I have a friend ..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by firestorm, Jul 8, 2005.

1. firestorm

andrew1810

Yes, they are both reasonable DAC's, with the Squeezebox2 having the better of the two by quite a margin as they seem to have spent quite a lot upgrading the internal components (noticeable when the plain box arrives with a black and white manual!!)

I use an external DAC with mine, but that is just because I already had one. It improved the sound of the Roku, but I wouldn't be suprised if the notice was less noticeable in the Squeezebox

Andrew

andrew1810, Jul 13, 2005
  2. firestorm

ChrisPa

Based on my experiences, the key thing is just to treat it as a PC.

Thereafter I don't have enough experience (yet) of the match between the host/server software and the streaming client devices to make a recommendation. Overall, for the end user you've described, go for the simplest/cleanest, or rather the most logical, user interface you can find

I plan to add an LCD display to my htpc for audio tracks (but that seems a long way off at the moment) And I don't think the Windows MCE architecture means it's intended to play video and audio simultaneously. So using it as a server and using a client device for audio seems highly sensible (but ultimately not low cost)

ChrisPa, Jul 13, 2005
  3. firestorm

Craig

I have to say, given the circumstances, a Classik Movie would be a very good place to start

As she likes the bose minimum-fuss appeal , add some of the sexier Kef KHT to that, and you have a very sexy / visually friendly system

If she was convinced by a little more 'hi fi' then get a Linn 2 channel power amp, (sit the Classik on top of that) and use the PA to power 2 front channel 'hi fi' speakers

On top of this, the Linn can do multiroom, which might be an added atraction

Having said all that, I've never heard the Classik movie, only the regular classik (excellent, IMO) so don't know sooo much about it

Craig, Jul 13, 2005
  4. firestorm

andrew1810

For the squeezebox, the slimserver software is excellent and very easy to use.

I use it alongside itunes for ripping as it keeps it organised and because slimserver has the ability to use the itunes database.

The Roku uses itunes without any other software required, but as a result lacks some of the other features (e.g. now playing and the ability to select tracks from the pc itself)

If the plan is to have a media pc, the squeezebox will give added freedom purely because of the PC based control. The Roku can work with the slimserver software, emulating a squeezebox, but it obviously isn't as good at it as the real thing!

I have my files stored on a media center PC, a tiny mini-itx box with one hard disk (soon to be a second hopefully) and running mediaportal (a free version of media center) which just connects to my freeview box through a TV adaptor. I don't use the advanced features, its mainly just used for recording TV through the tv listings.

andrew1810, Jul 13, 2005
  5. firestorm

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

[​IMG]

...and you could add a BlueRoom minipod 5.1 speaker package for the ultimate in style, with reasonable sound - nicely

[​IMG]

Imagine having that setup in all those random colours - personally, I'd dig it, but it'd be evil for hangovers! If I didn't love my Rega Elas, I'd seriously consider going for this kind of setup on my hotchpotch bedroom hifi/av rig (no TV in the lounge - he he!).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2005
    domfjbrown, Jul 14, 2005
  6. firestorm

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Yep Dom I agree these are really "you" :) I think the designers where definatly smoking something illigal when they came up with these!

lhatkins, Jul 14, 2005
  7. firestorm

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Are you seriously suggesting someone with 10,000 to spend on an AV system can't do a LOT better than THAT?!

bottleneck, Jul 14, 2005
  8. firestorm

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yes - it's only movies. Most of them have totally shite sound quality - overdriven vocals, compression, weird artefacts - why spend £££££ on something that'll reveal all the faults when you can get something that'll sound pretty decent for less, and blow the rest on a fekking HUGE monitor and some software (oh, and a Lay-zee-boy recliner of course - the one with the internal beer fridge - he he!

Mind you, movies are a passion of mine, but music's more important...

Remember - we're catering for a woman here. I don't mean to be sexist, but many MANY women *hate* boring black boxes and cables, so really decent high-end solutions are out - I'd say "go for Naim" or decent high-end Denon or Tag, but then they're still either black or silver. While my mate Loretta goes cock-a-hoop over silver, she still hates box counts - ask her bloke John what she's made him do with his AV stuff. I think he's suddenly realised what he's missing now he's stuck with his Panasonic telly's on-board stereo speakers - he he! Love eh?

All that said, lhatkins is right - those Blueroom speakers are very MUCH me - I want them!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2005
    domfjbrown, Jul 15, 2005
Ask a Question