AR limited edition tapes still sealed, and have a TDK D-C90 from 1979, amongst other things. Hey - that '79 one is this one:
    [​IMG]

I'm still on the hunt for a TDK D-C180 though - and yeah, THREE HOUR cassettes really DO exist - somewhere!

Winfield - THAT'S a blast from the past - my brother's got some of these!!!
    [​IMG]

I DREAD to think what's on those. He also had some Dindy "Supertapes" - which I bet, weren't - they probably shedded oxide if you breathed on them.

Does anyone remember Tandy Concertape? ;)

domfjbrown, Oct 27, 2005
Ask a Question